Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Hertz Audio 3-Way component speakers installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 03:53 PM

Default Hertz Audio 3-Way component speakers installed

Well after 2 full days, I finally got these installed and they sound great. I had a Focal set up in my previous car and I think these sound much smoother. Sorry for the bad quality pics. They are from my cell phone.

-The speakers are Hertz Hi-Energy HSK163.
-I have 3 layers of Sound deadening in each door
-Crossovers are running underneath the passenger seat
-I am running an older V12 Alpine MRV-t420 2 channel amp
-I am running all high quality noise reducing wiring. (Stinger, Streetwires, Monster)
-No sub yet (thinking about stealthbox)

Let me know if you guys have any questions. I think I'm a guinea pig for a 3 way set up in the Scion TC2.

Andrew

Name:  IMG-20110710-00017-1.jpg
Views: 3003
Size:  65.9 KB

Last edited by alpinedb; 07-12-2011 at 03:54 PM. Reason: text change
Old 07-12-2011, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

very nice....please list the size of the speakers. also have you also replaced the two rear speakers if so what size. any fitment issues?
Old 07-12-2011, 05:04 PM

The mid bass woofer is 6.5", midrange 3", and tweeter 1". I had to get the Scosche SAT69 speaker adapter in order to mount the 6.5" midbass, I used the stock midrange mounting bracket as it fits a 3" midrange perfectly. I used high strength epoxy glue to attach the midrange speaker to the bracket. The 1" tweeter was pressure fitted and only need a little bit of modification to the stock hole to have a tight snug fit.

I have not fiddled with the rear speakers. I may or may not do anything in the rear as I have a good front stage. I do know that the rear speakers are 5.25".
Old 07-12-2011, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any problems getting the 6x9s out? I hear tale they're riveted in place.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cool found the link sick set up i like....now i have a better idea of what your system looks and sounds like good work

Hertz Hi-Energy HSK163
http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/default_en.htm
Old 07-12-2011, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Rotz
Any problems getting the 6x9s out? I hear tale they're riveted in place.
They were riveted in place indeed and a pain to get out lol. I have some special prying tools for car interior panels and I used that to get underneath the stock plastic bracket. I basically snapped it out. The stock speakers will not be able to go back in, but the 6x9's were garbage anyways.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Backinblacktc2
cool found the link sick set up i like....now i have a better idea of what your system looks and sounds like good work

Hertz Hi-Energy HSK163
http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/default_en.htm
Thanks. I did a few months of research and testing with the car's doors and figured that this would be the best set up for anyone who is interested in a 3-way. It is very time consuming though and I wanted to make sure I did everything right. This would be my 5th major sound system build, so I've had a lot of practice.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Banned
SL Member

I was looking long and hard at FOCAL 165VR3 speakers...how do yours compare with the Focal 3-way? I still have not pulled the trigger on these yet...

http://www.focal-america.com/wp-cont...65VR3_spec.pdf

Last edited by 2tCornot2tC; 07-12-2011 at 07:47 PM. Reason: added link
Old 07-12-2011, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by 2tCornot2tC
I was looking long and hard at FOCAL 165VR3 speakers...how do yours compare with the Focal 3-way? I still have not pulled the trigger on these yet...

http://www.focal-america.com/wp-cont...65VR3_spec.pdf
Those Focal's come with a 4" midrange speaker and would require a custom made bracket for proper mounting. I have owned the polyglass line from Focal and they are excellent speakers. (3 pairs) The tweeter in my opinion is a bit harsh, but you can always turn the tweeter level down.

I went with the Hertz because they have a very warm and natural sound to them and I knew installation would be easier with the midrange. These three-ways are about on par with Focal's higher Polykevlar line, which I have owned many pairs of those as well including a 3 way set up.

Either way you won't be disappointed.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:01 PM
Banned
SL Member

http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/Doc/Hertz_HiEnergy_HSK163.pdf

That looks like it would need to be amped to work properly/fully...I would like to utilize the built in amp of my SNS200 HU...I realize that I would need an amp for the sub, but there is an RCA out for that.

What speakers do you like if no amp would be used? I'd like a recommendation...
Old 07-13-2011, 12:52 AM
SL Member

Default Speakers

I have to say very very nice setup for the front, huge $$$ .
With the factory deck you are very very limited on sound and control of the sound, you could add a bit 1 or MS-8 or others to play with sound to get what YOU like, but you could of spent that on a really good head unit with a ton more features.

We have played with the front set up and I have found some home speakers that sound as nice or better than some of the car audio speakers on the market.
We are using Dayton RS225-4 8" in the lower 6x9 cutout with the rest of the grill holes drill out for sound. Dayton 4" RS100-4 in the factory mount, both with foam sealant between door panel and speaker to stop unwanted stray waves between each. Tweeters we are using SEAS PRESTIGE 27TAFNC/D04 in the factory tweeter location.
Kenwood DNX 9960 deck,front out to Audio control EQT's then to old school PPI Ax606.2 with low pass set to band pass 43hz to 155hz for the 8", and the 4" set high pass 94 Hz up and tweeter set high pass 5.11khz.
Kenwood sub out is set at 50 hz rev poll in to a old school PPI A600. in to 2 Memphis 15-MR10D4 in rear side fibreglass enclosures.
With the 2 8" in the doors the 10 in the rear are really not needed for most music. If your into some rap or other stuff like that then you want it.
Thats just 1 way to get some sound thats a hell of alot better than stock.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:43 AM
Banned
SL Member

Now THAT is the kind on info I was looking for...

