Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

Can it Carry a Kayak?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 04:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Can it Carry a Kayak?

I want to put some racks up on my tC2 to be able to carry a 10foot kayak. Do you guys think this can be done w/o cracking the glass roof? In other words, can this car, with a whole glass roof support a kayak, while driving around on the highway for example?

If it is possible, I'd appreciate any recommendations on which roof rack I could get for my car. It is a 2012 tC2.
I am sure some roof racks are of higher quality than others, right?

Thank you for any help!
Old 04-13-2015, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Newman
I want to put some racks up on my tC2 to be able to carry a 10foot kayak. Do you guys think this can be done w/o cracking the glass roof? In other words, can this car, with a whole glass roof support a kayak, while driving around on the highway for example?

If it is possible, I'd appreciate any recommendations on which roof rack I could get for my car. It is a 2012 tC2.
I am sure some roof racks are of higher quality than others, right?

Thank you for any help!

Good luck! I get creaking when I would put my 11' surfboard on there with foam racks. It moved so much, I only did it about 3 times for fear of cracking the roof. I bet a real rack like a yakima or another manufacturer that didn't rest the item on the roof directly would work though.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the recommendation, i'll check out yakima to see what they have.

I want to avoid stuffing the kayak inside my car...not only because it can potentially dirty the interior but also because it would restrict me to a smaller sub 9foot kayak
Old 04-15-2015, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yup, I have the Yakima system and you'll be solid. It's pricey, but if you use it, definitely worth your money. And you can use it for anything. Tossed a 9' Christmas tree on it and it worked wonderfully lol.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Awesome, sounds like i have to get it! Thanks a bunch guys.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Newman, what the f.ck dude, where have you been!? You disappear for months and then out of no where you ask about a kayak? You're crazy bro!

You ever figure out that downshift rev match? Hhahaha
Old 04-16-2015, 02:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by criminaltc
Newman, what the f.ck dude, where have you been!? You disappear for months and then out of no where you ask about a kayak? You're crazy bro!

You ever figure out that downshift rev match? Hhahaha
Hey, I've been checking on the forum from time to time.
I am saving up money for a project car (going to be an older mustang), so my tC isn't really getting any more upgrades. I like it the way it is.
Reason for the kayak is because i fish a lot and recently have been wanting to get out there with a kayak. It is the closest thing to getting a boat, but it is much more hassle free!

I do rev mach my downshifts now, yes. It took a long time to get it right, and i still haven't really discovered how to heel and toe downshift without missing the gas pedal (since the brake is so high up in comparison).
And no, I have not done the rev matching downshifts w/o a clutch. I do not think there is any point to messing up my gears just trying to learn it
Old 04-16-2015, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hahah, exactly! No, there is no reason with a stock tC2 to attempt no-clutch rev matching. And yeah, boats are a hassle. Kayaks are the sh.t. Glad to see you around again. Join in a little more going forward! We miss you!
Old 06-11-2015, 02:39 PM

biglilsteve
Do you use yours for a kayak? Yakima is the only manufacturer that makes a system for them, but they "don't recommend" using it for kayaks because of the space between the bars.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am pulling motorcycles and youre hoarding kayaks. Seems to be a legit car. If you do end up yakima/kayak. Make sure to post pictures. I am interested ot see what it would look like. Thanks