Notices
Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

Does this car have a "fun to drive" factor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I finally drove a 2012 manual today...honest opinion? The clutch is for women, the steering is for women, and the shifter is not nearly as tight or precise as my current ride('03 RSX-S).

The last time I used a clutch as light as the Scion's, was an Opel Vectra rental car in Holland. A sporty car shouldn't have a clutch so light in feel, it lacks precision and is basically idiot-proof.

If the clutch offered some resistance it would be IMO easier to shift than it is now.

The steering being too light also lacks any sporty feel. You can turn it with your pinky, which is not what you want at 100+ mph, or any speed other than parking lot speeds, again, IMO.

Besides those small complaints, I did like the ride/drive. Hopefully they will add some sportiness to the 2013. As it is now, I'm not sure I can part with my RSX.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I almost dident buy mine cause I felt the same way, except I don't agree with you on the steering. For me, it came down to looks and functionality Vs. Sports. I had to make the grown up choice and go with more cargo space and less cost of ownership. But I haven't saved a dime cause im too busy spending money on mods ; )

The TWM shifter REALLY improves the feel and fun factor for shifting. As far as the clutch goes, not much you can do besides throw a stage 2 in it.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by fistpoint
I finally drove a 2012 manual today...honest opinion? The clutch is for women, the steering is for women, and the shifter is not nearly as tight or precise as my current ride('03 RSX-S).

The last time I used a clutch as light as the Scion's, was an Opel Vectra rental car in Holland. A sporty car shouldn't have a clutch so light in feel, it lacks precision and is basically idiot-proof.

If the clutch offered some resistance it would be IMO easier to shift than it is now.

The steering being too light also lacks any sporty feel. You can turn it with your pinky, which is not what you want at 100+ mph, or any speed other than parking lot speeds, again, IMO.

Besides those small complaints, I did like the ride/drive. Hopefully they will add some sportiness to the 2013. As it is now, I'm not sure I can part with my RSX.
Yea id have to agree but this car is so easy and cheap to upgrade if you want a more expensive car than of course i would expect it to come like you've mentioned remember the tc is a sporty economy car not a sports car but thanks to mods mine drives like one and I didn't have to break the bank. Also with the right upgrades you shouldn't have any problem taking out sti's,evo's, ect.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea i have a headers/intake/exhaust/short shifter/throttle controller and this car is alot more fun to drive not to mention that this car is now torquey as hell. I raced an rsx type s not long ago and we were neck and neck and he had mods on his car too and was amazed i kept up(he didnt have flashpro or i wudda be done lol). But i've also driven an rsx and when it comes to fun factor i have to agree the rsx takes the cake, i love the drive and feel of the rsx and ur right when u say the clutch is way to soft but that is not always a bad thing. as far as steering its def not for women cuz at speeds of 140-150(which i have topped out my tc2 and the rev limited topspeed is 150-151) the car was little unstable because of aero but i was still moving lane to lane like a sports car. heres a pic of what my obd-2 torque app produced while going that fast! Top speed and 0-60 wasnt recoreded because by accident i erased the values while trying to save.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Backinblacktc2
Yea id have to agree but this car is so easy and cheap to upgrade if you want a more expensive car than of course i would expect it to come like you've mentioned remember the tc is a sporty economy car not a sports car but thanks to mods mine drives like one and I didn't have to break the bank. Also with the right upgrades you shouldn't have any problem taking out sti's,evo's, ect.
Toyota doesn't need to spend money giving the clutch more resistance or the steering with less power assistance.

Honda accomplishes these feats on their base models. It is simply a matter of adjusting or perhaps using a different part altogether, which doesn't have to be a more expensive part.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:15 PM

just picked my tc and loving it.dont forget the 6-speed auto that you can shift!!
Old 10-19-2011, 08:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I test drove the 2012 Civic Si and found the clutch to be very similar in feel to the Scion(as far as being too soft). I am starting to get the feeling that this is what I can expect of all modern clutches on small cars.

The Tc still looks way better though. The decision is getting tough, thankfully I am in no hurry to buy anything right now.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:43 PM
SL Member

I'm surprised a aftermarket clutch is rarely mentioned. When I got my TRD clutch installed in my TC1, it made all the difference in how I drove my car. Couple week later, got the TRD SS and it felt like a completely different car. Fun factor went up by a factor of 10.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by fistpoint
I test drove the 2012 Civic Si and found the clutch to be very similar in feel to the Scion(as far as being too soft). I am starting to get the feeling that this is what I can expect of all modern clutches on small cars.

The Tc still looks way better though. The decision is getting tough, thankfully I am in no hurry to buy anything right now.
So the tc was comparable to the new si in your opinion?
Old 10-19-2011, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I own a 2012 rs 7. my mom owns a 2012 si can prove it with pics if needed. Her clutch feels almost the same as mine. accel seems the same, with the right applications of ebrake the TC makes faster turns, the civic seems a hair and i mean only a hair faster in low gears. as for the steering wheel, look up Keiichi Tsuchiya’s videos. the cars he drifts in he can literally jerk the wheel and it keeps spinning, its how he drifts and hes the king of drifting. So a sterring wheel thats really responsive..isnt a bad thing, it comes down to ur driving style..

as for practicality with space, road noise, options and over all apperance i love the si cause im a honda guy at heart..but it doesnt compare to my rs7..
Old 10-19-2011, 08:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by battlearmor
So the tc was comparable to the new si in your opinion?
Just the feeling of the clutch in its softness. Neither one is anything like the clutches in my previous cars('03 RSX, '00 Si) that had stiffness to them.

Shifter/trans is definitely better in the Civic. But it should be for the few thousand more dollars it costs.