Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by dhj517
i love green - not only my favorite color but the number one color in my scheme haha

car looks great. have you considered going lower?
I have thought about it numerous times, but for the road conditions where I live, I have talked myself out of it. Maybe if Ga would do like their neighbors in Fl and put up polls on the road in order to raise funds to keep the pavement in prestine condition. But then I would just be spending my money on going places.

And thanks everyone for the comments on the green. I finially finished the dash a couple weeks back when I removed the steering wheel bezel.

Pics as soon as I can afford time, but I'm sure I will snap a few at the car show this week.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:50 PM
SL Member

Any new pics yet? Did the replacement hood come in? And can we see the Killerglass in the tC2? I first saw it at a show in a tC1 and thought it was one of the most original ideas I had seen in a while. I'd love to see it installed on a 2nd gen.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Awesome job! Looks great! I'm actually going to paint and vinyl wrap certain pieces.

Quick ?: Did you use filler primer to smooth out the center pieces so it looks flat? I can't tell from the pictures. Also did you buff it after the clear?

[QUOTE=Superpickel;3844162]Finished the interior painting aside from the silver steering wheel bezels... Here is pics and hopefully, I can do a write up on dash removal soon for all of those wanting to do the same...

Attachment 53920

Last edited by r2dnel; 03-16-2019 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

three question i actually just started painting my silver trim and was wondering do you have to remove the whole dash in order to paint tthe a/c vents if so what is it just another pop or are there actually bolts holding this on

last question is have you attempted to remove the steering wheel and paint that trim
Old 07-25-2011, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by JPfeffer
Any new pics yet? Did the replacement hood come in? And can we see the Killerglass in the tC2? I first saw it at a show in a tC1 and thought it was one of the most original ideas I had seen in a while. I'd love to see it installed on a 2nd gen.
Gonna post some pics right now...

Originally Posted by r2dnel
Awesome job! Looks great! I'm actually going to paint and vinyl wrap certain pieces.

Quick ?: Did you use filler primer to smooth out the center pieces so it looks flat? I can't tell from the pictures. Also did you buff it after the clear?
Used a primer on the center pieces, but did not fill in the dimples. All the other pieces, I sanded, painted, cleared, and then wet sanded. No polish. I don't plan on doing it at the moment unless it starts fading and I have to do it again.

Originally Posted by devanb3
three question i actually just started painting my silver trim and was wondering do you have to remove the whole dash in order to paint tthe a/c vents if so what is it just another pop or are there actually bolts holding this on

last question is have you attempted to remove the steering wheel and paint that trim
And I apologize once more. I have been engrossed in computer programming classes that I have not had time to do the write up. I will work on it now while I have some time off from school.

I removed the whole dash to get all the pieces, you can lift the dash up and acrobatically remove the far right corner vent, but it is just easier to remove the dash since you already have 3/4 of it stripped out anyways.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Here are some much awaited pics of updates. I have the hood pics on here, but they are not the new hood. That should be arriving in the next couple of weeks. The KillerGlass is installed and there are pics. Also, the steering wheel is painted and pics of that are available.

Name:  tCshow5.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  51.7 KB
steering wheel painted

Name:  tCshow4.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  55.9 KB
KillerGlass installed w/ radiator flush and replace with silicone based lubricant... (just couldn't keep the pink

Name:  tCshow3.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  52.1 KB
Hood is unlatched in the next two pics. Fittament is ok, a little smaller than OEM left to right and the kick stand holes are too small. Other than that, great item.

Name:  tCshow2.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  49.1 KB

Name:  tCshow.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  53.1 KB
Tails are VHTed with three coats on Night Shades, four of clear. I've damn near become a professional painter at this point.

next on the list is the door inserts and headliner. While I was at the remix show, found a local fabric store. Baught some black faux suede which was 24.99 a yard/ 60" wide, for less than half of that. They were having a 4th of July sale. I got 4 yards and a large rattle can of spray adhessive for $30.

As for the dash DIY, I will try my best to get it done this week. Since I don't have any school work, I should be able to get it done.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:36 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

those tails are invisibly DArK

What are you studying?
Old 07-26-2011, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

They are really not as dark as they seem. Light output is still good and can be seen when on in the daytime. You can still see the red in the light in person from about 30ft away.

