Notices
Scion tC 2G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications

boost spiking!!, need help, pros are insisted to advise

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionchicop
You're not boosting all the time, so 9.5 lbs is not a big deal. Unless you choose to boost at every take off or whatever. No issues at all so far (knocked on wood). I'm biased because i have the Dezod kit but also would have purchased the P-tuning kit had they stuck with their initial release date.
Sorry to thread jack,but imlooking to run aprox 8lbs just to be safe, and do you have an spiking at all or is it really stable...buti guess thats more in the tune than the kit itself.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You're not boosting all the time, so 9.5 lbs is not a big deal. Unless you choose to boost at every take off or whatever. No issues at all so far (knocked on wood). I'm biased because i have the Dezod kit but also would have purchased the P-tuning kit had they stuck with their initial release date.

Do you have any idea what you're talking about? At all? Who customized a BoV? He has a recirculating just like the Bosch... if anything, it's a Tial, it's better. It won't cause boost creeps like that. I have a Turbosmart Race-Port BoV, never had any issues. The point is, the descendant kit works perfectly, and holds 8.00 PSI as long as you don't modify the exhaust and remove back-pressure. Lets make that clear. I would much rather purchase a Descendant kit before Dezod or P-tuning, mainly because of quality and customer service. And what does not boosting "all the time" have to do with ANYTHING? That's like saying, oh, I run 12 PSI and I have 350 HP, but I only did that to boost at the track once. Hey, I blew my transmission. But that doesn't matter because I'm not boosting all the time. 9.5 PSI is a big difference from 8 PSI even if it seems slight.

Last edited by RJSCION; 08-05-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by yardleyTC
Sorry to thread jack,but imlooking to run aprox 8lbs just to be safe, and do you have an spiking at all or is it really stable...buti guess thats more in the tune than the kit itself.

Tuning is the most important aspect of the reliability factor. The descendant kit runs at 8 PSI, perfectly. Just have to make sure you have a great tuner. You won't get any boost spikes, whatsoever, if you don't modify the exhaust. I fully reccomend Descendant. Give them a call, they will be more than happy to talk to you about it.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you run an oem intake and cat like descendant recommends, you will have no boost spike. I have discussed this with them multiple times, and their system is DESIGNED to work with the oem intake and cat.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

no, not with an oem intake thats impossible because they send you a whole different intake with the kit, it was meant to run with a cat and mayyybe stock exhaust that im still unsure of.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The tc2 kit may vary then. I know the xb2 kit is specifically designed to work with the oem intake.

http://youtu.be/iXW_wvslbE0

You are correct, the tc2 uses a different intake. Changing the exhaust can cause boost spikes/creep due to a backpressure change on the kit. Just call descendant if you don't believe us. Installing an aftermarket boost controller should solve the problem.

http://youtu.be/2_hAjU4sPWU

Old 08-05-2012, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

descendant was very disappointing with their kit. they were missing the s pipe and fhad a side mount instead of a front mount like they promised. their instructional video shows a mishimoto radiator in their kit but did not come with one. caused me many problems and too many bumps in the road. however i got the kit for a grand less than it costs right now so i did not complain.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the guys at the tuning shop i go to are nothing less than pros. they told me a boost controller wouldnt work very well and the back pressure theory they proved wrong. however i am still going to have a cat installed this week and maybe put my stock exhaust back on to see what happens.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by yardleyTC
i could buy any of the kits i guess, but i was worried about running 9.5lbs of boost as a dd. but i guess id rather that than have boost creep.
You will not have boost creep if you do not modify the kit as it is designed to work (IE:different blow off valve, removing catalytic converter).
Old 08-05-2012, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mytcissex
the guys at the tuning shop i go to are nothing less than pros. they told me a boost controller wouldnt work very well and the back pressure theory they proved wrong. however i am still going to have a cat installed this week and maybe put my stock exhaust back on to see what happens.
How exactly did they prove it wrong without reinstalling your oem catalytic converter and testing it?
Old 08-05-2012, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

a blow off valve, no matter what kind has the same functionality as any other type of bov of its kind. basically a hks, greddy, tial, or a Turbosmart blowoff valve, as long as it is fully recirculating, they will all work the same way.

on the other hand i agree with the lack of back pressure theory but that doesnt sound completely right because if there is too much back pressure that will be back pressure on the turbo causing problens under the hood
Old 08-05-2012, 10:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mytcissex
the guys at descendant told me their kit was designed to run with a cat and stock exhaust.
This. You asked the people who made the kit what was wrong, they told you, but you have yet to heed their advice.

