Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Descendant v.s. Greddy exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 06:46 PM

Default Descendant v.s. Greddy exhaust

Hey guys,

Im new to the forum (sorry if a thread like this one already exsists) and have had my SW TC2 for almost a month now and i'm looking to get an exhaust and a CAI. I have narrowed the exhaust to either the descendant or the greddy, but i would like save some money for more mods. i'm leaning towards the descendent for the price and sound, but was woundering if anyone new a place that has it for the lowest price? However if anyone believes that the greddy one is better let me know because i don't mind forking a few houndred for better sound and performance.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I find the Tsudo exhaust without the silencer is better sounding than the greddy videos and the descendant videos.

Although,
I am starting to think the videos sound nothing like the exhaust... as I have taken many videos with a few different cameras and the one I uploaded was the closest to what my Tsudo sounds like. May still be able to get a Tsudo for slightly over 400$! check the thread and better hurry!
Old 08-23-2011, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^
Of course I'll agree.

But you probably don't want to go with the GReddy, unless you plan on adding forced induction very soon. The pipe diameter is very large and you will lose more low-end power due to loss of back-pressure.

I say it should be Tsudo vs. Descendant, if anything...just to compare apples to apples. Tsudo's got an awesome price point and a louder, deeper tone.

Descendant isn't quite as loud, but definitely has a more refined tone to it.

Last edited by biglilsteve; 08-23-2011 at 10:22 PM. Reason: I can't spell.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by biglilsteve
^^
Of course I'll agree.

But you probably don't want to go with the GReddy, unless you plan on adding forced induction very soon. The pipe diameter is very large and you will lose more low-end power due to loss of back-pressure.

I say it should be Tsudo vs. Descendant, if anything...just to compare apples to apples. Tsudo's got an awesome price point and a louder, deeper tone.

Descendant isn't quite is lout, but definitely has a more refined tone to it.
Yes.
I like the defined tone which the descendant has and tsudo has (with the silencer).
Which is why I am trying to find someone to help modify the Tsudo silencer to my liking to make it more defined and more loud.
If I find a solution I will make sure to post a DIY.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

GReddy's is double the price. I like the sound of Tsudo's the best. Resonator + can FTW
Old 08-23-2011, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^
Of course I'll agree.

Descendant isn't quite is loud, but definitely has a more refined tone to it.
Agreed. I've had the TRD Muffler, Descendant 2.5" Exhaust, and currently have the GReddy RS Exhaust on my car. My car is turbocharged, so the larger diameter piping was a better choice for me. The TRD and Descendant Exhausts sound very similar (sporty sound, almost EUR). The GReddy has a loud, deep tone. However, if you want to hear anything else, use the silencer that comes with it. Otherwise, it will drown out everything.

I'm not using the silencer. But, I'm weird like that

I recommend the Descendant, if you're going for an OEM look. Their products are high quality and fairly priced. I have little experience with the Tsudo, but it looks like a tamer GReddy RS Exhaust (1 Resonator to a N1 Style Muffler).
Old 08-23-2011, 10:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^
Do you think that using a silencer at the end will affect performance at all? It seems like you're doing your car a favor by giving it larger exhaust piping, but then taking it right back away by forcing the exhaust to leave through a hole the size if your index finger...
Old 08-23-2011, 10:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^
Do you think that using a silencer at the end will affect performance at all? It seems like you're doing your car a favor by giving it larger exhaust piping, but then taking it right back away by forcing the exhaust to leave through a hole the size if your index finger...

Probably. In my experience, without a tune (even with a tune, occasionally), bolt-on's will net you very little in the gain department. And, that's at the crank.

I think there's a thread around here about getting to the 200hp point on an N/A tC2.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...ghlight=200+hp

Realistically, the exhaust will probably get you a couple hp somewhere on the power band and may take away from somewhere else on the power band.

So, if the sound is too loud for you, and you want to tame it a little, use the silencer. You won't be losing much from the little you may gain from it.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:05 PM

Thanks for all of the information guys…

I looked at alot of videos on youtube and tsudo sounds awsome without the silencer and its cheeper. Tsudo it is!
Old 08-24-2011, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KiiNGx2
Hey guys,

Im new to the forum (sorry if a thread like this one already exsists) and have had my SW TC2 for almost a month now and i'm looking to get an exhaust and a CAI. I have narrowed the exhaust to either the descendant or the greddy, but i would like save some money for more mods. i'm leaning towards the descendent for the price and sound, but was woundering if anyone new a place that has it for the lowest price? However if anyone believes that the greddy one is better let me know because i don't mind forking a few houndred for better sound and performance.
Save some money and get a Tsudo sound clip is available.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KiiNGx2
Thanks for all of the information guys…

I looked at alot of videos on youtube and tsudo sounds awsome without the silencer and its cheeper. Tsudo it is!
Good choice! I want oneeeee
Old 08-24-2011, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here are some installed photos of the Tsudo exhaust.

Name:  IMG_1047.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  78.9 KB
Name:  IMG_1054.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  140.4 KB
Name:  IMG_1055.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  175.1 KB
Name:  IMG_1056.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  111.4 KB
Old 08-25-2011, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It may sound cool, but it looks like a giant fart can.

Descendant wins for looks and sound in my books.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Because it is a giant cart can. Which makes it freer flowing than a chambered muffler. I think it looks sexy as hell too.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by 1stOne
It may sound cool, but it looks like a giant fart can.

Descendant wins for looks and sound in my books.
1stOne,

I saw some videos for the descendant, and I like how it has a bit better refined tone, but do you know where I could get it for the cheepest because Tsudo has an awsome price point.

BTW looked over your build thread and wow, man your car looks awsome. You have any pics of your new cement ride?
Old 08-25-2011, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I usually agree with 1stOne, but in this case, I think Tsudo looks better. As far as, if you are trying to look moded anyway. Descendant still sounds better from what I can tell in Youtube clips. Thats just my two-cents....
Old 08-25-2011, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Descendant sounds better and looks better it's hand made one at a time and the quality is out of this world. If you want a fart can no offense buy a universal one on ebay
Old 08-26-2011, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Fart can? Come on man there is zero rasp with this exhaust and its deeper and smoother than any "fart can" out there. The slant exit canister muffler may not be for everyone's liking, but the straight-through exhaust flow of this design is a winner.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Blackinblacktc2, please dont think I am arguing with you, but from the reviews on the Descendant intakes quality , I find it hard to believe the exhaust is superior quality. I don't have the intake, but I have read at least 5 different people say it was subpar at best. Just can't imagine they rushed only one product.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:09 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Druidiron
Blackinblacktc2, please dont think I am arguing with you, but from the reviews on the Descendant intakes quality , I find it hard to believe the exhaust is superior quality. I don't have the intake, but I have read at least 5 different people say it was subpar at best. Just can't imagine they rushed only one product.
I disagree. There is nothing wrong with their intake. I just prefer the can type muffler and chepaer price on the Tsudo

Quick Reply: Descendant v.s. Greddy exhaust