Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Replacing tC shift knob

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Replacing tC shift ****

I've been looking into getting a shift **** that doesn't feel so cheap for my new tC but I haven't really seen anyone replace the stock shift ****. There are usually pictures of people installing the TWM short shifter with their shift **** and as I understand it, the reverse on that is different than stock. Before shelling out $60+ bucks on a shift **** I wanted to know if anybody had attempted to replace the stock shift **** and how it integrates with the pull for the reverse.

I was looking at getting something along the lines of the TRD shift ****, or even the TRD one if I can find a 6-speed one.
Name:  trdknob.jpg
Views: 974
Size:  23.8 KB
Old 04-09-2011, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1stOne, donsun and I have all replaced our shift ***** with the TWM M1 Abrams Shift ****. I know some others on here have mentioned having different *****, but I don't remember who.

To answer what I think your questions are:
- RL on the TWM short shifter is is smaller than the stock RL, meaning anything that fits the stock RL will fit the TWM RL.
- You should be able to get just about any shift **** that says it works with a RL. Shift ***** just screw on, so any **** that will clear the RL will be fine.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member

hey guys,

I got a custom **** done from WClathewerks. He started off doing subies and went from there. Ill take a picture of mine later but this is his site:

http://www.lathewerks.com/shop/

Hes actually a buddy of mine from college and has been doing this since about 2006 i believe. We used my car for the test fitment and everything and it works well. Its pretty cool because he actually does this using a lathe and none of it is CNC and is done by hand.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I installed a B&M chrome plated aluminum T-handle shifter on mine. I found a 12mm inner diameter collar in black oxide at work that took up the space inbetween the reverse pull collar thingy. The handle fits nicely with no needed threaded inserts. Drastically improved shifting. Wish I had done it sooner. Only downside is you can see the white plastic guie inside the reverse pull. A black sharpie took care of that. Looks pretty clean surprisingly. I am not a fan of using markers normally, but I did not want to take apart the reverse pull. If you chose to dissassemble the reverse pull, you can die the white nylon guide black with Rit dye from the grocery store. It is located in the laundry detergent sections usually. Works extremly well on plastics. Very commonly used on R/C plastic components. No pics yet but will take one later on monday if anyone is interested. I personally do not like the feel of round shift ***** at all. The B&M T handle is very comfortable and the wife even commented on how much better the shifter worked.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ Disassembling and reassembling the stock RL is only about a 30 sec job if you decide you want to do more than just use sharpie.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does changing your shift **** have any purpose aside from aesthetics?
Old 04-09-2011, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

^^^Weighted ***** improve shift feel, but other than that, no, its purely aesthetic...
Old 04-09-2011, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member

Hey guys. took a couple shots of the **** just now.

Its the dual material piston grip style one that my friend makes. Feels awesome and its got some weight to it so my shifts feel easier to make.

Name:  2011-04-09_12-53-27_876.jpg
Views: 1146
Size:  58.9 KB

Name:  2011-04-09_12-54-12_184.jpg
Views: 1432
Size:  31.4 KB

Name:  2011-04-09_12-54-31_544.jpg
Views: 2639
Size:  61.5 KB
Old 04-09-2011, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That does look good!
@ MightyP...Thanks for the reassurance. I was afraid of breaking something and was pressed for time. Does the white guide slip off? I saw what looks like a metal spring or retainer under it. Any tricks? Sorry for the hijack, but i think this will help more than me.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yep, needle nose pliers or a flathead screwdriver to pop it loose. Just be a little careful of the spring.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks bud. Now I need to decide between silver or black paints/ dyes on the parts between shift **** and reverse pull.
Hey djsanchez, is it the pic. or is the distance between the top of shift **** and reverse pull that far apart? It looks like it would not feel natural when engaging reverse.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member

Yes, its as tall as it looks. I think its about 3". I had some issues at first getting used to the location of the RL but I got used to it and it doesn't bother me at all now. I guess it also has to do with the way you grip it too.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can you guys get a tad more specific on the replacement of the OEM shift ****? Is this just a typical counter-clockwise removal, then additional steps to swap out the Reverse Lever (RL?).

Also, the threading is standard Scion? So for example, the TRD leather ball **** would/should fit...
Old 04-20-2011, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

use this link for reference. it's really easy.

http://www.twmperformance.com/manual...ion-manual.pdf
Old 04-21-2011, 12:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the linky, alas the short (ball) TRD **** does not work with our 2011 tCs, just put it on and when it is snug the RL won't move... which has its downsides.

Guess I may have to put it back on the xB... *sniff*
Old 06-07-2011, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is mine got it from TRD Sparks I like it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 06-09-2011, 12:59 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It makes the shifter way too long
Old 06-09-2011, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by djsanchez
Hey guys. took a couple shots of the **** just now.

Its the dual material piston grip style one that my friend makes. Feels awesome and its got some weight to it so my shifts feel easier to make.
I'm in contact with WC Lathe Werks right now to get one of their Copolymer ***** made. Looks like damn fine work over there. Not cheap, but then...we have limited options right now.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by jsqueeze
I've been looking into getting a shift **** that doesn't feel so cheap for my new tC but I haven't really seen anyone replace the stock shift ****. There are usually pictures of people installing the TWM short shifter with their shift **** and as I understand it, the reverse on that is different than stock. Before shelling out $60+ bucks on a shift **** I wanted to know if anybody had attempted to replace the stock shift **** and how it integrates with the pull for the reverse.

I was looking at getting something along the lines of the TRD shift ****, or even the TRD one if I can find a 6-speed one.

I have this shift **** and love it. The fit-n-finish is just wonderful.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by NickF127
It makes the shifter way too long
@ Nick

It actually fits nice. I like to sit a little further back so that my knees are not sitting on top of the dash while Im trying to drive. This **** gives me just the right amount of length so that I can sit comfy and still Shift without stretching to reach the **** or gears.

Quick Reply: Replacing tC shift knob