Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

2012 Scion tC with 2 Reverse Lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scion202
okay here are few facts/highly educated guesses...

1. This is not http://www.4chan.org/
2. This site works as long as people are willing to help those that need help while maintaining common sense respect to others.
3. If you were to ask 100 people that own 2011 tC whether they feel like they were ____ED by not having 2nd reverse light then at least 95 of them would say YES!
4. Toyota ____ed up/saved lotta $$$
5. Somebody needs to crash/die/kill somebody before this actually will be at the top of Toyota's "Ah ____ we messed up list"

It is very sad that Toyota is now in the BIG 3 DO NOT BUY LIST. The others are GM and VW. All of the above have been running their companies extremely lean aka only in a profit seeking way with poor QA control

http://everydaydriver.com/advice/avoid-1/
That's just a small site's opinion.

Toyota is still number 1 in sales.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11101263...n-global-sales
Old 08-08-2011, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

i was not talking about the sales at all. People will buy stuff based on reputation of the past/advertisements.

McDonald aint that great and it still makes billions of dollars.

i was more reffering to the way the compony is run. Rather then being run by car enthusiasts/ people that want to make a car with a heart and soul(i know sounds kinda ___) it's being being run/operated by accountants which is pretty self explanatory......
Old 08-09-2011, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

They probably have a small team that are car enthusiasts, but they are a business, and ultimately are here to make money.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was more reffering to the way the compony is run. Rather then being run by car enthusiasts/ people that want to make a car with a heart and soul(i know sounds kinda ___) it's being being run/operated by accountants which is pretty self explanatory......
We like to call those people "bean counters"...

There are a few of us enthusiasts here, but not as many as you'd probably think/expect.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KidJustin
so i explained my reverse light to a none-tc2/not into cars girl

she thought it was weird and said that her aunt recently got a ticket for 1 reverse light being out

i know by law...u only need 1, but our car does APPEAR TO LOOK LIKE its out..thus dickcops could write you up for it

with that said, what if people get tickets for that (reverse light out)....yes we can fight it because of the law, blah blah blah...so skip that argument

...but would Toyota be on the hook for tickets and such? could that be enough to get something done

THIS SO HARD.

If the car LOOKS like its suppose to have one reverse light that would be fine, but when 2-3 years goes by, there will be MORE TC2s with TWO reverse lights and we will be wasting OUR time and money to rectify TOYOTA'S MISTAKE.

If every single tc2 from now until the end of its run has one reverse light(IE xB2), it will become common knowledge with the public, but common knowledge will suggest a TC2 should have TWO reverse light.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nolakpd504
Think about my analogy a little bit more(it relates to the last word in that post I made).

And you do realize the car is made by a straight up Japanese company and your first character in your VIN number is "J", right?

Also, in America only one reverse light is required on all motor vehicles. And 90% if someone hits you from behind in an accident, it is NOT your fault.

Look up yo shiz, sir.
I must have missed it, but what does the J in the VIN and being a Japanese company have anything to do with anything?

The whole point of bringing up origination is that the 1 reverse light design originated from a (arguably) European design. VW does that alot, even if they are making cars for an American audience which makes since, because they are a European company. Toyota doesn't have that same excuse. They are a Japanese company adopting a European design for an American audience. The typical American thinks its a burned out light rather than a design. It isn't a cool European design, its a cheap cost cutting tactic.

In the case of the IPhone, it was actually a design flaw rather than a cost cutting measure. Apple wanted to increase reception by bringing the internal antenna out while still eliminating an actual rabbit ear antenna. It wasn't Apple trying to be cheap (giving the ipod a crappy camera was apple being cheap), it was Apple making a mistake. and by all means i'm not an apple fan, just trying to be fair.

Thus your comparison between the iphone antenna fiasco and toyota cheaping out on the 2011 tc2s is invalid.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:56 AM
SL Member

Who the *beeep* is www.everydaydriver.com?

Toyota products are the best out there.

Originally Posted by XerotC
I must have missed it, but what does the J in the VIN and being a Japanese company have anything to do with anything?

The whole point of bringing up origination is that the 1 reverse light design originated from a (arguably) European design. VW does that alot, even if they are making cars for an American audience which makes since, because they are a European company. Toyota doesn't have that same excuse. They are a Japanese company adopting a European design for an American audience. The typical American thinks its a burned out light rather than a design. It isn't a cool European design, its a cheap cost cutting tactic.

In the case of the IPhone, it was actually a design flaw rather than a cost cutting measure. Apple wanted to increase reception by bringing the internal antenna out while still eliminating an actual rabbit ear antenna. It wasn't Apple trying to be cheap (giving the ipod a crappy camera was apple being cheap), it was Apple making a mistake. and by all means i'm not an apple fan, just trying to be fair.

Thus your comparison between the iphone antenna fiasco and toyota cheaping out on the 2011 tc2s is invalid.
The "J" in front of the VIN number means the car was made in Japan. Just like my old Hyundai had "K" for Korea. the rest of the numbers mean the engine size, package, and car number,etc.

The guy said he wanted his car to be more "American" , but he bought a car from a Japanese company. To me, if you would rather a more "American" car, you'd buy from an American car company.

One missing light bulb out of a car is probably 1-3 whopping bucks they are saving on every tC. I don't think it was a cost cutting feature. Probably 50 cents a bulb really if you think of buying in bulk. They either totally forgot about the right side(i HIGHLY doubt through all the tests and safety tests they go through), or they meant it the way it was suppose to be.

And the iPhone was a design FLAW, and the reverse light is not a design flaw. I was not comparing the two....lol

Last edited by nolakpd504; 08-09-2011 at 04:06 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

McDonald aint that great and it still makes billions of dollars.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK.

lol

Is there a specific part number that anyone can provide to search for this light on eBay or elsewhere? I'd like to try installing this one on my own though I'll need to pick up the harness and a 1-1/16" spade/drill bit. The video is a little confusing on the location of the drilling but I figure I can look at the driver's side light to see where the hole is on that side.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Toshio
They probably have a small team that are car enthusiasts, but they are a business, and ultimately are here to make money.
I think Toyota's engineers are car enthusiasts. Evident to me by the company's desire to design the Scion FR-S with "the soul of the Sprinter Trueno."
Old 08-09-2011, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Clockwork
I think Toyota's engineers are car enthusiasts. Evident to me by the company's desire to design the Scion FR-S with "the soul of the Sprinter Trueno."
what is desired may not and usually will not lead to reality unfortunately. its nice for them to throw out nice sounding and idealistic catch phrases like that, so i guess we'll see if the the actual car will live up to their desire.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:12 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Clockwork
YOU TAKE THAT BACK.

lol

Is there a specific part number that anyone can provide to search for this light on eBay or elsewhere? I'd like to try installing this one on my own though I'll need to pick up the harness and a 1-1/16" spade/drill bit. The video is a little confusing on the location of the drilling but I figure I can look at the driver's side light to see where the hole is on that side.
On the back of the passenger lamp, there should be small folded lines (like when u fold paper it gives it that folded line) where you should cut.It's funny theres lines where it should be cut,but it's not cut already. Lol
Old 08-09-2011, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Who the *beeep* is www.everydaydriver.com?

Toyota products are the best out there.

The "J" in front of the VIN number means the car was made in Japan. Just like my old Hyundai had "K" for Korea. the rest of the numbers mean the engine size, package, and car number,etc.

The guy said he wanted his car to be more "American" , but he bought a car from a Japanese company. To me, if you would rather a more "American" car, you'd buy from an American car company.

One missing light bulb out of a car is probably 1-3 whopping bucks they are saving on every tC. I don't think it was a cost cutting feature. Probably 50 cents a bulb really if you think of buying in bulk. They either totally forgot about the right side(i HIGHLY doubt through all the tests and safety tests they go through), or they meant it the way it was suppose to be.

And the iPhone was a design FLAW, and the reverse light is not a design flaw. I was not comparing the two....lol
I won't speak for Clockwork, but he was being very sly in the way he said that last statement about Americans sticking it to Americans in a very American way. He was inferring about capitalism more than actually referring to American design. The American way is after all capticalism, and negative conotations of capitalism is The Man, Greed, and lowering the bottom end at all costs etc... Don't wanna over explain it, but he was basically saying what i said earlier that all they cared about was cutting costs to maximize profits by any means necessary.

