Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

Canadian tC Project - Autox Videos! 10-17-11

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Love the videos! Keep em coming. Much inspiration for my new Tc.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bad news gents...sways are delayed until next Thursday (Aug. 11th) do to work overload and vacations. TRD guy is on vacation and shop is busy with a build.

I'll post up as soon as it starts though!
Old 08-03-2011, 12:32 AM
Banned
SL Member

That’s strange…I just got news that my TRD sway bar set got shipped to me today…I’ll be able to install mine this weekend!
Old 08-03-2011, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What nooooooooo lmao!
Old 08-03-2011, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2tCornot2tC
That’s strange…I just got news that my TRD sway bar set got shipped to me today…I’ll be able to install mine this weekend!
Not strange, just a busy shop.

I have a new car arriving next week and my current one is going to a new home. The parts will be carried over from one car to the other for continued testing.

Unfortunately this means that the sway bars downstairs will have to wait to be installed.

Also remember that I'm from Canada. We do not develop TRD parts but we do test them in our climate and under a slightly different criteria. Being that these parts are developed in the USA, the US markets are more likely to begin retail of the product before Canada receives its first test products.

Not always is this the case, but testing comes down to more than just install for us.

Again, I'll have a full review of the parts and actual track testing after install. Sorry for the delay!
Old 08-03-2011, 07:52 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 1stOne
Not strange, just a busy shop.

I have a new car arriving next week and my current one is going to a new home. The parts will be carried over from one car to the other for continued testing.

Unfortunately this means that the sway bars downstairs will have to wait to be installed.

Also remember that I'm from Canada. We do not develop TRD parts but we do test them in our climate and under a slightly different criteria. Being that these parts are developed in the USA, the US markets are more likely to begin retail of the product before Canada receives its first test products.

Not always is this the case, but testing comes down to more than just install for us.

Again, I'll have a full review of the parts and actual track testing after install. Sorry for the delay!

that's why i moved to the US from Russia lol, we get ____ for testing there
Old 08-08-2011, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, just wanted to take a second to say that the car is now unfortunately stock again...its depressing! Never really appreciated what the mods did for the car until I returned it to stock! The difference in braking now is HUGE. And its quiet once again! Also, all my mid-range acceleration is gone! BOOOOO.

LOL.

But, good news is all the parts are piled up in my back seat/trunk ready for the new car to arrive this week.

As always, stay tuned! I'll have the sways on asap (although they have already been lightly reviewed) and after that, I'll start hunting some local tracks to get a proper review in!
Old 08-08-2011, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can't wait to see your... Second tC2 build? Lol
Btw, what color is the new car?
Old 08-08-2011, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Perhaps your name should now be "2ndOne"...
Old 08-08-2011, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 1stOne
Also, all my mid-range acceleration is gone! BOOOOO.
orly?

What do you think gave you that added mid-range? Very curious since we've not yet been able to have the 'average joe' get some breathing mods and dyno the car... so just deadly curious to know if those mods will show any benefit on this platform... (and so I can just jump full on into making the car stupid loud)
Old 08-08-2011, 09:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ I was very close to buying an exhaust this weekend. Alas, the "boss" said no.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by durp
Can't wait to see your... Second tC2 build? Lol
Btw, what color is the new car?
LOL. Its less a build and more just a "get everything on it now" project. I want it ready for lapping asap, so its going under the knife this week.

Colour...cement.

Originally Posted by MightyP
Perhaps your name should now be "2ndOne"...
Ya probably. But 1stOne has a better ring to it ;).

Originally Posted by Scratch
orly?

What do you think gave you that added mid-range? Very curious since we've not yet been able to have the 'average joe' get some breathing mods and dyno the car... so just deadly curious to know if those mods will show any benefit on this platform... (and so I can just jump full on into making the car stupid loud)
I want to say exhaust. The powerband felt a lot smoother when I installed it in the first place, but now with it off, I really notice the bottle neck. Not saying it made any power installing it, but it really smoothed out acceleration and dropped the lag.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, it's been a little while since I've had something to update, and low and behold, I forgot my camera! SO, you get a written update and photos to come.

This week has been nuts....

Monday: Made final arrangements for my new tC.
Tuesday: Picked it up from the dealer and spent a few hours swapping parts back and forth between the old and the new tC.
Wednesday: Went BACK to the dealer to sign over my old white tC to the new excited owner.
Thursday: TRD Lowering Springs and Sway Bars installed...car has 150kms on it to date.

Ok, now what you've all been waiting for (and unfortunately I'm a little late to the game this time)...the sway bar review!

Two words: F*&#$%@ EPIC!

As far as handling goes, this is THE mod to have! The car is extremely flat now in turns. Just enough lean that it can load the tires, which is ideal considering the low camber specs from factory on this car up front. But that's not all, the bars also have adjustability upfront. Three different settings allow you to basically position the amount of understeer in the car to precisely balance with the increased stiffness in the rear. The ease of access also means that at track events, this is something I can easily change by simply removing my front wheel and moving the endlink. Perfect!

One tip to those looking to do the install themselves, you can cut hours out of the install time by removing the drivers side lower control arm and snaking the front factory sway bar out the side of the car. Now, if this statement was at all confusing, its probably best to not attempt the install of these! Install was pretty simple though. A lot easier than any of us expected them to be.

I'll have some photos up either tonight or early this weekend of both the car and the bars. Hoping to get some track time in the next few weeks, but I will be forced to miss this weekend's event because of an unfortunate nail in one of my track tires.

So, in short, if your looking to do some lapping and your finding the car loads too much, this is the mod for you. While I haven't had it out for autocross yet, the fact that it is really flat when flung into a corner portrays the idea that these bars will keep the weight of the car from slapping around during abrupt manoeuvres.

Stay tuned for photos and perhaps a video coming soon!
Old 08-12-2011, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

$!!$ this just makes me want it more. Forget tracking the car, just being able to take some of my exit ramps harder...I'm already loading the tires (stock everything) a bit to much
Old 08-12-2011, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The bushings included with the TRD sway bars probably make 50% of the improvement. I was disgusted at how mushy the stockers are. I am going to find some that fit this week. Congrats on the new ride 2ndOne, can't wait for the pics. You mind giving me/us the bushing dimensions while you have a set laying around?
Old 08-12-2011, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Blackedout011TC
The bushings included with the TRD sway bars probably make 50% of the improvement. I was disgusted at how mushy the stockers are. I am going to find some that fit this week. Congrats on the new ride 2ndOne, can't wait for the pics. You mind giving me/us the bushing dimensions while you have a set laying around?
I bet they contribute yes, but the bars are definitely the major player here.

Unfortunately the bushing dimensions wont help you, even for stock, as the front bushings are a strange design and not your off-the-shelf Energy Suspension bushing or anything. Actually, the front bushing is the whole reason why the sway bars from TRD are one of the last parts to launch for the vehicle. These little guys delayed things forever!

Happy to provide photos if you like, but I know you wont find them for the car just yet. Sorry!
Old 08-14-2011, 01:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cement eh?
That's a good choice I might say. I'm looking forward to see how it does on auto x. And if you don't mind, a video would be cool in the future.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any updates?
Old 08-26-2011, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Been so busy at work I haven't had a chance to do anything more than drive to and from work unfortunately.

I have an event on Sunday. Hoping for good results! Video and photos coming soon!
Old 08-27-2011, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looking forward to the update, especially pics.

Quick Reply: Canadian tC Project - Autox Videos! 10-17-11