Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

2012 Scion tC with 2 Reverse Lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^
Who wants to sue Toyota? I'm all about paying to have this fixed and I never said its "defective". I dont see why people are at each others throats. if you like your 1 reverse light thats fine. We get it. but I dont like having just one because i live out in the sticks where i am constantly backing out of long driveways with trees and rocks on both sides. If Toyota came out with an adaptor i would purchase it solely for the convenience thats it. I bought what I bought and I am fully aware of it. demanding them to pay for what you would like will never work, but asking them to produce something to fix the "problem" (notice the quotations) so they wont loose money on the customers "problem" might have a better outcome. Besides what could it possibly hurt

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-22-2017 at 05:35 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have read in one of the 10 threads that talks about this reverse light. That people want to sue because they nearly/did/could cause a wreck because there aren't 2 reverse lights. You yourself may have not said it was defective but others have. I'm just saying if nobody likes there one light then get it fixed. And like you mentioned if Toyota made an adapter piece to make install easy. That would be great. I woul probably buy one if it was cheap and an easy install. But asking for a recall/sueing Toyota because we dont have 2 reverse lights and the 2012 does. Is a little ridiculous.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jtk2
I have read in one of the 10 threads that talks about this reverse light. That people want to sue because they nearly/did/could cause a wreck because there aren't 2 reverse lights. You yourself may have not said it was defective but others have. I'm just saying if nobody likes there one light then get it fixed. And like you mentioned if Toyota made an adapter piece to make install easy. That would be great. I woul probably buy one if it was cheap and an easy install. But asking for a recall/sueing Toyota because we dont have 2 reverse lights and the 2012 does. Is a little ridiculous.
Oh right on. sorry i wasnt trying to call you out specifically but i was just curious who would want to sue. and i was just putting my disclaimers up so i wouldnt get into a heated argument like this topic always seems to lol
Old 09-03-2011, 03:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

2012 TC
Attached Thumbnails 2012 Scion tC with 2 Reverse Lights-white-reverse-lights.jpg  
Old 09-03-2011, 06:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whats that Toshio you trying to rub it in?????
Old 09-03-2011, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

No lol

I thought someone had asked for a picture of it... but I may have confused this with another thread. =X
Old 09-03-2011, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Toshio
No lol

I thought someone had asked for a picture of it... but I may have confused this with another thread. =X
Lmfao!
Old 09-03-2011, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

This thread is still alive??

I can feel my fingers moving toward the "Close Thread" button...
Old 09-03-2011, 11:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Feel free to delete the damn thread, this place is turning into the tC1 forum.

Offer one differing opinion and everyone puts on their skirts and gets out the Scion cheerleader outfits.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

THEY TOOK OUR JOBS! Ok close it up....lol
Old 09-05-2011, 05:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WellesleyScion
This thread is still alive??

I can feel my fingers moving toward the "Close Thread" button...
This needs to stay open and needs to be talked about. The moment there are differing opinions people get antsy and want to silence them. its called a discussion, no one is calling others names and it is still an existing problem, so i see no reason it should be closed. Closing this thread just means your doing Toyota a favor by eliminating bad PR.

There are several problems right now, let me summarize.

1. A car that looks like it should have TWO reverse lights, ONLY has ONE.

2. Any attempt to make make a car that LOOKS like it has TWO reverse lights have TWO reverse lights will VOID the warranty.

3. Buying a 2012 housing will cost 200 dollars and

4. if you already modded the passenger side housing, you just VOIDED the warranty for that housing and lost 200 dollars worth of warranty protection

5. there is NO official way of fixing this. Toyota won't release a kit for customers to BUY to fix this issue. Toyota has done NOTHING for the 2011 owners who are willing to pay for this 2nd reverse light. even if you BUY a 200 DOLLAR housing, it won't allow you to have a functioning reverse light, just a factory made hole where the reverse light should be.

and side point 6. Yes i said fix because back to point 1. The car looks like it SHOULD have 2 lights but DOESN'T

Point 1. is very important and is the reason why no one is complaining about the bluetooth and new sound system, but is complaining about this.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:02 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

7. you can just deal with it an accept the 2011 tC2 for what it is

8. if ur really want a 2nd reverse light and dont want to void the warranty and not pay $200...order the reverse light kit now...then WAIT until the warranty is over before installing it

side note on 1...should look vs should not look.....how would a radio look like it should have a bluetooth anyways? for comparison's sake..
Old 09-05-2011, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by XerotC
This needs to stay open and needs to be talked about. The moment there are differing opinions people get antsy and want to silence them. its called a discussion, no one is calling others names and it is still an existing problem, so i see no reason it should be closed. Closing this thread just means your doing Toyota a favor by eliminating bad PR.

Well, you see its not a problem, its a design choice. Therefor the rest of your post is void.

If you really want a second reverse light, then just add one. If your too scared to void your warranty, then dont add one, and deal with what you have.

