Notices
Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 01:58 AM

If anyone has the white halos on the low beams can you tell me if the color is a pure natural white or does it have a blueish tint to it in real life
Old 12-07-2012, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by interesting
If anyone has the white halos on the low beams can you tell me if the color is a pure natural white or does it have a blueish tint to it in real life

It's pure white, like 5k HID.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'd love to get these but idk how i feel about me having to remove the lenses lol, affraid moisture would just get locked in
Old 12-08-2012, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tons of these kids have been installed and not 1 has reported any issues with moisture. I personally have been running this kit on my car for 3 months and haven't had an issue!

There video on their website under their "Videos" tab explains step by step how to install and ensure there is no moisture problems!
Old 12-15-2012, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by ProjectTC2
Stankyrice - yes Ofcorse you can purchase a Japanese universal kit online, but it will not fit exactly on the TC2 low beam ring. These are American made and were cast to exactly fit the TC2 low beam rings. They have a very exact diameter, I believe it's 93.1mm. You could try a universal Japanese kit and try to get it to work, but I definitely wouldn't reccomend it! It will not fit flush and may not run well or be bright.
Morimoto products are not Japanese. They are designed in Atlanta, Georgia (The Retrofit Source's location) and once the specs are final, mass production is handed to their partner in China. Only the name is Japanese.

I've bought halos and HID projectors from them and I will recommend them. Their customer service and warranty are excellent.

For the low beams, you'll need 90mm CCFLs (white only, $30/pair) or LEDs (brighter, lasts longer. white or yellow, $61/pair). This size fits exactly on top of the low beam shrouds.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/index.php?cPath=31

Here's my 70mm (on Morimoto Mini H1) and 90mm (on stock low beams) yellow LEDs on a rainy night:

https://i.imgur.com/ic9ga.jpg
Old 12-15-2012, 11:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the tip kpablo, options are great!

But not everyone likes Surface Mount LED Halo's. Most people don't like them because you can see every little led on the ring and it makes them look cheap, compared to Factory looking CCFL Halo's!

And just to be clear, the Low Beam lens is not 90mm, it's slightly larger. 90mm may fit, but it will be forced and will not be a direct fit like Xtec's are.

But awesome job on the High Beam retrofit! The 70mm Surface Mount Halo's from that website obviously won't fit the stock high beam shroud in the factory headlights, but you did an awesome job with the HID Projector retrofit!
Old 12-15-2012, 07:14 PM

But not everyone likes Surface Mount LED Halo's. Most people don't like them because you can see every little led on the ring and it makes them look cheap, compared to Factory looking CCFL Halo's!
It's a very subjective topic, who likes which.

Just for clarification, with the Morimoto LED rings, the individual bulbs are smaller and packed tighter/more dense, you won't even see each one unless you look real close. It's very different from those cheap, e-Bay halo rings where you can see each bulb from a distance. Also, you can have a full circle, unlike CCFLs where there is a gap.

CCFLs on the other hand, provides a solid, OEM-like curve of light for a cheaper cost. But it needs a converter to work, and the glass tube is very fragile even when inside a diffuser. And you'll have that inevitable gap.

CCFLs = cheaper, OEM-look
LEDs = sturdier, brighter, more compact

Pick your poison.

And just to be clear, the Low Beam lens is not 90mm, it's slightly larger. 90mm may fit, but it will be forced and will not be a direct fit like Xtec's are.
No, the Morimoto rings are measured from the outside. 90mm fits very well for the low beams, not forced at all.

But awesome job on the High Beam retrofit! The 70mm Surface Mount Halo's from that website obviously won't fit the stock high beam shroud in the factory headlights, but you did an awesome job with the HID Projector retrofit!
Thanks! I did mention in my previous post that the 70mm will fit on the Morimoto Mini H1 projectors, not on the stock ones.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lights look awesome! Can you post some more pics of them please

Originally Posted by kpablo1337
Morimoto products are not Japanese. They are designed in Atlanta, Georgia (The Retrofit Source's location) and once the specs are final, mass production is handed to their partner in China. Only the name is Japanese.

I've bought halos and HID projectors from them and I will recommend them. Their customer service and warranty are excellent.