Video Game Programming. Half-way through school. So if I start typing code into one of my comment, you now know what happened...
Old 07-26-2011, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you swap your coolant to the green stuff or is that just the way the glass is designed?
Old 07-26-2011, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

^ look right below the pic...
Old 07-26-2011, 01:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Druidiron
Did you swap your coolant to the green stuff or is that just the way the glass is designed?
Also check the killerglass website:

http://killerglass.com/content/view/24/25/

I can already see MightyP eyeing the BLOOD color...
Old 07-26-2011, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Very nice superpickle loving the color combo and the hood please tell me what clear coat you used on top of the VHt night shades thanks!
Old 07-26-2011, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ugh, don't tempt me!
Old 07-27-2011, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

I got the KillerGlass at a discount. I think they are listed right at 200. My wife found a guy on Craigslist that was selling his for the 2nd gen xB, never used. I had talked with a KillerGlass rep before and they told me that the 2nd Gen tC was the same glass. Bought it off the Craigslist guy shipped at $85. My wife was gonna put it on her xB, but father's day landed it on my ride.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

$85 isn't bad. $200 just seems a bit high.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

agreed
Old 08-02-2011, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Need info on the tail lights how many cans of VHt nite shades did you use? Did you sand them first? If so what grit(s) did you use? What clear coat did you use? How many cans?
On the interior paint what paint did you use? What grit sand paper what primer did you use? Thanks
Old 08-02-2011, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Backinblacktc2
Need info on the tail lights how many cans of VHt nite shades did you use? Did you sand them first? If so what grit(s) did you use? What clear coat did you use? How many cans?
On the interior paint what paint did you use? What grit sand paper what primer did you use? Thanks
I'm not gonna lie, i was terrible at the VHT to start off with. But after doing the tails 3 times, I became pretty good at it. The last time (when I got it right), I had the lights sanded from stock. Used 1000 grit to get a fine sanding on the lights. Painted 3 layers of VHT, uniform spray over the whole light. Remember to start the spray before it hits the light and continue to spray until you are past the light. DO NOT try to spray heavy coats. Many light coats is the best idea and I would recommend no more than 4 (3 was perfect for me). After that, I did a light snad with 1000 grit (wet sanding). Then I did a heavy coat of clear. After drying, wet sanded with 1000 grit. Another heavy layer of clear then wet sand (1000 grit). Then two light, even coats. After that dried, a wet sand with 2000 grit. You should then see a haze where you sanded. Make sure to sand in the same direction the whole time, makes it easier when polishing.

After all of the painting, started with two coats of Meguires polish. Rubbed in hard and then wiped off with terry towel. Next was two coats of Meguires Plastix. Same as the polish. After that, three layers of wax. All of this gave it a shine.

I only used one can of VHT (for all three attempts) and 3 different cans of clear for each attempt. Ended up using Krylon Crystal Clear in the end for clear coat.

For the interior parts... Primed with basic white primer. Green with flourescent yard paint (green), and then clear. After painting on the green, I wetsanded with 1000 grit to remove raised areas. Then cleared and sanded with 2000 grit. Then polished and waxed to give a shine.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks so when you started the lights with by sanding with 1000 grit sand paper was it a wet sanding or dry sanding? Also for the interior what is yard paint? What brand did you use? Also for the interior did you use Krylon Crystal Clear as your clear coat?
Old 08-02-2011, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Backinblacktc2
Thanks so when you started the lights with by sanding with 1000 grit sand paper was it a wet sanding or dry sanding? Also for the interior what is yard paint? What brand did you use? Also for the interior did you use Krylon Crystal Clear as your clear coat?
Sorry, started the lights by lightly wet sanding with the 1000 grit. Gets the surface prepped for the paint.

Interior paint- go to lowes/home depot, look for a rattle can with a flourescent green top (will be with the flourescent oragne and pink). Shows a green skateboard with pink stripes on the front of the label.

Interior clear- valspar gloss clear. You can use any clear you like though. clear is clear as long as you know whether you want a satin/dull or gloss finish.

Quick Reply: 2011 "Black Beauty" Updated 7/25 Pics of progress