Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Amps from Stock Battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 11:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Amps from Stock Battery

Anybody know how many amps the stock battery will give me over the alternator? Like total amps? I know the alternator is 120, but how many will the battery give on top of that to my amplifiers?

Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question... Just trying to figure out my power situation for my amplifier.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:45 AM

When the car is running, no power comes from the battery. All current comes from the alternator. The purpose of the battery is to crank the starter and to filter A/C ripple from the alternator. If you need more current than your stock alternator can provide, you should look into an aftermarket or rebuilt one.
When the car isn't running, all of your current comes from the battery.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I see... So in essence, it would be impossible for me to run a 2000W RMS system without a new alternator? Or getting mine rebuilt?

Who would I look to for an alternator upgrade? I don't wanna buy one (the car is on a lease), but I hear you can have yours rebuilt for $150 and it'll put out 160amps.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why are you trying to run 2000 watts in a lease anyways?
Old 09-14-2012, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rotz
Why are you trying to run 2000 watts in a lease anyways?
because I want to?
Old 09-14-2012, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You'd probably need a bigger alt but your risking messing up your lease agreement if you change it or getting it rewired to supply more current. A capacitor or multiple would help with sudden current draw increases like heavy bass parts in the music but that's a bandaid for bigger issues.

You also have to remember your gonna have to get probably 0 gauge wire through the fire wall without drilling a hole cause they may charge you for drilling through the firewall

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-15-2012, 02:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm pretty confident I can do it without drilling a new hole. I haven't drilled any holes in the whole car, I can make it stock in under 20 minutes.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The battery doesn't generate power. It only stores it, so you won't get any extra amps over what the alternator will output. Caps do nothing to assist your overall system as its just another component drawing power from the alternator. For 2000 watts you will need 0 gauge from battery to amp. Also replace the battery leads and ground. Changing the battery for an XS (or Optima if budget is tight) will provide steady quick voltage.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rotz
The battery doesn't generate power. It only stores it, so you won't get any extra amps over what the alternator will output. Caps do nothing to assist your overall system as its just another component drawing power from the alternator. For 2000 watts you will need 0 gauge from battery to amp. Also replace the battery leads and ground. Changing the battery for an XS (or Optima if budget is tight) will provide steady quick voltage.
I planned on not replacing the battery ground and leads to alternator. I plan on adding 0ga wire on top of whats already in place. I saw a thread on this forum where the user removed the original ground and alternator to battery positive, and he was having some problems. I just plan on running 0ga from battery+ to alternator+, battery-neg to chassis, engine to battery-neg (or to chassis?), and possibly alternator neg to chassis. Should I disconnect all the original wires?