Sorry to seem like a ball buster....but...you've known what you need to do to fix it all along.

EDIT: modifying a prefabbed kit, regardless of how you modify it, frees the company who made it of any responsibility.
Descendant/world racing is good enough that I'm sure they would still help you out if you asked them though.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

theyve had problems like that before, the guy that tunes my car has been building engines turbos and knows everything there is to know, hes been doing this for 16 years.

howeverrrr i still doubt it because scions are different than most cars and every car is different
Old 08-05-2012, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i agree toaster BUT even they recommended me to change the BOV and so did the guys at the shop.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Gotcha. I would definitely recommend reinstalling the cat, and going from there.

If it doesn't work, you can just as easily take it back out, but you will have at least tried the solution the creators of the kit suggested.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yep, exactly. i agree
Old 08-06-2012, 07:23 AM

You need a 50 mil waste gate me a. Eric an rob from descendant have been talking about this alot a 50 mil waste will eliminate spikes bc whats happenedingbis ur 8lb spring is closing quickly an sednint lets say u hot 16 only 8 lbs is being releassd that means 8 lbs is going tirextly bac into ur enginge. Sorry for the ____ up im getting a nee phone today iphone keys are two small an if i hit h it gives me g sometime
Old 08-06-2012, 11:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It would be very interesting to hear Descendant's take on this issue. I have a custom setup but even running at only 6 psi I have zero boost creep with a 3"/2.5" mandrel bent cat-less exhaust. It sounds like Descendant needs a bigger wastegate and/or a different turbine housing/wheel.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RJSCION
Do you have any idea what you're talking about? At all? Who customized a BoV? He has a recirculating just like the Bosch... if anything, it's a Tial, it's better. It won't cause boost creeps like that. I have a Turbosmart Race-Port BoV, never had any issues. The point is, the descendant kit works perfectly, and holds 8.00 PSI as long as you don't modify the exhaust and remove back-pressure. Lets make that clear. I would much rather purchase a Descendant kit before Dezod or P-tuning, mainly because of quality and customer service. And what does not boosting "all the time" have to do with ANYTHING? That's like saying, oh, I run 12 PSI and I have 350 HP, but I only did that to boost at the track once. Hey, I blew my transmission. But that doesn't matter because I'm not boosting all the time. 9.5 PSI is a big difference from 8 PSI even if it seems slight.
Warning: _______s in mirror are closer than they appear! Geez man, read what i said. He changed his BOV, while they may all be the same, Descendant sent him a particular BOV. I was merely stating that when you change what the producer of the kit, expect issues. It may not be related to what is going on with Harris' issue but regardless, descendant may not want to help him out. If they do, even better.
You're obviously biased to Descendant as i am with Dezod and would say the same thing regarding "quality and customer service."
As far as the boost part goes, Yardley's statement, "i could buy any of the kits i guess, but i was worried about running 9.5lbs of boost as a dd. but i guess id rather that than have boost creep. you had any issues with your kit?". I read that as he thought he'd be boosting at 9.5lbs which is not the case. Again, we're all here to help each other. Save the douchebaggery for another forum.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Warning: _______s in mirror are closer than they appear! Geez man, read what i said. He changed his BOV, while they may all be the same, Descendant sent him a particular BOV. I was merely stating that when you change what the producer of the kit, expect issues. It may not be related to what is going on with Harris' issue but regardless, descendant may not want to help him out. If they do, even better.
You're obviously biased to Descendant as i am with Dezod and would say the same thing regarding "quality and customer service."
As far as the boost part goes, Yardley's statement, "i could buy any of the kits i guess, but i was worried about running 9.5lbs of boost as a dd. but i guess id rather that than have boost creep. you had any issues with your kit?". I read that as he thought he'd be boosting at 9.5lbs which is not the case. Again, we're all here to help each other. Save the douchebaggery for another forum.
I misunderstood what you were saying - I apologize. But either way, I am trying to leave "pick this company, no that company" out of the equation here. He already has the Descendant kit, so that won't matter... Sorry again.

Quick Reply: boost spiking!!, need help, pros are insisted to advise