Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Manual or Automatic, I need serious help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 06:05 AM
5 Year Member

Default Manual or Automatic, I need serious help.

I'm currently driving an 09 Scion tC that i got brand new last year, Manual of course. And i'm about 100% sure that i want to trade in for the 2011. Up until recently, i told myself that if i did get the '11, i would get it manual as well.

But i been recently thinking, is it worth it for me? yes, i love the way it drives...along with everyone else, i feel that you do get the best of the car if it is Manual. But Long Island traffic sucks lol....seriously. I mean, i usually don't mind the traffic because driving stick is like 2nd nature, but i do find myself getting frustrated with it 3/10 times. I know its a low number, and its like "Really? Your gonna think twice about driving a car the manly way because you get frustrated with it at times?" But in all honesty, i'm thinking of just going automatic just so i don't have worry about the little things. Lazy? not really....i just like to kick back when i drive.

I'm not into racing, and i'm very most i'll do is just tint the windows, just like i did with my '09. I do a lot of commuting between my jobs, and put 25k+ miles on it in a year.

With this said, i need some honest feedback. What would you in my position of being unsure. I test drove both the 2011 auto and manual, and of course i loved the manual.....but the automatic wasn't that bad to me. I test drove the manual basically sitting in traffic mostly the whole time, and only made it 4th gear before hitting a light. So i guess i haven't got to experience the FULL potential of it. What would any of you get?
Old 10-25-2010, 06:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Manual.

I really shouldn't be saying more but I feel that I must. You will not enjoy the automatic, I can insure you this. If you are seriously debating on taking the jump to 2011, you should really consider why. If your main reason is because you want an automatic than that is simply a poor reason. Get a sedan not another tC. There isn't much excitement to the tC. Getting an automatic in a eco car basically eliminates any satisfaction.

I won't sugar coat it, your lazy. If you like driving a car, manual is the only way to go period. People who truly enjoy manual have no excuses. If you just want to get to point a to point b, automatic is your choice. But even so, I still think automatic is a horrible choice for anyone, unless your driving a luxury vehicle.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:51 AM
5 Year Member

This is the type of answer im looking for. Thanks for the feedback dude.

Thinking about getting automatic is not my reason for getting the 2011. I knew i wanted it since i seen it at the NY Auto Show. Was just thinking about it these past couple days because i have to make a decision real soon. Figured i'd ask for some help on my decision on here. It was only until these past few days that i was 100% on getting manual. I went back to the dealership where i got my current one and went to same guy that sold me my 09. I almost felt like he was trying to convince me to get the automatic, because he asked why i prefered the manual. I asked how many people usually get manual over auto and he said it depends. More dudes than anything, but he also gets quite a few people who buy the manual and come back days later to switch to automatic. And every 2011 i seen so far in person has been automatic. except for 1.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There are two potential reasons he would sway you to get an automatic. One being that dealerships generally stock up on automatics compared to manuals. Two, selling an automatic means more money to his pocket. When I went to test drive the 2G tC, the dealership had 6 automatics and one manual. I test drove the manual and enjoyed it. If you really enjoy the 2G tC, get it. If your 9/10 on it, don't get it. You should be 100% on your decision. Before you make a move, make sure you check out other vehicles like the Subaru WRX. Its more functional, more powerful, and simply better. Plus, a majority of Subaru vehicles have a great resale value.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:21 AM
5 Year Member

that is very true, but the guy was cool. no pressure for me....and its funny you say that because when he told me that i would have to wait a little bit if i wanted the black in manual. But they had 4 automatics there. He called me 2 days later because they got one manual in, and asked if i wanted to swing by and try it out so i did. I'm sold on it already.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice, then go for it. Keep us updated.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So far, the conversation going on between the two of you is all win. I geninuely feel this is what forums should be like.. people sharing meaningful issues and knowledgable people speaking from the bottom of their heart. Just wanted to give my 2cents.

Back on topic, I agree with Domo that Manual is the way to go if you are buying the 2G tC. I have been driving manual for only a year and it still isnt second nature for me. During high traffic here in the bay area (101 or 280) I get fustrated at the N-1-2, N-1-2 also. But the truth is that the joy of driving a manual outweighs that fustration in the end for me. Thus, if I were going with the 2G tC, I would pick the manual in black and no options!
Old 10-25-2010, 01:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

manual,all the way..........yea it sucks in very heavy stop and go traffic,but at the end of the day,you wont regret it,i have a 5 speed and i live in NY,and yea there are times i wish i had a auto,but the times that i do have a chance to go in a auto for a day,it sucks man within 15-20 mins of driving it,i regret driving it and want my stick......So this way the next time im in traffic and want a auto i think back to when i had the auto and how boring it was..but thats just me,Like dome said,if you want a auto,dont consider a tc,please consider SUV or luxury Vehicle...

