Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Hertz Audio 3-Way component speakers installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you want to add subs that don't need that much power, or space, and have excellent clarity, the alpine 8" Type R's that came out this year are hard to beat. I'm using one in my truck right now on a very cheap amp, and it is very good. They don't have a vented pole on the basket, so you can bottom them out in an enclosure. They only need a .30 gross cu. ft. sealed enclosure as well. I'm likely to have 4 of them in my car when things are all sorted out.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:23 PM

I was considering the 8" type R actually. So it's good to hear they sound great. Thanks.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:42 PM
SL Member

The Alpine 8" if i remember them right might get a little lost in your set up depending on the x overs you have now.
Great sub but if you have a trained ear 10" or 12" for stand up bass or a kick drum is needed from the rear of the car for you to really get what to hear.
Thats why we shoe horned 8" in the doors and are just loving it. the 95% up front base with the 10" in the rear for low fill is so nice.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by noisy1eh
The Alpine 8" if i remember them right might get a little lost in your set up depending on the x overs you have now.
Great sub but if you have a trained ear 10" or 12" for stand up bass or a kick drum is needed from the rear of the car for you to really get what to hear.
Thats why we shoe horned 8" in the doors and are just loving it. the 95% up front base with the 10" in the rear for low fill is so nice.
Hmmm Very good point. I do have a trained ear and that's is one factor holding me back from getting an 8". I have been looking at Boston 10" G3 or G5 subs. I'm really liking the G5 and can pick one up at my local audio shop even though it's been discontinued.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:57 AM

alpinedb i just bought my tc2g and was thinking about upgrading the speakers. I have the scion nav system in mine so i am not going to upgrade the HU, i hope this one will be fine. How are the hertz you have? Did the adapter for the 6.5" work well?
Also if it is not to much trouble how did you get your door panels off and was it a pain? Sorry for all the questions.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:07 PM

Also do you think there is enough room to put a 4inch speaker in the 3.5 slot with just amking an adapter?
Old 07-22-2011, 09:14 PM

Russell, Sorry for the long reply. I've been off the forums for a couple of days. I considered the focal 3 way set up with the 4 inch, but I passed cause the 3 inch stock adapter fits the hertz 3" midrange perfectly. I mounted the midrange with high strength epoxy glue. The 6.5" adapter is a perfect fit, but you will need a nut and bolt to hold it up. The stock 6x9 is mounted with a pain in the ___ bolt that you can't unscrew. I ended up just snapping it out by brute force. Lol. The door panels are very easy to get off. There are three screws and then it snaps right off. One is located behind the door handle. You snap out the plastic cover. Two other screws are behind the silver trim on the door handle. You need to snap that out, but be careful. I had trim/panel removing tools for this so that I wouldn't scratch or damage my interior.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member

Nice. I'm running Hertz ML28 tweets in my truck with some (for now) alpine spx pro mids. The tweets are remarkable imo. I was waiting for an audio build on the TC to pop up.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You have 12 wires in total going from the doors to underneath the seat where the crossovers are located?
Old 07-24-2011, 11:37 AM

alpinedb, if you don't mind me asking, how did you fit the single din hu? I've been wanting to go with an aftermarket hu but haven't seen any adapters to fit a single din.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by oblivionlord
You have 12 wires in total going from the doors to underneath the seat where the crossovers are located?
I have 2 pairs from the amp on the backseat to the crossovers underneath the passenger seat, I have 3 pairs running from one crossover underneath the carpet through the doors. I have another 3 pairs running from the other crossover, underneath the carpet through to the other door. So I have 8 pairs in total. There's input, woofer, mid and tweeter = 4 and just multiply that by 2. Keep in mind this is just speaker wires and not the RCA cable, power, ground, and remote.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by bobdole8695
alpinedb, if you don't mind me asking, how did you fit the single din hu? I've been wanting to go with an aftermarket hu but haven't seen any adapters to fit a single din.
Metra just came out with a single DIN modified kit for all Scions. It comes with an extra bracket that is specifically for the TC2. I had to special order it so check out your local shop who carries Metra. Give me a sec to find the dash kit model #.

Okay the model number is 99-8230

Last edited by alpinedb; 07-25-2011 at 02:47 PM. Reason: add information
Old 07-25-2011, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looking good man
Old 07-25-2011, 02:48 PM

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2011, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How did you get to the outside of the door to put the wire from the dash to the inside of the door for the speakers? On some cars you'd have to take off the fender inorder to do this. Did you have to do that?
Old 07-26-2011, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bobdole8695
I hear tale that single din kits for the xB will fit the tC2 perfectly.

EDIT: Yep, here it is. 2008 xB single din kit will fit tC2.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...48&postcount=7
Old 07-27-2011, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by oblivionlord
How did you get to the outside of the door to put the wire from the dash to the inside of the door for the speakers? On some cars you'd have to take off the fender inorder to do this. Did you have to do that?
I did not have to do that and wires were not run from behind the dash. They were run from the crossovers which are located underneath the passenger seat. I went through the rubber grommet from the chassis of the car to the door. It was a pain and probably one of the most time consuming parts of the install aside from the sound deadening.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wish you took a pic of this rubber grommet from the chassic of the car to the door.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

aww man. now someone else has my same speaker setup, lol

sound great though
Old 08-06-2011, 09:26 PM

Anyone know of a box, other than the JL one, that is on the side and out of the way or down by the spare? I was to add some bass to my ride but dont want to take up the trunk space. Also I added the Focal A 165 3 way component system to my doors and they sound great, powered by Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4. Great tiny amp that powers everything!

Quick Reply: Hertz Audio 3-Way component speakers installed