Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

AWD: Scion tC2 - 2013 RAV4?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default AWD: Scion tC2 - 2013 RAV4?

I know, I know it has been discussed over and over again and opinions are biased or dead-set on don't even think about it, it's a complete waste of time and money. While I can understand and support all those opinions up to some extent at the same time
my mind doesn't quite left me alone with the whole idea not to go ahead and just do it but thinking on ways of achieving it with great results without having to drop $75k+ on a Wiesmann AWD tranny and other components needed.

Looking at the current gen Rav4's they share our same engine (2.5L 2AR-FE) and comes in 4WD (don't know if true 4WD like in the STi's or Evo's). I know they are automatic transmissions but on my side if I was to do something like this I would love the
comfort of an Auto 6-speed trans like the one found on the RAV4 because my goal is a fast, unique daily driver, but then comes the next questions to mind:

1. Will this transmission withstand power throw at it (+350-400HP) and work properly?
2. How the ECU will perform? Will I need the RAV4 ECU? If so will it work for performance on the tC?
3. The driveshaft, differential and axles of the RAV4 will work on the tC? If not, what are my options?
4. The RAV4 4WD/AWD system would work properly on a tC because this system you choose when to engage the 4WD/AWD mode?
5. How will this affects after-market parts such as: Big Brake Upgrades, Suspension (Coil-overs, springs, etc.) Braces, Sway bars, etc.

I know the issue with modding the underbody of the car to fit the driveshaft and the exhaust system, fuel lines, etc. I was looking at the STi underbody and the exhaust pipe shares the same center tunnel as the driveshaft, we have a center tunnel in our tC's for the exhaust, can it be made to work with this same principle with little to none modification?

Finding a 2013 RAV4 on a junk yard for parts is more possible than getting one of those Weismann units that are indeed awesome and just the right thing for something like this but SUPER EXPENSIVE! Just to have in mind the possibility of an AWD daily driver tC2 functioning properly and like it was supposed to be that way makes all this ordeal worth it I think.

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-05-2020 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 03-23-2013, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

How do you plan to fit the transmission and drivetrain into the chassis? How is the motor mounted in the RAV4 compared to the tC? As I understand it, the RAV4 is 2WD FWD until it senses a slip and then engages other wheels. You would need these sensors / ECU for that to work.

If you are going to do something AWD, this IMO would not be the system to use.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My mom has a 2011 AWD RAV4 with the 2.7L. Surprisingly the transmission isn't much bigger than my 6-spd m/t tC. However, the electronics and rear end fitment would be the biggest issue.

Also to add, the AWD system senses slip and then engages all 4 wheels. It has the option to lock it into constant AWD.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-05-2020 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 03-23-2013, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheQuietThings
How do you plan to fit the transmission and drivetrain into the chassis? How is the motor mounted in the RAV4 compared to the tC? As I understand it, the RAV4 is 2WD FWD until it senses a slip and then engages other wheels. You would need these sensors / ECU for that to work.

If you are going to do something AWD, this IMO would not be the system to use.
Well I know there's a big chance that new mounts will need to be fab in order to support the engine and transmission in the engine bay and chassis. And yes, the RAV4 is 2WD until it senses a slip and engages the 4WD system
but you have the option of locking it in 4WD mode all the time. I'm not hype with the whole idea either of using the Rav4 system but it's the closest solution I've come across for guys wanting to do the conversion without dropping serious amount of money at it.

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-05-2020 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 03-23-2013, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by russiankid
My mom has a 2011 AWD RAV4 with the 2.7L. Surprisingly the transmission isn't much bigger than my 6-spd m/t tC. However, the electronics and rear end fitment would be the biggest issue.

