Accessories and Pure Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Accessories and Pure Pricing

Hi folks,

I've decided it prudent not to push on the car's price itself, but would like to be cut a little slack on the accessories. I'm actually interested in getting many of them, but only if I can get a good value. To me, that means at least 10% off list on all accessories I choose, preferably 15% to 20%. How much leeway do I have to do this? I've read opinions that Pure Pricing does not apply to accessories that aren't on the car's listed price in the lot, so any accessories I add wouldn't be subject to pure pricing. Then, I've read potentially self-interested posts by dealers in this forum that contradicts that, so I don't know what to believe.

If they won't work with me on accessories, what if I bought all the accessories at trdsparks.com, for example, and then had the dealership install them, or if they were too bitter to do that, are there other qualified individuals out there probably who wouldn't mind installing, for example, the VIP Security System, etc.? And is that a good idea, or do I seriously expose myself to liability of some type in doing that?

I would prefer to do this all through my dealer -- I want to reward them and make them some money, but only if I feel like I'm getting a cut of the profit margin they make on accessories & labor.

Thank you folks,

-John
Old 06-22-2011, 06:16 PM

Dealers are free to set their own prices but these prices must be posted on the menu. They must follow thier posted/advertised price menu. Most of the time this reflects the Scion.com prices. As an owner and a dealer i get a unique perspective. I do install some of my own parts to save money... If built into your purchase, then they must follow the menu if they care about keeping thier audits clean. Over or undercharging can cause a "Strike" which can have consequences that can be harsh... losing some of their allocation of cars as an example.

If you know someone that can do the install, then save yourself some money. If you want to finance it in with the car then pay the menu price... Hope this helps!

p.s. I financed in the lip kit, nav, and springs as parts only / no install! :D
Old 06-22-2011, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you get the accessories when you buy the car, the dealer should charge you the price listed on Scion's website and if you're getting the accessories for that price, you're doing very well. A lot of times you're getting the install free or at a seriously reduced price.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:56 PM

When I bought my car the only thing the dealer would do is keep adding money on my trade, even for the not-required-by-law fees. I was told if one car gets sold that way, every car has to be, even the fees..
Old 06-22-2011, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you can get just about all the accessories for a great price, plus shipping and handling from www.trdsparks.com. but what is posted before is true, the dealership can discount prices on accessories or throw them in whatever, and in many cases, when they're purchased with the car new, they throw in installation for free, but that is all up to the dealer.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My dealer said part of scion's business model doesn't allow them to fan-angle the numbers like on a regular toyota in that way. The price is the price they said
Old 06-23-2011, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have found out definitively that they can negotiate on accessories, so long as they weren't already included in the car from the factory, and so long as the accessories are added after you have bought the car. They can't work it into the official initial transaction/loan. My tC came with floor mats, $170. Can't tweak that price according to Toyota policy, since it's on the car's price, adhered to the window. Shipped from Japan that way. Pure pricing.

Accessories that you add after you have bought the car though, you're free, according to Toyota policy, to negotiate with the dealer. Toyota does not bind their hands.

What this meant for me is I will be paying for the accessories out of pocket, not on the loan. I'll let a week or two pass and then come in with my accessories list, and I've been assured by my dealer that the more I get, the steeper the % discount will be.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:55 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

^^^which dealership is doing this for you?
Old 06-23-2011, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi WellesleyScion,

With all due respect to the value you bring to this forum and esteem in which others hold you, and while I don't mean any disrespect to you, I think revealing their identity to you would be a bad idea, given your clear position and self-interest in this issue. I'm very thankful that they had a Scion tC in the hard-to-acquire color I wanted, and were willing to help me make them some money instead of ordering everything off of trdsparks.com. The price I will end up paying them for accessories will be nearer their list prices than trdsparks, et al. Initially they thought like you did on pure pricing applicability to accessories but when they read their covenant and talked with folks outside of the dealership in a position of authority, they realized there was a perfectly legitimate way out, but it's not for everybody since the accessories then can't be financed on loan.

They don't deserve any trouble.

-John