Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

In Search Of - New Headunit

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Rotz
You're in the second generation forums friend. The tC2 doesn't have a radio door.
OH. you guys fancy, huh?

lol. sorry. I have been doing Google searches and this thread popped up, and I got excited since these are some of the head units I've been looking at, along with trying to determine fitment issues.

however... my curiosity about these same HU's and details, features, quality, issues, etc. still apply at least, so i'll keep looking.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:47 AM

PS- I know I don't belong here (with my tc1 ) but FYI after much debate i just made the late-night online purchase (You know the one, where you're up looking at isht for hours, and your eyes are bloodshot, and somehow stuff ended up in your shopping cart and you clicked "buy", and the consequences won't sink in until tomorrow? ) and went with the Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD.

Anyway. I really am not a big fan of the motorized screen, but my sleep-deprived logic has dictated these obvious points, without even using it yet:

Pros:
-big clean 7" screen
-rear connectors+ports (no yard sale sticking out the front of the radio)
-lots of versatility in terms of iPod, Aux, Video, SD, USB, etc.
-8 band EQ, with individual crossovers and a pretty impressive list of basic sound capabilities (maybe most of them have something similar, but some of them i saw had only a basic 3 band EQ.)

Cons:
-Motorized faceplate with undoubtedly a limited life-span
-no volume "****" (i love having a rotary dial for volume, but i think i'll get used to not having it)
-14 watts RMS per channel, as opposed to several others i viewed that had 22 watts, a considerable difference in power; although i don't believe "higher" power numbers always equates to more/better sound. but at least it is still MOSFET hardware.

anyway, if anyone is still on the fence, i'll give my 2 cents once i receive/install/*enjoy* it. fingers crossed.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Arrow

I am also in search of a New Headunit. This is my first car with a changeable HU so I am a newbie at this...

Best Buy Canada has the Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD on sale for $450, which is good because if I were to get it from an eBay USA seller it would cost more to get it up here anyways. So that would be my deck of choice (yay!)

I already have a wiring harness on the way from eBay, but how necessary is a dash kit? I don't really get the need for it. The tC comes with the standard Pionner DD unit so there should be some sort of mounting bracket inside no?
I have seen dash kits with 2 sides on it and another kit with also a bottom portion, which one is best for the tC?

Thanks to KidJustin's thread I ordered the same wiring harness. But then his dash kit required some adjustments. Right now I don't have the tools to do the work so which dash kit would work without the need for cutting?

Thanks guys!
Old 09-20-2011, 02:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i also like having a rotary volume **** so i can decrease the volume as fast as i want without using mute.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just installed the new INA-W910 in my 2011 tc and, well its an amazing head unit.
It has everything you would need (well almost). You can fine tune the sound to your need better than any unit with out an audio processor. It has Navigation, Ipod/USB and bluetooth and its ready for a back up camera, whether its alpine specific or aftermarket. I have it hooked up to a video bypass and the Axess SWC steering wheel control unit which worked flawless. What its missing is Bluetooth streaming audio, which I though it has and I'm disappointed that it doesn't. Maybe if the release a new firmware it might work.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I Installed the FH-P8000BT. It's an exceptional unit for this vehicle. The fitment is exactly the same as the 4300. I wasn't going for a large LCD so I chose this instead and I love the **** for fast gain control. I'd guess that the quality is the same as the 4300 from at least what I can gather on paper specs.

It has BT built in also
Old 01-16-2012, 04:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This was a lot of help and I was leaning towards the p4300dvd but after I include all the add-ons I'm looking at $1149. Kenwood has always been my brand of choice for HU. I've always had Kenwood and never had any issues with them. Pioneer seems okay, never really used them. Alpine is nice but way overpriced compared to what you get. So with a little research this is what I've come up with, in preference order:

Kenwood Excelon DNX6980 runs $799; has built in BT and NAVI, 22 watts RMS, 5 volt preamp outs, 2 yr warranty, 3 band EQ; Steering Wheel controls adds $69; Backup Camera adds any where from $199-$349, depending on your preference. (I want to make sure I can see everything behind me, Ive already scratched the rear bumper because its hard enough) Price with top camera $1219.

Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD runs $499; No BT, add $179; No NAVI, add $399; 14 watts RMS, 4 volt preamp outs, 1 yr warranty, 8 band EQ; Add steering wheel and camera, price is $1498.

Alpine INA-W900BT runs $899; BT and NAVI built in; 18 watts RMS, 2 volt preamp outs, 2 yr warranty, NO EQ; add steering wheel and camera, price is $1319.

I will be going with the Kenwood obviously.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You should take a look at Alpine INA-W910. Its feature packed equivalent to the kenwood plus HD radio and Pandora if you have an Ipod or Iphone. It also has the best built in equalizer. I have one in my TC2 and the sound is crisp and clear even with the volume on loud, and I'm still running stock speakers. 800 is too much for the W900. I picked up the W910 for $900 new.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Noticed a lot of you in this thread are looking for double din stereo with dvd, I've got a sony xav60 that I have no intention of using that I am getting rid of for $250+ shipping
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=208117

And to those looking at the ina-w900 alpine unit... dont, I cant stand that stereo it looks like something that shouldve been sold 10 years ago.

Otherwise I highly recommend the kenwoods, I personally have the 6180 and love it, my only complaint is 2v preouts and no bt streaming, which doesnt really both me as I have an aux wire ran for my phone
Old 01-18-2012, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone who hasn't looked at Pioneer's 2012 offerings is bound to find what he's looking for after another look at Pioneer's website. They've added Bluetooth to many of their radios as well as other neat features. If I weren't currently spending all my effort fighting Toyota to get my car fixed I might be looking a the new AVH-P4400BH with Built-in HD Radio and Bluetooth!