Also to add, the AWD system senses slip and then engages all 4 wheels. It has the option to lock it into constant AWD.
I'm guessing that since the 2013 RAV4's comes with the 2.5L 2AR-FE engine the transmission will just bolt-on,
but yeah driveshaft, rear axles and don't know if front axles either, rear suspension and electronics seems to be the biggest issues to address here.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-05-2020 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 03-24-2013, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by SullenSenium
Well I know there's a big chance that new mounts will need to be fab in order to support the engine and transmission in the engine bay and chassis. And yes, the Rav4 is 2WD until it senses a slip and engages the 4WD system but you have the option of locking it in 4WD mode all the time. I'm not hype with the whole idea either of using the Rav4 system but it's the closest solution I've come across for guys wanting to do the conversion without dropping serious amount of money at it.
It would be more cost effective, safer, and reliable to trade in the tC, and buy a WRX.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm guessing that since the 2013 Rav4's comes with the 2.5L 2AR-FE engine the transmission will just bolt-on, but yeah driveshaft, rear axles and don't know if front axles either, rear suspension and electronics seems to be the biggest issues to address here.
The 2.5 and 2.7 are nearly identical. I didn't find any visual differences between the tC and RAV4's motor's.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-05-2020 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 03-25-2013, 12:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheQuietThings
It would be more cost effective, safer, and reliable to trade in the tC, and buy a WRX.
Oh, no doubt about it but that's the thing a WRX is a WRX I was just dreaming with the idea of a DD AWD tC that's all.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by russiankid
The 2.5 and 2.7 are nearly identical. I didn't find any visual differences between the tC and Rav's motor's.
Everything points to that's possible just a lot of work and research.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:57 PM
SL Member

Default RAV4 to 2006 Scion tC

I know, I know it has been discussed over and over again and opinions are biased or dead-set on don't even think about it, it's a complete waste of time and money. While I can understand and support all those opinions up to some extent at the same time my mind doesn't quite left me alone with the whole idea not to go ahead and just do it but thinking on ways of achieving it with great results without having to drop $75k+ on a Wiesmann AWD tranny and other components needed. Looking at the current gen RAV4's they share our same engine (2.5L 2AR-FE) and comes in 4WD (don't know if true 4WD like in the STi's or Evo's). I know they are automatic transmissions but on my side if I was to do something like this I would love the comfort of an Auto 6-speed trans like the one found on the RAV4 because my goal is a fast, unique daily driver, but then comes the next questions to mind:

1. Will this transmission withstand power throw at it (+350-400HP) and work properly?
2. How the ECU will perform? Will I need the RAV4 ECU? If so will it work for performance on the tC?
3. The driveshaft, differential and axles of the RAV4 will work on the tC? If not, what are my options?
4. The RAV4 4WD/AWD system would work properly on a tC because this system you choose when to engage the 4WD/AWD mode?
5. How will this affects after-market parts such as: Big Brake Upgrades, Suspension (Coil-overs, springs, etc.) Braces, Sway bars, etc.

I know the issue with modding the underbody of the car to fit the driveshaft and the exhaust system, fuel lines, etc. I was looking at the STi underbody and the exhaust pipe shares the same center tunnel as the driveshaft, we have a center tunnel in our tC's for the exhaust, can it be made to work with this same principle with little to none modification? Finding a 2013 RAV4 on a junk yard for parts is more possible than getting one of those Weismann units that are indeed awesome and just the right thing for something like this but SUPER EXPENSIVE! Just to have in mind the possibility of an AWD daily driver tC2 functioning properly and like it was supposed to be that way makes all this ordeal worth it I think.
I like the idea.

What year RAV4 would I need to use for the Scion tC 2006 2.4L engine. And is that all the parts that's listed need for the Scion tC. If supercharged is it possible to get more that 500whp from this setup.

What is the highest u think it can get out of the setup?

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-05-2020 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lkinchen101
I like the idea..
What year RAV4 would I need to use for the Scion tC 2006 2.4L engine. And is that all the parts that's listed need for the Scion tC. If supercharged is it possible to get more that 500whp from this setup. What is the highest u think it can get out of the setup?
This thread is geared at the tC2 which shares a motor and many other parts with the RAV4 of the same gen. To my knowledge nobody has actually accomplished this upgrade.

You'd need to do research to see if anything shares your motor for the easiest upgrade. Check on the 1G board to see if this has been discussed at all.
Don't expect it to bolt-in, this will likely require fairly extensive custom fabrication and a lot of cutting and rerouting of exhaust and etc.
Honestly not worth the amount of work unless you are dead-set on doing this project. It would be a much better investment to purchase something with factory AWD.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-05-2020 at 06:08 PM.