Notices
Scion tC 2G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Seibon Carbon Hood question..

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does anyone know if the red line hood damper kit will work on this hood?
In the thread for the Redline hood damper, it specifically states that they will work on carbon fiber hoods. The only way it would hurt is if the dampers open too fast because the cf hood is so light, but I'm assuming they open slow enough it wouldn't be a problem because they advertise it as working. I would call Redline just to be sure. I want them too.

Bought the kit dropped drilled through my stock hood.... oopppsss! So now i'm buying this as well....
definately don't want to drill through this one
Old 09-21-2011, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member

For those of ya'll with the CF hoods with vents, does it cause any issues at car washes? Heavy rain or snow/ice?
Old 09-21-2011, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rackatak
For those of ya'll with the CF hoods with vents, does it cause any issues at car washes? Heavy rain or snow/ice?
I've wondered this myself and a lot of people say it's no problem. I can't see that being true. Having water and potentially snow/ice all over your drive belts and engine electrical just doesn't seem good.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

as for CAR WASH: I hand wash either home or the self serve car wash. What I've done is drape 2 39 gal. trash bags over the entire engine bay under hood, then roll up an absorber chamois and cover the vent on top. Works great, the chamois slows the water and what water gets in either sits on top of bags or rolls off sides straight through bottom of engine bay.

Inclement weather: I haven't driven in any yet. From other sites I gathered that while driving, not much water will actually get in the vent at speed; and whatever does will be evaporated by engine heat. Sitting still I don't know...I asked the same thing earlier and no one elaborated on it, not much info in other threads about this specific topic.....I'd like to know more myself (looking at you wellesley, backinblack, etc......)
Old 09-21-2011, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Oh easy answer, it rains or snows into the bay. The vent locations make it so the rain/snow doesnt fall onto anything important. While driving the rain doesnt really get in, when stopped it doesnt rain on any electrics or belts etc... Not to mention, you all know you can wash your engine bay right? like with a powerwasher, not just a spray bottle and your tongue...
Old 09-21-2011, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member

Ok, I just just curious. I still have a bit to go in saving for one of these hoods(along with all the other mods I have planned) and I just wanted to check that before I throw all that cash down on it.

Now completely different question, for those that autocross with their tC's with these hoods, does it move you to a different category because of weight difference? I thought I read in the SCCA rules that if you change out body parts for lightweight replacements you can no longer race in Stock class.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

loved reading this.. i also am gettting that same hood!! glad you answered all my questions!! should be a easy install!! AMPED!
Old 11-09-2011, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ralph9983
loved reading this.. i also am gettting that same hood!! glad you answered all my questions!! should be a easy install!! AMPED!
Congrats...the hood is beautiful, really makes the car. I actually drove it yesterday in a downpour of rain for the first time. Parked it for hours outside school and when I got home hardly any water at all in bay. When parked, the vent location directs water straight through the bottom of the car. This thread taught me everything I needed to know, except I figured out how to run the washer fluid cables inside the hood. If you need any help lemme know.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

THANKS MAN i also got the hatch on the way! mmmmmm cant wait!
Old 11-09-2011, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah i want the hatch....post pics plz! On the RS its gonna look legit......interested to see.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i will as soon as i get it! deep a look out for a thread! should have it by next weeekend!
Old 02-07-2012, 03:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

anymore good reviews on this hood??? weather???? whats up owners? i want to buy but am a little worried
Old 02-07-2012, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by messyjesse87
anymore good reviews on this hood??? weather???? whats up owners? i want to buy but am a little worried
well, Ive had the hood on since September......it still looks fantastic, and weather is a non-issue. because of the way the vent lines up, any moisture actually just goes straight through to the ground. When driving, rain snow doesn't even get in. Ive pressure washed the car, sprayed directly on top of vent, driven in rain and snow, left outside for hours in rain/snow. Basically I've purposely abused it just to see how much it can take, and can say that its a non-issue. As far as performance....while it doesn't save much weight from stock (maybe 5-7 pounds) the huge advantage is the dissipation of engine heat. My favorite thing about the hood is that when you stop like at red light or drive-thru, you can literally see a mountain of heat pouring up out of the vent....its actually very satisfying because you can see the benefit. Car runs a lot cooler, and I would think that the hood would be especially helpful when running a turbo setup due to the inordinate of heat that releases through the vent. Packaging from Seibon is outstanding and their customer service is excellent. I called them with all kinds of stupid questions, and they explained anything I fired at them. Finally, the quality of the carbon and clear coat is outstanding...no seams, bubbles, or anything of the sort and it lines up perfectly. Even though I wasn't looking to buy this until my incident, I'm super glad I was forced too, cause I love it. When you do get it, just follow all the advice in this thread and you'll have no problems.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok so question, I have the Sebion TS Style CF Hood and before I installed it, I could hear the engine noise (especially with my sun roof open) but it sounded as it should. As soon as I installed the hood, while driving I can hear the engine noise, but it's slightly different. I can hear the tick, tick tick, as I accelerate. Like if you open the hood and have your car at idle, the stock engine tick tick. I assumed this was because the hood is much more thin and doesn't have the insullation that the stock hood does. Did anyone else notice this?
Old 02-08-2012, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

that hood looks crazy. love it
Old 02-08-2012, 02:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ProjectTC2
Ok so question, I have the Sebion TS Style CF Hood and before I installed it, I could hear the engine noise (especially with my sun roof open) but it sounded as it should. As soon as I installed the hood, while driving I can hear the engine noise, but it's slightly different. I can hear the tick, tick tick, as I accelerate. Like if you open the hood and have your car at idle, the stock engine tick tick. I assumed this was because the hood is much more thin and doesn't have the insullation that the stock hood does. Did anyone else notice this?
yes and yes its because vented and lack of underside material....however, i know in the owners manual of my xB it specifically said that the engine noise is perfectly normal....i understand its a diff car, and I haven't read the entire manual yet, but its not a defect.....most likely.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea I dont think it's a defect, If you open the hood and listen to the engine noise at idle it's the exact same mechanical noise that you hear after you install a CF hood. I took it to the dealership to compare the noise of mine to a stock 2012 TC and with the hoods up, they were exactly the same. So it doesn't bother me anymore, it's just kind of an annoying mechanical noise
Old 03-04-2012, 07:33 AM
5 Year Member

I Have the TS CF hood on mine. I have Vintage on both sides of the car. Water does get in there but no problems yet. The Body Shop had to drill holes in it for the Washer hoses as well. An i didn't put hood pins on mine. Love mine tho I would post pics but I'm on mobile.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

so anyone else want to chime in before i buy?!?!?!?1
Old 03-13-2012, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by messyjesse87
so anyone else want to chime in before i buy?!?!?!?1
Yes, buy it but ship it to the address I wil PM you. It will save you money on shipping, and I will hand deliver it to you...trust me...

Quick Reply: Seibon Carbon Hood question..