Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

AEM Cold Air Intake problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 01:38 AM
5 Year Member

Smile AEM Cold Air Intake problem

So i have recently installed the AEM CAI in my car. About a month or so. Everything was going well until 2-3 days ago, when my engines idle started going crazy while in neutral, eventually killing the engine. Shortly after i started the car back up my check engine light came on. I had the code checked and the mechanic told me the car is running rich. He chacked the fuel pump and injectors and both were fine. He stated that the problem might be with the intake, since the MAF on this unit does not connect straight to the intake itself, rather it goes through some kind of relay. I was wondering if anyone else is using this unit and/or they had a similar problem.

Here is the unit i purchased. Not from this website but the identical unit.

http://www.fastscions.com/aem-electr...2-41-1405.aspx

Thanks in advance

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-24-2017 at 07:09 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Someone should probably sticky this somewhere because the question keeps coming up and the answer is hard to find.
Yes there was a problem with a run of the AEM CAIs. It has to do with a bad batch of ETI chips that modify/relay the message from the MAF to the car's computer. Basically i was told the car defaults to a "safe mode" and runs too rich, which bogs the engine until it stalls. If I had to guess i would say it took about 1-2 weeks before it started doing that for you? Mine too.
First, take it off your car and go back to stock! You will gum up the engine running that rich and who knows, could cause even further damage.
Then, Contact AEM and tell them you are having an issue. They should recognize it at this point and hopefully will have some replacement ETI relays in stock for you. I had to wait 3 weeks for them to be manufactured then shipped. Reinstalled mine about 5000 miles ago and have been running beautifully ever since.
Hope this helps.
If you need it, i may still have the correspondance from aem if they are being to slow about things, pm me, but I really think this is something they know about and are in the process of fixing for everyone.

Last edited by SJA4444; 08-25-2012 at 04:19 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default AEM ETI CAI issue

Yep. I originally posted it. I now have the K&N short intake.Supposedly makes more HP according to AEM / K&N (same company). Very happy with it. AEM sent the K&N to me to swap out the faulty AEM ETI as they had no modules and wouldn't have them for some time.

All is great with the K&N except for the "turbo whistle".

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=215021
Old 08-26-2012, 06:27 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the responses guys. So i just stopped driving the car for now, and will be putting my ol;d intake in a few days when im off. SJ u mentioned that u had contact info for AEM. would you be able to send that to me? Again thanks in advance.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had this same problem with my AEM about 2 months after install. My cars idle was very rough and my car actually stalled a few times. I had a CEL also, can't remember the code, but it was a Bank1 condition.
I took it to a mechanic after a few days of me running into a brick wall.
He told me to bypass that piggyback unit that came with the intake. I did, the car has run smooth with no issue, smooth driving and no stalling.
He said that a lot of these piggy back units send readings to the ECU that cause all kinds of A/FR issues.

Sent from my SC-75MID using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-05-2017 at 07:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-03-2012, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh wow, I have one of these units for 4 weeks so far. I always thought that "now there is yet another electronic piece that can go wrong."
I'll wait and see.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:06 PM
5 Year Member

yea my mechanic said the same thing about the piggy back unit sending messages to the ecu. Basically the ecu doesn't recognize the code and as a failsafe stalls the engine. I spoke to AEM and told them about the problem. they sent me a new ETI unit. hopefully that solves the issue. If not itsa gonna be refund time!!
Old 09-06-2012, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by 11tc2
yea my mechanic said the same thing about the piggy back unit sending messages to the ecu. Basically the ecu doesn't recognize the code and as a failsafe stalls the engine. I spoke to AEM and told them about the problem. they sent me a new ETI unit. hopefully that solves the issue. If not itsa gonna be refund time!!
I had the same exact problem, the sent me a new eti and ive driven about 1.5k miles since then and not a single light
Old 09-06-2012, 03:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Most people with the AEM intake's from the first batch have this problem. I have one but they sent me a module in the first week of August, and it's been working like a beast since! Sadly I have to sell it though because my turbo is on the way
Old 09-07-2012, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member

