Notices
Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

2012 Scion tC with 2 Reverse Lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 10:17 PM
SL Member

2nd Tail Light Install. It sucks that it's required for the 2011's, but it's better than buying a 2012 if the reverse light is the biggest problem you have with the car. Sorry guys.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm ok with 1 RL, but I am gonna do the mod so people can stop telling me I have a light out. Geesh....

Now that obnoxious performance is gone. Where can we get the kit??
Old 08-03-2011, 02:19 AM
SL Member

i've decided to fix the problem for everyone, including myself, and provide a "90's Ford Motor Company Recall"

Old 08-03-2011, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JPfeffer

2nd Tail Light Install. It sucks that it's required for the 2011's, but it's better than buying a 2012 if the reverse light is the biggest problem you have with the car. Sorry guys.
It isn't the biggest problem, because big problems are covered by recalls and warranties. Its the problem that toyota deliberately set knowing that its small enough to be ignored but big enough to line their pockets.

belitting and ignoring this matter is what toyota wants, because they dont have to do anything while you the customer has to do everything. An extreme way of looking at it is, toyota stole your reverse light are selling it to their other customers.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:45 AM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ninerbud
i've decided to fix the problem for everyone, including myself, and provide a "90's Ford Motor Company Recall"

haha no joke. i was literally thinking of a clever sticker to put in the back that said something to that extent...not as long though
Old 08-03-2011, 06:45 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KidJustin
haha no joke. i was literally thinking of a clever sticker to put in the back that said something to that extent...not as long though

i had a bunch of bumper stickers on corolla lol

no way my new baby is gonna have any writing on it! front debadge coming soon!
Old 08-03-2011, 06:46 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chicagokid
I'm ok with 1 RL, but I am gonna do the mod so people can stop telling me I have a light out. Geesh....

Now that obnoxious performance is gone. Where can we get the kit??

kit was like ~$35!

buy stuff off ebay and total will be less than $15
Old 08-03-2011, 12:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whats all the stuff you bought off ebay for the install?
Old 08-03-2011, 01:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I understand that it is an "easy" fix. For most of you who know how to turn a wrench, or splice wires.

I know this is a car geared towards "tuners", but I would wager that many people, if you hand them a drill and tell them to make a hole in their lamp housing, they will look at you like you are nuts. Explain that it is the only way to correct a "design" change/flaw/etc that Toyota/Scion has changed for 2012, they may want it fixed by the company.

It's just one of those things, if people don't know about it, nothing changes. Similar to the Alpine issue.

Last edited by Scratch; 08-03-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:42 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

not about our car...but about the issue

short, kind of interesting...thought i'd share

http://blog.cardomain.com/2009/02/03...-out-or-is-it/
Old 08-03-2011, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't live in Europe. I have quite a few friends there, and this it ONLY based on what they have said....

Rear fog on the driver's side and two working reverse lights = European Design.

Reverse light on driver's side only = Toyota/Scion interpretation of European Design? (whoops, ok next model year fix that, ok done.)
Old 08-04-2011, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scratch
I don't live in Europe. I have quite a few friends there, and this it ONLY based on what they have said....

Rear fog on the driver's side and two working reverse lights = European Design.

Reverse light on driver's side only = Toyota/Scion interpretation of European Design? (whoops, ok next model year fix that, ok done.)
like i said earlier, a Japanese company adapts a European design for an American market.

the article mentions the fog light is red. i donno what others might think, but if i drove with a red fog light, people would think i'm riding my brakes which could become an even bigger hazard. I'm not saying it isn't safe in europe, but american perception of motor etiquette is so different. well thats behind us now, because toyota fixed this and this will not be a problem for anyone else... except for everyone who owns a tc2 right now.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by nolakpd504
3) i don't understand why would u fight against scion about something you bought as is from scion( thats like buying an iPhone from at&t and going back to them and saying "This is not an Android!"(when you wanted an android), or buying the car and going back and saying "There's no turbo on the car!", simple retarded).
Wow, that may be the worst analogy I've ver heard. ;)

