Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

AEM ETI or Injen with MR technology

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 07:30 AM

Default AEM ETI or Injen with MR technology

Reviewing the various intakes available for the TC2. These two seem to be the best two options. Thoughts, personal experience?
Old 07-03-2013, 02:01 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by oujerzy
Reviewing the various intakes available for the TC2. These two seem to be the best two options. Thoughts, personal experience?
Either way you are in good hands. We sell a lot of each.

Pricing is very close too.
http://www.dezod.com/cat_air_intakes1.cfm

I have black Injen in stock, but Polished has been backorder since the beginning of the month.

AEM intake has been superseded by a new part number and it's on an R&D hold. So apparently they are revamping this part number.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Go injen. I wanted to go with aem, but the injen doesn't cause a cel. I've had my injen for over 10,000 miles now, and no cel. I recommend the hydroshield though just for that extra protection. Also the injen can convert to Sri which is an added bonus
Old 07-03-2013, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by talt2008
Go injen. I wanted to go with aem, but the injen doesn't cause a cel. I've had my injen for over 10,000 miles now, and no cel. I recommend the hydroshield though just for that extra protection. Also the injen can convert to Sri which is an added bonus
Thanks guys. I thought the whole point of the ETI technology on the AEM was to work WITH the ECM and avoid CEL issues? Is this perhaps why they are redesigning one of the parts and will be coming out with an improved version soon?
Old 07-03-2013, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There are a few threads about this specific topic.
I have a 2013, I had problems with AEM, AEM said (at the time) the ETI Module was not yet tested on a 2013 model so they were no help.
I decided to stop trying to digitally trick the ECU so I got a black Ingen CAI, no problems.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:53 PM
SL Member

I too had problems with AEM ETI. Constant CEL'S. Have heard UNICHIP solves air/fuel ratio CEL'S. Getting mine soon. Hopefully will report back soon.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:11 PM

Default AEM and Takeda back to the drawing board?

Originally Posted by CelestialxOne
I too had problems with AEM ETI. Constant CEL'S. Have heard UNICHIP solves air/fuel ratio CEL'S. Getting mine soon. Hopefully will report back soon.
Thanks for the info fellas. I was starting to wonder if the CEL issue was exclusive to the 2013 for some reason since I see so many application guides for exhausts and intakes listing only the 2011-2012. I was not aware that they made any changes from 2012 to 2013 but I have found this phenomenon present on the website of several manufacturers.

I was really interested in the AEM ETI but am starting to lean toward the Injen unless AEM comes out with a revised model soon. They don't even list the intake on their website anymore so the problems must have been so widespread that they went back to the drawing board. I am not very familiar with Unichip and probably not going to spend the $400 on their software until I've read a ton of success stories from other TC owners.

The change in sound due to an intake is cool but I am more inclined to spend $200+ for performance results rather than cool sound. With that said, how does the AEM ETI stack up compared to the Injen which boasts 9 hp and 8 ft/lbs of torque improvement? Also, has everyone black listed Takedas intake or did they redo their system and resolve the CEL issue? Their system was claiming an impressive gain of 11 hp and 11 ft/lbs of torque, more than any other system. I got most of my information from the thread posted below.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=203274
Old 07-04-2013, 11:46 PM
SL Member

The AEM is only a gain of 7.somebsnumber. lol Brother UNICHIP is not just for fixing this virus, it is also a steroid that unlocks true potential of performance parts installed. Take a minute and read some info on it. WELL WORTH $400 if it does what it claims. Will keep you posted.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:48 AM

If that's the case then it sounds like the Injen would be a better choice anyway. I know all the things the Unichip software is SUPPOSED TO DO but I am always super skeptical about chips etc. I used to have a turbo GTI and used some REVO software to crank the boost. That ____ definitely worked but that's a turbo set up where a little bit of tweaking and different maps can yield a substantial gain in power.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have to agress with the Injen intake. it is a quality product!