Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2012 tC Shifting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 08:47 PM

Default 2012 tC Shifting Issues

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum and had some questions/issues regarding the 6-spd manual in the 2nd gen (2012) tC (my car does have the TRD quickshift installed). Has anyone had issues when shifting from 4th to 5th, after the car has been running for more than 30 mins, where the shifter doesn't want to move from 4th to 5th when trying to shift with a diagonal motion? I make sure to completely depress the clutch prior to shifting but it feels like the shifter is locked and doesn't want to be moved diagonally. This isn't a problem when the car is still relatively cold. So instead, I'm forced to use a more deliberate push forward, right, then up pattern, which I find annoying since the movement takes longer and the revs fall quicker while shifting between 4th and 5th.

The next issue also deals with 5th gear. Going into the gear is not smooth most often than not. I can feel the synchros almost always as I'm shifting into the gear. There isn't any grinding noise, but the feeling is horrible. The car currently has around 14k miles on it, all highway. I don't race at all with the car and generally drive for fuel economy; I can easily average 31.5 mpg.

I read through the forum and most of the tranny related issues seem to surround the older generation tC, so I wanted to know if you guys with the newer gen have noticed any of my issues or other issues with the transmission.

Thanks.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mmm.. I have a 2011 tc 6-speed and I find myself quick-shifting through the gears in order for a smooth transition and quicker rev falls. However, it does seem a bit like I'm forcing the gears into position whenever I shift, especially during the 1st-2nd shift; it's almost as if the car doesn't want to shift until I get past a certain point in which I feel a little tension-like feel(Don't really know how to explain it, sort of like a little blockage) between the gears.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My car doesn't like going to 1st sometimes when I am at a stop. Sometimes I have to press the clutch a second time before I ca finally go in. Sometimes when I downshift, my first gear likes to grind....weird. I notice that if I am at 8 or below MPH that it wont do it but i am chancing it downshifting anywhere above that. I notice it a lt becase I do a lot of traffic driving .
Old 06-01-2012, 01:05 PM
SL Member

I have the TWM short shifter, but even with the stock shifter I noticed the shifts between 1st to 2nd and 4th to 5th were a little off.
Going from 1st to 2nd, I only get the hesitation to go into gear if I shift too early with low revs (1.5-2K) or if the revs are relatively high while trying to shift (4-6K). I almost never have this issue if I take off easy or semi-aggressive and shift into 2nd before 3.5K RPM.
My theory on why 4th to 5th shifts seem like you have to move the shifter in straight lines vs a diagonal motion is because you have to get it out of that shift gate and then compete with the spring that helps return the shifter to a central position when in neutral. You don't notice this issue when going from 2nd to 3rd because as soon as you start to push the shifter up the spring helps push it over to the right, just under 3rd gear.
Lastly, on not going into 1st sometimes while stopped, this is inherent in most manuals, (not just tC’s). If you let the car roll a few inches and try again it’ll usually go right in. Just a few inconveniences to tolerate for the joy of being able to row through the gears how you want and not how a computer thinks you should. ;)
Not sure if I explained all this clearly but I hope it helps.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:04 PM

Thanks for the replies. So do you guys use a diagonal push 4th to 5th or the dogleg pattern (up, right, up)?

I noticed that it helps when shifting 1st to 2nd at low RPMs to not wait as long to let the clutch out, like you would at higher RPMs. Bringing the clutch up a little quicker to the friction point and holding it briefly and then letting it completely out has for me made for a smoother 1st to 2nd shift.

I think one the most important changes I made to my driving style with this car is seating position. Would have been nice to have the shifter placed a little more back. I'm about 5'7" and I keep the seat moved forward and up. By using this position, I have better control over the clutch and the stick. Also, being forward allows me better deal with the rev hang while shifting. Here are some good seating position videos: