Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Color LED guage lights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 08:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Question Color LED guage lights?

so i wanna swap out the lights in my guages, any thoughts of where to get the size led's needed? and how about install, i dont wanna take my whole dash apart blind... if anyone has done it or knows someone whose done it plz lemme no thnx

somethin like this
Old 06-17-2011, 10:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First tip, do NOT use white unless you can find some low output ones. i used white for blinkers and it was like a strobe light at night. no good. you'd be ok for the gauges though cause the dimmer will still work. the leds on the gauges are PLCC-2 type. i used about 10-15 total i think. def no more than 15. as far as tips, low heat on the solder iron, double check everything off the gauge face to make sure you are swapping the ones you want, and TAKE YOUR TIME!

as for hvac, thats a whole different monster. i used 5mm quadrate LEDs (blue) for the bulb replacement with a 440 ohm resistor tied to the positive lead and 3mm regular leds for the button lights, those are already leds so no need for resistors there.

if you need any other help, let me know and ill try to get the pictures up that i took while i was tearing everything apart.

oh, and when you get your leds, the longer lead is the positive and for the PLCC-s, you will see a small notch on one corner of the LED, just put them on the same way the others came off and you should be good.

there are a couple others on here that are well versed in this subject but i cant remember their names
Old 06-17-2011, 10:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool thanx for the tips, ill put up pix wen I do it
Old 06-17-2011, 10:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cool man, just know that if you dont know how to solder, its gonna be 10 times harder than it sounds. i would suggest reading up on SMT soldering(surface mount technology) if you havent done anything like that before. im sure there are alot of DIY videos too of similar LED types. good luck and let me know if you need some more help.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I actually perfered swapping all my gauge lights to white for that fact you can cut strips of colored selephane wrap to Change the color to what you want, mix colors, and change them easily if you ever decide for a new color scheme
Old 06-17-2011, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wouldn't the cellophane be noticeable?
Old 06-17-2011, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here is the thread you want. Details how to swap the main and clock LEDs. https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...light=led+swap

There are other threads on here on soldering techniques, but a few key points from someone who has done 1 swap EVER (just did my tC2 LEDs):

- Low amp soldering iron (15W - 25W)
- Buy extra LEDs as you will destroy some
- Take your time. If the LEDs don't work the first time (this is for noobs like me only), pull them off, and solder new ones on. Still not sure what I did, but just doing that fixed my problems
- Some of the LEDs are in series (ie - 3 LEDs for the Tach and Speed needles). So if you mess up one LED, none of them will work. There are ways you can check each one, but it took me a bit to figure out why none would work.

And here's a pic of my dash with white LEDs