Saying that if one wants american design they should buy american brands is a fair argument if that was Clockwork's whole point. But again, my interpretation of his post is, what does european anything have to do with this equation. Yes, toyota is a japanese company, and yes they are selling to Americans. Thus, if one buys a Toyota, they are expecting Japanese design, or a Japanese interpretation of American design. where in that formula does Europe have anything to do with this? That i believe is part of clockwork's point.

2-3 bucks, multiplied by the shear volume of cars toyota sells globally and that 2-3 bucks adds up to alot. Great for toyota of course, bad for their customers. Belittling the matter only hurts the customer. even worst if it costs 2-3 bucks for toyota to add a second light, and it costs the end customer 15-35 bucks, SO MUCH MONEY IS BEING LOST BY THE CUSTOMER.

Obviously it was not an accident, they deliberately designed it with one reverse light like they deliberately designed 2 reverse lights for the 2012. Its not a flaw, because they delierbately chose to design it in such a way. The key word is deliberate. more like a flaw in decision making.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:23 PM
SL Member

Actually the bulb would cost like not even a dollar..50 x 50,000(maybe they made?) = 25,000. Thats not even a mere penny to Toyota.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually the bulb would cost like not even a dollar..50 x 50,000(maybe they made?) = 25,000. Thats not even a mere penny to Toyota.

which is all the more infuriating for the 2011 owners that only have 1 reverse light. if they are not saving that much money, they are screwing those of us who have to pay 150% mark up to fit their pennys solution. If it costs pennys to them then why can they not make a kit for us? cause that will cost even more than if they had added the light in the first place? stupid stupid mistake toyota that they should..., must perhaps, bite their loses and make this right to US.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:34 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

me beings to think...

i wonder how feasible an backup camera would be in place of the 2nd reverse light
Old 08-09-2011, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not going to knock your price estimate, as the total amount would still be minimal, but it's probably: bulb, socket assembly, wiring... additional machining steps to drill out the lamp or have a new lamp formed with the socket already cut out...

Basically enough annoying steps that it is highly unlikely Toyota/Scion will do anything about this. I still think any of us who are not pleased should call them, just to voice the opinion.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:50 PM
SL Member

which is all the more infuriating for the 2011 owners that only have 1 reverse light. if they are not saving that much money, they are screwing those of us who have to pay 150% mark up to fit their pennys solution. If it costs pennys to them then why can they not make a kit for us? cause that will cost even more than if they had added the light in the first place? stupid stupid mistake toyota that they should..., must perhaps, bite their loses and make this right to US.
Because of the fact that a careless worker will probabaly doing some of this work and mess up and the driver will complain and receive a new lamp that costs hundreds. If it costs pennies, then thats my way of thinking that it was meant to be the way it was designed....Come on this is Toyota, one of the biggest companies out there. The cars go through a huge amount of safety tests including lights. You think they would have missed it?

I'm waiting on a company to create a set of tail lights that takes advantage of the missing reverse light. Like one side actually has one reverse light and LOOKS like it. Ha. Preferably nice looking LED lamps too. With this i think it would make my car different and unique. Also, I don't know about any of you all, but anyone who told me about my missing light said "Don't fix it! It's different from all the other cars." And i agree with them. ha. And if your thinking "What about safety concerns?" Well i actually look behind me while backing up.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

what is desired may not and usually will not lead to reality unfortunately. its nice for them to throw out nice sounding and idealistic catch phrases like that, so i guess we'll see if the the actual car will live up to their desire.
I'm sure it won't, but I hope it does. In an effort to hit that $28k mark that has been rumored I'm sure a lot of corners will be cut and the final product isn't going to be anything like the concept cars I've seen.

More to the topic at hand: I've been to True Value, Home Depot, and Lowes - nobody has a 1-1/6" spade drill bit, not even in a bit set. I did find this one on Amazon.com for anyone interested:

Amazon Amazon

Edit to add: I know it isn't a spade, but it is the right dimensions. A lot of hardware store employees I talked to said that 1-1/16" is "very specific" and I would be better off buying a 1" bit and sanding the remainder out.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

use a step drill, it's easier.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Does anyone have a link to anyplace that sells the light/harness?

I've got the bit and the 10mm wrench, just not the actual light to install. ;)

Quick Reply: 2012 Scion tC with 2 Reverse Lights