For the low beams, you'll need 90mm CCFLs (white only, $30/pair) or LEDs (brighter, lasts longer. white or yellow, $61/pair). This size fits exactly on top of the low beam shrouds.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/index.php?cPath=31

Here's my 70mm (on Morimoto Mini H1) and 90mm (on stock low beams) yellow LEDs on a rainy night:

https://i.imgur.com/ic9ga.jpg
Old 12-19-2012, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by scottobahn
Lights look awesome! Can you post some more pics of them please
Sure. Forgive my burnt-out Scion logo (long story):

If the outer halos look dimmer, that's because they are version 1's. The inner halos are v2, which is a bit thicker/brighter. I will soon replace the outer ones with v2 when I get my spare headlights.

The small gaps in the inner halos are actually wire ties. I dislike the glue method.

Last edited by kpablo1337; 12-19-2012 at 04:42 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Those look sick I'm nervous to do it because of moisture and noones had them long enough to see long term I it will make the headlights get moisture inside
Old 12-19-2012, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by o TaGGeD o
Those look sick I'm nervous to do it because of moisture and noones had them long enough to see long term I it will make the headlights get moisture inside
Yeah, I got TONS of complements for these.

No moisture problem if you'll bake your lights just once to install these. If you have to bake them 3-4 times then you do need to add some sealant (can be bought from TRS for $15/huge roll: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=792)

Otherwise, just make sure to clamp them real tight while the sealant is still soft.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sure. Forgive my burnt-out Scion logo (long story):

If the outer halos look dimmer, that's because they are version 1's. The inner halos are v2, which is a bit thicker/brighter. I will soon replace the outer ones with v2 when I get my spare headlights.

The small gaps in the inner halos are actually wire ties. I dislike the glue method.
Dude your car is epicly sexy with those halos ... Was it hard installing those minis ? Did it replace your stock high beam or just go over top ?
Old 12-23-2012, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by darwintheory
Dude your car is epicly sexy with those halos ... Was it hard installing those minis ? Did it replace your stock high beam or just go over top ?
Thanks! The hard part is baking open your headlights and dremeling out some plastic bulb holders behind it. My low/highs are now coming from the inner bulbs (the mini H1s), the outer bulbs have LEDs just for fake lighting.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks! The hard part is baking open your headlights and dremeling out some plastic bulb holders behind it. My low/highs are now coming from the inner bulbs (the mini H1s), the outer bulbs have LEDs just for fake lighting.
Got any pics with the high & low on ?
& what are the pros & cons if having both on one bulb ?

Last edited by darwintheory; 12-26-2012 at 03:09 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:50 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Has anybody installed these and also have 55w HIDs?

Im running 35w currently and im planning to go 55w to get better lighting.
Will the heat melt the halos or the adhesive from the 55w HIDs?
Old 01-03-2013, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm running 55w hid, no problems with the halos at all. I've had them on for at least 2 months now.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scottobahn
I'm running 55w hid, no problems with the halos at all. I've had them on for at least 2 months now.
Have you ever had 35w before going 55w?

I am planning to go 55w if it does not interfere with the halos and a lot brighter.
Im having trouble seeing occasionally with 35w 5ks
Old 01-03-2013, 05:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nope...I started with 55w 6k. I switched to 55w 5k for a bit, def brighter but I liked the little touch of blue from the 6k so I switched back. If you really want to get bright upgrade your projector with a retro kit and clear lens. Unfortunately they don't make a lens replacement for ours. Check out TRS, they are awesome!

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/index.php

Originally Posted by kenguyen
Have you ever had 35w before going 55w?

I am planning to go 55w if it does not interfere with the halos and a lot brighter.
Im having trouble seeing occasionally with 35w 5ks
Old 01-03-2013, 05:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is there a way to go brighter from 35w 5k without retrofitting?
Old 01-03-2013, 05:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah just upgrade to 55w you don't really need a harness either just plug and play. I've been running the 55w slim kit from ddm tuning for a year and a half now, not a single problem!

Originally Posted by kenguyen
Is there a way to go brighter from 35w 5k without retrofitting?