2011-____ [ANT20]

2012 Scion tC with 2 Reverse Lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 02:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nolakpd504
Come on this is Toyota, one of the biggest companies out there. The cars go through a huge amount of safety tests including lights. You think they would have missed it?
Of course....

http://www.toyotalawsuitlawyer.com/
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10448199-64.html

This is what you call a big company trying to short change their product flaws and cover them under the carpet by blaming this on "driver error".

"Toyota has recalled approximately 8 million vehicles worldwide, including more than 2 million in the U.S., because of mechanical glitches with its accelerator pedals."

I think this takes away all credit Toyota has these days. I still love my Scion TC2 though
Old 08-11-2011, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

also some companies estimate the cost of a recall and being sued. whenever the cost of recall is too great they will just let people to sue em. toyota is heading towards become that kinda company. Since cutting costs increases the probability of an "error" then QA goes down unless they expand the ____ out of it which they obvi not gonna since they are cutting costs in the 1st place and as a result you have more cars out with diffects and since the company is huge - the recall would be very very expensive
Old 08-11-2011, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I didn't really mind the single reverse light.. although, I rarely have to reverse... and if I do I make sure there aren't people behind me that will run into me.
I did have a single LED bulb in there prior to installing the second and it lit up the rear just fine.
I put the second light in for equality and symmetry. I just think it looks better.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jayjayk89
I put the second light in for equality and symmetry. I just think it looks better.

^^that
Old 08-11-2011, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whether you like Toyota's business processes or not, it is still the standard by which companies compare. Business classes still talk about "The Toyota Process" when it comes to efficient manufacturing. Toyota made Lean & 6 Sigma practical. The gas pedal thing is BS and shows the stupidity of the human race. Toyota's cost cutting practices are still the best in the world and while I agree they have some quality issues to address, the pedal recall is not one of them.

Toyota had a huge recall because of a leaky gas line a couple years ago. The IS had a TSB for a shaky rearview mirror. I'd even say the Alpine HU defect was a quality control issue. The 1 reverse light was a decision Toyota made that didn't pan out. If half the 2011 tCs had come with 1 and half with 2, it'd be a quality issue. This was a poor decision, nothing else.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:47 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by oblivionlord
Of course....

http://www.toyotalawsuitlawyer.com/
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10448199-64.html

This is what you call a big company trying to short change their product flaws and cover them under the carpet by blaming this on "driver error".

"Toyota has recalled approximately 8 million vehicles worldwide, including more than 2 million in the U.S., because of mechanical glitches with its accelerator pedals."

I think this takes away all credit Toyota has these days. I still love my Scion TC2 though
The pedal thing was BS. Everyone know its. If you believe it, i feel sorry for you.

Check the numbers on Ford and GM recalled product numbers. They are much greater than Toyota.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.nhtsa.gov/PR/DOT-16-11

"In 2009 and 2010, Toyota recalled nearly eight million vehicles as part of the sticky pedal and pedal entrapment recalls. Toyota also paid $48.8 million in civil penalties as the result of NHTSA investigations into the timeliness of several safety recalls last year. Across the industry, automakers voluntarily initiated a record number of safety recalls in 2010."

Unless you consider 48.8mil in civil penalties to me nothing then clearly this was quite a big issue.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:20 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by oblivionlord
http://www.nhtsa.gov/PR/DOT-16-11

"In 2009 and 2010, Toyota recalled nearly eight million vehicles as part of the sticky pedal and pedal entrapment recalls. Toyota also paid $48.8 million in civil penalties as the result of NHTSA investigations into the timeliness of several safety recalls last year. Across the industry, automakers voluntarily initiated a record number of safety recalls in 2010."

Unless you consider 48.8mil in civil penalties to me nothing then clearly this was quite a big issue.
Lol.......
Old 08-13-2011, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1 hr @ $55 an hour for dealer labor, $5 for parts X 20,000 tC's that need anouther reverse light = $1,200,000 for a US recall.

This would not hurt them much at all. Also consider that there are a great lot of us who have already done it, or are not going to do it anyway. I bet they could do all the US cars for less than a Million. That would be less than what 1 person would sue them for should they get rear ended while in reverse.

Do I think it is a saftey issue? Not really, but a good lawyer could make it sound like it is.
If I called the shots at Toyota, I would do a recall on at least the sue happy USA market.......
Old 08-13-2011, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ oh yeah... Some attorneys will eat this up in sue happy USA for sure!

