Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Illuminated Door Sills self-install possible w/o ECU kit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Illuminated Door Sills self-install possible w/o ECU kit?

Think it's possible for the Scion tC 7-Color Illuminated Door Sills kit to work with an aftermarket power source of some kind? I can't find the installation pdf for the kit so I'm not sure which connectors it uses, nor do I have an idea as to what logic governs which of the 7 colors is selected.

Link to product: http://trdsparks.com/displayparts.ph...&parts_id=4017
Old 07-07-2011, 07:14 PM
Banned
SL Member

you are looking in the wrong place...you need to be looking here.
http://www.trdsparks.com/install/PT922-21110inst.pdf
Old 07-07-2011, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright, thank you. Do you think that'd work with an aftermarket power source without too much struggle?
Old 07-07-2011, 08:08 PM
Banned
SL Member

The ECU is only $65...how much will you save...and then will it be worth all the headaches of trying to install it?
Old 07-07-2011, 08:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Those instructions you linked to earlier are for the ECU kit, not the illuminated door sills, and don't describe the connectors on the door sills, voltages required, etc. This certainly could be a headache which is why I'm hoping to find out more information here.

I suppose if I really wanted to avoid headaches, I'd have the dealership install it. There are a lot of DIY-ers here, however. Perhaps somebody has experience with this -- that's what I'm after.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Banned
SL Member

Your illuminated door sills are a special (fancy) light bulb…an LED in a flat housing…
You are asking for instructions on how to plug in a light bulb! If you need that, you are in way over your head! The ECU is everything…that is where all the work is. The ECU is the switch and the control for the LED light for both the interior illumination lights and the illuminated door sills.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thank you 2tCornot2tC, I know you're attempting to be helpful, even if you're failing at courtesy.

I think you might be rushing to one conclusion that might not be so transparent. There could be internal logic in the illuminated door sills. Are you sure that there aren't? If you have no more information on this, then perhaps we should wait for someone who has pertinent information.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:43 AM
5 Year Member

I would have to agree with 2tc on this one though... The odds of there being any kind of logic controllers in the actual sill are pretty slim, especially considering the fact that the ecu is designed to work with BOTH the sills and under dash kit at the same time.

In my opinion that proves that any logic controllers are in the ECU itself and NOT within any of the lighting because for them to be in sync with one another, they should share the same brain.

Though, what would be interesting to see, as you have mentioned, would be to see what type of connection it has.

If it is possible to figure out the controls, then it may be possible to wire it it into another harness. You do bring up a good point though about the voltages. The controllers may be getting 12V but we don't know exactly what is getting output

I mean, if you look at dmx controls for dj and theatre lighting, theyre controlling all these different lighting schemes and color changes through essentially 3 wires, or possibly 5 depending on the system but still...

It sounds like this could be a pretty cool project. If i had the budget and time to blow on taking a door sill harness apart and my current lighting controller.. id be all over this. lol

Last edited by djsanchez; 07-08-2011 at 03:49 AM. Reason: added more info.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:46 PM
SL Member

I just finished installing my door sills and it is possible to install them without the ecu kit. However you will not be able to change the color or the sill. That is controlled in the ecu.

They can be hard wired to a on off switch but they won't function properly. Just go with the ecu kit so everything will work properly and effectively. I'll post pics of them installed tonight or tomorrow.