It's very odd that this would happen.. especially since it is AEM. I have used their products in the past and have had no issues. I'm not going to lie, I was disappointed with this one. After 2 weeks of email and phone calls i finally received a new ETI unit from them. Going to change it soon, and put the intake back on. Hopefully I'm not going to have another problem with it.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I spoke too soon last month... My AEM intake is not causeing my car to stall and under acceleration I can tell the car is running too rich.
I have a engine code that says PXXX72 which means too rich.
I will be making a phone call to AEM and the place I purchased the intake from.

I am right at the 2 Month mark..I have never gotten over 22 mpg.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I actually get better MPG with mine in, however I had mine from November 11 to August 12 before they needed me to bring it in and test it to figure out why others were having issues, it got damaged somehow and then mine started stalling. I won't get it back till they fix whatever the issue was, but I love my intake and it does add a little power over stock
Old 10-01-2012, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

____, the guy from AEM said its not "listed" to work for a 2013. Can we agree that the 2011-2013 are the same?

I asked him that and he says all it takes is one fuel curve mapped different and it can throw off the entire kit. I wonder If that really has changed or if that is something they say to cover there rear end.
If it is not true, I will call back and say i have a 2012, I'm not standing for this.
I really regret buying something that has a piggy back electronic piece on it. I want to get rid of it and get a complete analog system.

Notes: I did not turn off the car (it stalled), nor did I touch the gas pedal during filming.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Like I said before, they did have a bad batch of ETIs. If you get a replacement one, you should have no issues. I put mine on about 8000 miles ago and no issues. Like others have said as well, there is a slight bump in performance and obviously sound, esp paired up with an exhaust to really free up the flow.
The technology behind using a piggyback unit seems to be beneficial, as they no longer have to taper the pipe at the point the MAF enters the intake, which will allow for less turbulence and improved flow. So while it does allow for another point of electronic failure, it seems to help when the get the ETI module right.
Good luck with yours!
Old 10-02-2012, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Damn well said lol.
I'll try to call back and get a new module.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:08 AM
5 Year Member

So a slight update. I'm noticing that more and more people are having an issue with this system. Like other said on this thread call them and get a new ETI set up. I did and it took about a week for it to come. I changed it and have driven about 1500 since with no issues. Keeping my fingers crossed here, but i think the change solved the problem.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default A long winded update.

I talked to AEM again, they are sending out another ETI Module. The tech said the Ballasts from the HID's may cause an issue with these things, and they are looking for a way to shield them. And three other customers are having this issue that have HID's installed too.
I jokingly told him the first things we upgrade are HID's and CAI's. He Agreed.

Do you think a new ETI module will do the trick, or is it the fact that I have a 2013 causing these issues? Surely no fuel maps have changed throughout a generations of tC2?
I have his direct line and will let him know what happens. I told him I will drive with HID's for a week, the Stock Bulbs for a week to help them with there future solution.

PS. I'd rather keep my HID's and use stock intake
PSS. My MPG has increased by 3 since I went to a stock intake, but also I have not been driving crazy this week. My car was running rich as F---. My poor exhaust is all black.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just realized I dont use HID's or parking lights during the day, atleast on the days that the stalls happened. I'm calling BS on that theory, and am hoping the ETI module was just bad.
If the problem persists, I will notify AEM, and then sell my entire kit to a 2011 or 2012 tC and just get a traditional analog Cold Air Intake for my 2013.

I believe the purpose of the ETI module is so no other modifications need to be done to the pipe, therefore there is smooth airflow with no 'turbulence'??
Gah, I'll wait and see.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I d not have HIDs and still had issues with the ETI, so I think I'll call BS on the ballasts being the culprit.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

resolved yet?

Last edited by xtimxmayyx; 01-11-2013 at 07:32 AM.

Quick Reply: AEM Cold Air Intake problem