Toyota just need to bite the bullet and do the recall. It will be cheaper that way.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I would intentionally not have this done, I like my 1 reverse light.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WellesleyScion
I would intentionally not have this done, I like my 1 reverse light.

for a 2012 owner, they can "mod" it to look like a 2011 simply by taking out the lightbulb. for a 2011 to mod into a 2012? not so easy.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I for one don't mind having one reverse light. ALthough IMO they should have made it a he'll of alot brighter so it's more noticeable. I think it would be cool to put a xenon light ballast and all in there it's over kill but you get the point.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^The ballast takes like 20 seconds or so to warm up for the light to be fully bright, that's overboard for a reverse lamp. But it sure would be bright.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^I wonder what the difference is or if there is a difference between the 35w & 55w warm up/ start up time for the ballast? I have a 55w ballast it doesn't take that long to warm up. Plus what's an extra 20 seconds to my travel time people are always rushing these days. Take the time to smell the roses people. J/k lol all joking aside I just think it would be cool and everyone could than stop worrying about having one reverse light.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok i just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. First I didnt get behind the car and ask them to put it in reverse before I bought It. I got home and a friend said wow you have a reverse light out. Second I like the one reverse light like they did it on the XB one lens one light I thought that was a cool design. If they had done that on the tC2 I would have been happy with it but they didnt they put in two lenses and only one light Seems kinda cheap. But anyway Everyone said that they would not fix the radio issue because you could just put it in a different mode and that would solve the problem but they stood up and decided to issue a fix and I would say that a new head unit is a lot more than a new reverse light......
Old 09-02-2011, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just a thought, but why not mention to Toyota that you would be willing to pay for the fix if they coul produce plug and play parts to have the issue taken care of instead of drilling and splicing wires. I would much rather just bite the bullet and buy the new housing so i wouldn't have to drill a hole and end up causing more problems than before. I know how to hook up lights but the last thing I want to do is rig up a simple fix for now and have more headaches in the future. when I talk to Toyota about this idea, if they dont buy it i will make a plug and play kit myself and give my idea out to anyone that is interrested. I dont care how much it costs me to get what I want, but expecting to get it done for free is not going to happen. Just remember that there is NEVER a free lunch no matter how you look at it
Old 09-02-2011, 03:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is a good idea, but the housing from a 2012 is over $200.

Not many folks (ok maybe a few ballers) would roll out that money just to correct a design decision that Toyota/Scion decided to "fix" in the 2012 models.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scratch
That is a good idea, but the housing from a 2012 is over $200.

Not many folks (ok maybe a few ballers) would roll out that money just to correct a design decision that Toyota/Scion decided to "fix" in the 2012 models.
I completely agree with you on the fact that it will be very expensive but in the long run that $200 dollars will ensure no future potential problems with the housing itself, and the benefit of 2 reverse lights in long run will out weigh the cost. i think it would be cool if we could even get a discount on buying the housing as a one time offer since it was not an option for our model yr. even if it was only a 10% discount it would be $20 less to spend for having the issue fixed the right way the first time. it is very unfortunate that this is the 3rd toyota product ive owned and that the overall fit and finish and customer service is going down the tubes. customer service and quality are the reasons i have been a loyal customer to Toyota and Im not looking for them to fix it for me on their dime, but I want them to realize that they already have half of the solution (tail light housing) all they need to do is develop a simple plug and play warrantied way to get the bulb into that housing that they would be able to sell to us for a reasonable price to make us consumers happy so we keep coming back for more instead of leaving us in the dark and saying there is nothing we can do to help you sorry for buying our mistake. its pathetic how the mega giant has gotten so full of themselve that dollar signs mean more to them than the consumers that bring them those dollar signs to count. I will be sure to address my idea when I get my car serviced soon. and if i have to design the product for myself and all of you so be it and I wont try and sell it either because we should not even have this issue to deal with in the first place, and Im getting tired of not being able to see whats on the passenger side when im backing up at night. Im no a woman so i use all of my mirrors. that is just a joke and not intended to offend anyone, and if you are offended then you probably dont use the passenger side mirror anyway
Old 09-02-2011, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

seriously people.. i dont know what the the deal is about our 1 reverse light. and now wanting to sue toyota? you knew our cars only had one light when you bought it. its not a defectice product because there wasnt one previously there. it was designed that way. and some are mad that the 2012 gets 2? thats called change. its happens to every single new car every year. hell while your at it. go ahead and sue them for the 2012 radio with bluetooth in it. that changed too. my advice. if you want one go buy one. there not very expensive. but me i like mine. its unique

Quick Reply: 2012 Scion tC with 2 Reverse Lights