I do have a auto but its a F-250 which i use to trail my boat around,

but remeber,You be in control not the car....
Old 10-25-2010, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Manual! I have bad knees and hate traffic. But i suck it up cause when you can rip through the gears its awesome. I just have always felt more in control with a manual. I have a truck that automatic which its a truck so thats fine. I just cruise along in that thing and its not ment to go fast. Neither is the tC but its still fun the dream and with a manual its easier to believe! LOL
Old 10-25-2010, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Interesting convo, I have an auto and could careless for a manual especially in the city.Now if i lived out in PA,NJ,LI,or SI thats different then maybe i wouldn't mind a manual cause its way more open than BK,BX,Queens,Manhattan.But like you said i like to kick back when im driving, listen to music and cruise.Not have to work while im driving, call it lazy all you want but thats me besides by the time you're on 3rd and about to hit 4th you have to downshift and slow down cause of the traffic light(SUCKS).Trust me i've smoked people who talked crazy smack cause they have a stick and i shut their mouths up.So you can have fun in an auto as well that all depends on you and not the type of transmission you have on the car.In the end get what you want cause you're the one who has to make the payments on it not us.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get a manual,

The 2011 transmission will make you love driving again.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Auto because it is one less thing to 'worry' about. I use my car to get to point A from point B and having an auto transmission makes driving much easier imo.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by thegame7a
Interesting convo, I have an auto and could careless for a manual especially in the city.Now if i lived out in PA,NJ,LI,or SI thats different then maybe i wouldn't mind a manual cause its way more open than BK,BX,Queens,Manhattan.But like you said i like to kick back when im driving, listen to music and cruise.Not have to work while im driving, call it lazy all you want but thats me besides by the time you're on 3rd and about to hit 4th you have to downshift and slow down cause of the traffic light(SUCKS).Trust me i've smoked people who talked crazy smack cause they have a stick and i shut their mouths up.So you can have fun in an auto as well that all depends on you and not the type of transmission you have on the car.In the end get what you want cause you're the one who has to make the payments on it not us.
Who you smoking in an auto tC. 1990 corollas?
Old 10-25-2010, 10:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have a feeling that this thread is goona lead to what is best auto or manual.....

heres how you decide,what are use using the car for,if you dont want to shift,then simply get a auto,if you wanna enjoy the car and have full control get a manual,plain and simple,the only person who can decide that is your self,the rest of us will have opions that affect us everyday.....

I know plenty of people who had manuals in the past and bought luxury vehicles and they regret getting a auto and then eventually ditch auto and get manual
Old 10-26-2010, 12:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

I purchased a black manual, and from driving a 07 manual, I can tell a major difference. One of the largest differences is the easy clutch. And by easy, I mean it slides to the floor like melted butter. I have drive spring action clutches before and you have to damn near put all your weight on them. I have driven with haudrilic clutches that apply back pressure when depressed to the floor. This clutch pedal is extremely smooth. I drive in stop in go traffic alot and it hasn't really bothered me at all.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think my06 tc said it the best.
If you dont want to shift, then get an auto. If you want full control over revs, then get manual.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Manual all the way! You don't really "drive" an automatic, you just steer it. Sure stop and go gets tedious, but that's not when you enjoy driving whether it's auto or stick. When you get out on the open road and have complete control over the driving experience, you'll thank yourself for getting the real trans. Stop and go and heavy traffic is always going to suck no matter what trans you have, so get the one you can have fun with.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by frankryzzo
Manual all the way! You don't really "drive" an automatic, you just steer it. Sure stop and go gets tedious, but that's not when you enjoy driving whether it's auto or stick. When you get out on the open road and have complete control over the driving experience, you'll thank yourself for getting the real trans. Stop and go and heavy traffic is always going to suck no matter what trans you have, so get the one you can have fun with.
Like srs.....it doesnt matter if you are using a manual trans or auto, you are still driving it. The only thing a manual offers is the ability to control your revs.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:29 AM

First post lol...

I saw that the 2011 auto has semi automatic transmission can anyone comment on this?

I'm forced to get an auto though =[ my dad wants to be able to drive it too in case of an "emergency"
Old 10-26-2010, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No, the auto is not semi auto trans(or would it be called semi manual?) :/
Either case, that will be in the tC3 ..hehe..

Quick Reply: Manual or Automatic, I need serious help.