Did you just go for the Dayton speakers because you've used them before or did you actually install other speakers in the tC?
Old 07-13-2011, 02:08 PM

Yea the factory head unit has very limited capabilities. I actually ran my alpine HU for a few weeks and that already made a huge difference in sound. Upgrading the source unit is the most important part of upgrading your sound as it is the heart of the entire system. A good HU with good tuning and sound processing is definitely a must when you start building a sound system.

Here is a little video I have of the sound. The video quality is decent, but demonstrates how full the mids and high's are and how there is great imaging and presence.
Can't beat Madonna and her well recorded tracks. This was off of an ipod in Lossless format.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by noisy1eh
I have to say very very nice setup for the front, huge $$$ .
With the factory deck you are very very limited on sound and control of the sound, you could add a bit 1 or MS-8 or others to play with sound to get what YOU like, but you could of spent that on a really good head unit with a ton more features.

We have played with the front set up and I have found some home speakers that sound as nice or better than some of the car audio speakers on the market.
We are using Dayton RS225-4 8" in the lower 6x9 cutout with the rest of the grill holes drill out for sound. Dayton 4" RS100-4 in the factory mount, both with foam sealant between door panel and speaker to stop unwanted stray waves between each. Tweeters we are using SEAS PRESTIGE 27TAFNC/D04 in the factory tweeter location.
Kenwood DNX 9960 deck,front out to Audio control EQT's then to old school PPI Ax606.2 with low pass set to band pass 43hz to 155hz for the 8", and the 4" set high pass 94 Hz up and tweeter set high pass 5.11khz.
Kenwood sub out is set at 50 hz rev poll in to a old school PPI A600. in to 2 Memphis 15-MR10D4 in rear side fibreglass enclosures.
With the 2 8" in the doors the 10 in the rear are really not needed for most music. If your into some rap or other stuff like that then you want it.
Thats just 1 way to get some sound thats a hell of alot better than stock.
I spent a bit of money, but it was definitely worth it. Lol

Damn, that's a nice set up you got in that car. Do you have any pictures to share?
Old 07-13-2011, 09:06 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by alpinedb
I spent a bit of money, but it was definitely worth it. Lol

Damn, that's a nice set up you got in that car. Do you have any pictures to share?
We did have a whole power point set up for showing the car at IASCA but had our laptop taken at a show…….
Trying to find the SD card with them on but think my oldest son may have used it.
All i can say is you CAN make this car sound REALLY sweet if you take your time in the set up. throwing huge $$$$$ at the car with out a plan is a wast and have seen it time and time again in the sound off world.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:21 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2tCornot2tC
Now THAT is the kind on info I was looking for...

Did you just go for the Dayton speakers because you've used them before or did you actually install other speakers in the tC?
The Daytons we have used for a few years in towers we have built.
They are not B&W or ZR lab's but for the money i think that they can't be beat.
We started using them in cars on a whim and to prove a point to some people that huge $$$$$ are not needed to have a very sweet and real reproduction of music in a car.
alpinedb don't take me wrong your setup is top notch and would to see it come down the judging lanes and to hear it.
Car audio is what you the driver wants and what you can afford on it.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by noisy1eh
The Daytons we have used for a few years in towers we have built.
They are not B&W or ZR lab's but for the money i think that they can't be beat.
We started using them in cars on a whim and to prove a point to some people that huge $$$$$ are not needed to have a very sweet and real reproduction of music in a car.
alpinedb don't take me wrong your setup is top notch and would to see it come down the judging lanes and to hear it.
Car audio is what you the driver wants and what you can afford on it.
I definitely agree with you on that. I could have spent more on drivers, but I wanted to make sure I invested in good installation equipment and proper installation planning.

I drive my local shop crazy as I always visit and research first and don't buy unless I know I'm making a good investment into the product. For the money, Hertz has good value and I'm very impressed as this is my first experience with Hertz Drivers.

I'm still researching on a sub set up. Do you have any SQ suggestions with good value?
Old 07-14-2011, 02:28 PM

Default Video Demonstration

Again, vid quality sucks, but you can tell the sound fills the car. Mids and highs are very clear even at high volumes.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:50 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by alpinedb
I definitely agree with you on that. I could have spent more on drivers, but I wanted to make sure I invested in good installation equipment and proper installation planning.

I drive my local shop crazy as I always visit and research first and don't buy unless I know I'm making a good investment into the product. For the money, Hertz has good value and I'm very impressed as this is my first experience with Hertz Drivers.

I'm still researching on a sub set up. Do you have any SQ suggestions with good value?
Well its refreshing to hear that you didn't just throw money at them and said i want sound…
As far as subs… thats a tricky one depending on YOU and what you like your music to sound like. SQ for me is not what i keep the car set to for everyday driving, radio,sat, and most mp3 are very pore in quality and you will need to adjust for that.
Question 1 is how big a box you are willing to put in your car?
Q 2 is power, you don't need 1xxxx watts of power for every day driving ?
Q 3 range that the subs need to cover ?
Me i like the Boston SPG 555, Memphis Mclass 15-MR10D4, Stereo Integrity SI BM mkIII. I know the Boston's are $$$$ but take a listen to them. The Stereo integrity i really like but are hard/next to impossible to get in Canada.
Memphis nice sound and smallish box.
We went thin line sub's because we just don't need SPL out of them just lower end fill when some of the dance or rap that gets played from time to time.
Hope this helps.
If not shoot me a PM and i will see if i can help.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:04 PM

Hmm I definitely will take a look into Bostons and Stereo Integrity. Thanks for the suggestions!

I only listen to CD's and Lossless on my ipod. That's it. I cannot stand the sound on the radio or MP3's. I've gotten very picky as I played piano for 12 years and developed a trained ear. Lol.

I'm not looking for anything with massive SPL. I'm just looking for something to blend well with the front stage and cover the low end with good fidelity.

Quick Reply: Hertz Audio 3-Way component speakers installed