Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

In Search Of - New Headunit

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 02:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually I likes my previous JVC HD vs my current sony unit. good choice kvnhmmd!
Old 08-01-2011, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The JVC AVX740 is an excellent blend of features for the money, no doubt about it. I'm somewhat saddened that I'll have to choose something else, but Audio is king for me when it comes to head units. Just one example, I would usually want something more than a 3-band equalizer, but let me compliment this head unit at least a little: amongst head units with 3-band equalizers, this one seems to be the most flexible implementation in that you can choose the 3 bands -- set them to any frequency you feel needs tweaking. Still, there's no provision for time alignment, and I know how much of a difference that can make -- the JVC has no apparent way of knowing precisely where the speakers are with regard to the listener. Please -- somebody correct me if I'm wrong on that but I have scoured the manual and can't find any reference to it at all.

I would consider a JVC product, but only with an external DSP such as the Audison Bit Ten, JBL MS-8, etc. These usually run at least $500-$600, but most would choose not to afford such extras, especially when you can buy a Pioneer (3300BT) which includes some of that functionality for about the same price as the JVC.

I'm leaning towards a Pioneer product, probably the 3300BT, but I haven't decided yet. Is being a perfectionist supposed to be this disabling? ;)
Old 08-01-2011, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by johnmk
... Is being a perfectionist supposed to be this disabling? ;)
Yes. It is both disababling and expensive. "good 'nuf" is easy to achieve.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If I really wanted to indulge my audiophilia, I'd acquire this puppy:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...yers/DEX-P99RS

It's incredibly sexy and about the best you can do in consumer-level car audio.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ That is a sick deck. If I had the cash to burn on something like that... woof.

I keep going back to the Pioneer....
Old 08-03-2011, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My "final" decision is two-part:

1) I went with the JVC KW-AVX740 right now since it was on sale for over half off MSRP. That's $500 at MSRP, $238 on sale:

Amazon Amazon

2) When the 2012 models start appearing in a few months, I'll purchase my final unit then and sell/gift this one.

I can't knock the excellent feature and value blend of the JVC 740, it really is an excellent buy at $238. I just can't justify getting anything higher-end right now . . . too many trade-offs with the more expensive models offered by other manufacturers, and I have the feeling that great things are coming right around the corner.

My two pfennigs.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm exploring specialized equalizers which can work with any head unit, e.g.:

http://www.car-hifi-radeberg.de/prod...ssor-1119.html

31-band equalizer, time alignment, etc.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not bad, the JVC does have some nice options, and the price is good. How long do you think you would spend working with that 31-band EQ?
Old 08-04-2011, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Alpine PXE-H660 might be a good choice, in combination with any head unit. Basically -- buy the head unit of your choice, and then buy the PXE-H660 to make it sound perfect:

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/pxe-h660

Can be had for a bit over $200.

Using Audyssey's MultEQ calibration technology, has a 512-band automatic equalization with an included calibration microphone. This plays test tones through all the speakers, corrects for speaker location/distance from main listening position(s) of your choice, and creates something like a THX/IMAX-spec frequency response. I have the full Audyssey system deployed in my home theater (MultEQ XT32, Dynamic EQ, Dynamic Volume, High & Wide DSX) -- it's definitely a company I trust.

http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/multeq
Old 08-12-2011, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Had second thoughts on the head unit and went with the Pioneer AVH-P3300BT, as I had originally planned in-fact:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...rs/AVH-P3300BT

I've got it hooked up & working, but will probably be making some minor changes in the configuration, wiring & whatnot, invariably, as I become more familiar with exactly how this system works and interacts with Toyota's speaker system, which has some wrinkles to it that I don't yet understand fully.

Initial impressions are positive, I like Pioneer's interface, the 8-band EQ is superb but only lets you adjust 10kHz and below. A little odd considering that there is a lot of musical content between 10kHz and 18kHz, frequencies which I can hear better than most (this is a definite mixed blessing), but in practice you usually want things pretty flat up there anyway or maybe only mild attenuation, and all 8 bands focused in the bass, mid-bass, and treble area does give you more precise control where it's needed most.

As I become more familiar with everything I'll be sure to post back.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dude, that's awesome. I'm still really planning to just buy that 3300BT, and do a heck of a bunch of photos of the wiring setup, with the steering wheel control adapter, backup camera, etc (not sure about parking break bypass still)....

But glad to hear it's working out so far. I wonder how it will be if you buy the EQ as well...
Old 08-12-2011, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just an FYI in case anybody's sitting on the sidelines thinking this stuff is tough. It isn't! It's really easy to swap out the stock head unit and put in an aftermarket setup -- I think I was done in about a lazy hour, and I've never swapped a head unit before.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If it is only the headunit, totally easy. Wire it up and go.

I'm putting aside a morning to do the work I plan on doing... but that involves popping the hatch apart, drilling the camera to the gate release housing, running wiring, etc... and running a video-in for my phone (3 rca jacks -> micro USB = SuperNintendo on the headunit), and possibly running the AC power for the Garmin behind the dash...

...I'm going to need a few beers for this.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A backup camera really is a near necessity with this car, perhaps I shouldn't be so concerned with aestethics, but I am. Are you going for as invisible a setup as possible? That's my goal. I'm too in-love with my license plate frame to cover it up with a strap-on.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nope, totally going to bolt on... it will probably look out of place, but I plan to get an all black plate frame just to help make it a slight bit less obvious...

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-XA-R800C.html

If you check the photos, you can see the housing base that attaches to the car. I plan to remove the trunk release/plate lights housing, and the slightly recessed lip will get 4 holes drilled in it, loctite some small bolts or something, and run the cable along the existing wires in the hatch.

I plant to pull it apart this weekend to look and make SURE this will work...
Old 08-15-2011, 11:46 PM

Just got my tcgen2 couple months ago. Pretty new to this forum thing. I'm really interested in finding a decent headunit. I don't need the navigation or touchscreen. Just bluetooth will suffice. Any thoughts? ty
Old 09-06-2011, 04:37 AM

so glad i stumbled onto this. i've just been researching and have come down to basically the same situation Scratch is in. seriously considering the Pioneer 3300BT. I like the 4xxx series, but I don't like the motorized screen, would rather have a solid piece that can't break or fail. are you guys installing *with* the factory radio door, or just taking that off? my main stipulation in upgrading is being able to keep that radio door.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:39 AM

i was also looking at the JVC AVX740... and the Sony. traditionally I love Sony products, but that particular one seems like it's gotten heat in customer reviews. Anyone with product info or install details please keep us up to date.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The 3300BT I installed weeks ago is working fantastically for me. The only thing I was a little bummed about was the Auto EQ, it doesn't seem to work, but I was able to achieve a very good equalization curve manually using the 8-band EQ.

I ground the parking brake wire with a relay, and also a switch, so I can ground the parking brake wire even when Source Off on the head unit is selected, something the relay alone can't accomplish because in Source Off mode, the head unit doesn't send current down the blue 12v accessory/trigger wire. That extra step is necessary, at least, for running Auto EQ, but a lot of people get by fine without the extra switch, and as I've mentioned, I haven't found Auto EQ on this unit to live up to the Pioneer reputation so maybe it's not necessary to wire up a switch. It's possible I have a defective calibration mic tho, so I'll withhold the full force of my fury till I'm more firm on that fact.

I'll try to post back later with more impressions in the morning.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kyalstyle
are you guys installing *with* the factory radio door, or just taking that off? my main stipulation in upgrading is being able to keep that radio door.
You're in the second generation forums friend. The tC2 doesn't have a radio door.

Quick Reply: In Search Of - New Headunit