I want the tC to be rear wheel drive, should I complain that the FR-S will be coming out soon, so Toyota should rectify the tC's "problem" of being front wheel drive by making a conversion kit?
-Sounds crazy when I put it like that doesnt it? well its the same thing your saying. You bought a car that had a design decision made on it, you dont like the decision, so you want the manufacturer to give you something for free/new, because the next model has a different design decision made on it...

I have not locked this thread because no one has broken any rules in it. But that doesnt mean the thread isnt ludicris...
Old 09-05-2011, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Would be interesting to see how many tC owners thought they bought a car with 2 reverse lights and ended up being surprised when someone else told them that one of their lights were out..

*raises hand*

Maybe it was my own fault for not putting the car into reverse with the hand brakes up and walking out behind it to see if both lights were working. Everyone does that when they buy a new car right?!

Now I'm not complaining. I realized it was a design choice by Toyota, I even contacted my dealer who basically said it was a "Euro design" and a choice that Toyota made.

I kinda hated it at first since I was kept getting told by all my neighbors and friends that I my light was blown. But now it's grown out and everyone I know excepts that I have a 1 reverse light car... Deal with it!

I'm hoping that deep down someone at Toyota will realize that North American owners want 2 reverse lights and will offer some dealer installed fix for the 2011's.
But realistically I don't see this happening since it would be too expensive for Toyota ($200 for a housing?!?) and far less cheaper for the owner to just drill their own hole and run the cables ($20)
Old 09-05-2011, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WellesleyScion

Well, you see its not a problem, its a design choice. Therefor the rest of your post is void.
If you really want a second reverse light, then just add one. If your too scared to void your warranty, then dont add one, and deal with what you have.
I want the tC to be rear wheel drive, should I complain that the FR-S will be coming out soon, so Toyota should rectify the tC's "problem" of being front wheel drive by making a conversion kit?
-Sounds crazy when I put it like that doesn't it? well its the same thing your saying. You bought a car that had a design decision made on it, you dont like the decision, so you want the manufacturer to give you something for free/new,
because the next model has a different design decision made on it...I have not locked this thread because no one has broken any rules in it. But that doesn't mean the thread isn't ludicrous...
No, whats crazy about your example is your comparing two different models. I'm comparing two years of the same car. Toyota has yet to show us they can make a tC with rear wheel drive without redesigning the entire car, but they have shown they make a tC,
of the same generation, with 2 reverse lights. I won't go into how ridiculous your example is, nor how ridiculous, i know, i'm getting so worked up over one stupid light. that's why I'm so mad, something so SMALL shouldn't be a big deal, but it is.

what is ludicrous is having a car that looks like it has 1 light out all the time. I'll admit whats also LUDICROUS would be to add a second reverse light to an xB. but again, comparing two different cars would be a fallacy. I'm only talking about the tC and ONLY the tC2.
I'll argue that that to the ends of the earth because the car looks like it was designed with 2 taillights PLUS there are tC2s shown with 2 tail lights from the manufacture. its not like some xB2s have 1 reverse light and other have 2.

I am not looking for anything free, and would settle for a conversion kit that would not void my warranty. but like someone already admitted, if there was a way for us to put in the second reverse light, even if it costs us money that would not void the warranty,
I would go that route. but to add insult to injury, right now there is no way for us to add a reverse light, that the 2012 proves is possible, without surrendering our warranty.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-22-2017 at 06:08 AM.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can't we all just get along???

Name:  kumbaya-smiley.gif
Views: 29
Size:  44.7 KB
Old 09-15-2011, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It takes two to tango, MightyP.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hopefully no one flames me for saying anything like some of the other posts...
But, anyways, I had the first 2011 Scion tC in the Central Florida area (quite possibly more parts of Fl.), and it was only less than a week before some one noticed I only had 1 reverse light. When I brought it to the dealer, they were actually quite puzzled at the fact there was only one.
It's not that bad with just the one. If you really want a second one, you can just buy the new set up or put a new light in with it wired to the other. Even if it does void the warranty, there are a lot of other mods done to our cars that we've done that voids it anyways.
If you really want to not void the warranty, then I guess you'll have to wait until the warranty expires. I highly doubt that Toyota will install a second one in there for the 2011 models. They obviously knew it was only going to have one, and they somehow thought it would be fine. There's really nothing in any DOT stature, to my knowledge anyways, that says there has to be two reverse lights. It passed all the requirements for safety, else it wouldn't have been able to be released in the U.S. It's really just going to be a cosmetic thing to have one in the second spot to make it look even with the other side.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Now we just have to find out how to port the window assembly so u guys can have all auto windows both sides. Which is another huge step back from the last gen...
Old 09-16-2011, 01:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ryan5x
Hopefully no one flames me for saying anything like some of the other posts...
No one is going to flame you for your opinion. That is yours and you are totally welcome to it. Only reason this thread was created was for people who are not pleased about this design change from 1 light to 2 lights to be able to call Scion (phone # listed on post #1) and voice their opinion.

Quick Reply: 2012 Scion tC with 2 Reverse Lights