Someone informed me the day after I bought my 2011 back in March that I "had a reverse light out". I called the service department of my dealership and they informed me that it was designed that way. Why it was designed that way still makes no sense to me at all. It absolutely is a safety concern and I'd be curious to see if an insurance company would say you're at fault in an accident for not having a reverse light on the passenger side. I understand they consider this a European design, but in America we have American companies that like to stick it to their customers in a very American way.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:31 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Lesson learned with buying my first new vehicle, 08 xb. Never buy a first year model and also try to wait for the mid-cylce refresh.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by oblivionlord
Whats all the stuff you bought off ebay for the install?
http://cgi.ebay.com/7440-T20-Wedge-Light-Bulb-Socket-Connector-/220416824377?pt=BI_Electrical_Equipment_Tools&hash=item3351ddd439#ht_1576wt_1140
or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2x-74...#ht_3135wt_940

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/86-BU...#ht_1640wt_855

plus wires

that's it
Old 08-07-2011, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Clockwork

Someone informed me the day after I bought my 2011 back in March that I "had a reverse light out". I called the service department of my dealership and they informed me that it was designed that way. Why it was designed that way still makes no sense to me at all. It absolutely is a safety concern and I'd be curious to see if an insurance company would say you're at fault in an accident for not having a reverse light on the passenger side. I understand they consider this a European design, but in America we have American companies that like to stick it to their customers in a very American way.
It is definitely safe to say there was absolutely no thought of design that went into the decision to make one reverse light. obviously this was a cost cutting measure. Nothing more.

Now, are you guys, as customers, going to apologize for toyota, make excuses for them, patch it up with your mod and pretend it didn't happen? while you spend 15-35 bucks on such an easy fix, toyota is laughing all the way to the bank with their millions.

hate to exaggerate, but until people get over the idea that this is minor problem, toyota will continue take advantage of their customers.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ You are correct. Something is "minor" until lots of people think otherwise. Leaking fuel lines and cars bursting into flames randomly were "minor" problems until enough people disagreed with corporate.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:46 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Clockwork

Think about my analogy a little bit more(it relates to the last word in that post I made).

And you do realize the car is made by a straight up Japanese company and your first character in your VIN number is "J", right?

Also, in America only one reverse light is required on all motor vehicles. And 90% if someone hits you from behind in an accident, it is NOT your fault.

Look up yo shiz, sir.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:56 AM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

so i explained my reverse light to a none-tc2/not into cars girl

she thought it was weird and said that her aunt recently got a ticket for 1 reverse light being out

i know by law...u only need 1, but our car does APPEAR TO LOOK LIKE its out..thus dickcops could write you up for it

with that said, what if people get tickets for that (reverse light out)....yes we can fight it because of the law, blah blah blah...so skip that argument

...but would Toyota be on the hook for tickets and such? could that be enough to get something done
Old 08-08-2011, 07:40 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

okay here are few facts/highly educated guesses...

1. This is not http://www.4chan.org/
2. This site works as long as people are willing to help those that need help while maintaining common sense respect to others.
3. If you were to ask 100 people that own 2011 tC whether they feel like they were ____ED by not having 2nd reverse light then at least 95 of them would say YES!
4. Toyota ____ed up/saved lotta $$$
5. Somebody needs to crash/die/kill somebody before this actually will be at the top of Toyota's "Ah ____ we messed up list"

It is very sad that Toyota is now in the BIG 3 DO NOT BUY LIST. The others are GM and VW. All of the above have been running their companies extremely lean aka only in a profit seeking way with poor QA control

http://everydaydriver.com/advice/avoid-1/

Last edited by Scion202; 08-08-2011 at 07:50 AM.

Quick Reply: 2012 Scion tC with 2 Reverse Lights