Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

Faulty MAF Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thumbs down Faulty MAF Sensor?

I wanted to know if maybe I needed to replace my MAF sensor, over the past few weeks I have been having trouble with my tC, all I have is a K&N intake and Tsudo CatBack, ever since I installed the K&N I have been getting this problem where my car, not all the time but every once in a while, the car would just rev high and lets the revs drop until it almost stalled and the other day it literally just stalled at a light and it's an Automatic, I got it to Advanced and it came back with P0101 and P0172 codes, he suggested I'd clean the throttle body, clean MAF sensor and clean the filter which I have done, So far the car is running better then before, the idling revs are steady and a little higher then they were before, but if it happens again, should I just replace my MAF sensor? or do I have a possible exhaust or vacuum leak?
Old 07-02-2014, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did u unhook the negative on your battery when u put in the intake so that the ecu could relearn the fuel trim ?
Old 07-02-2014, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HOODedDutchman
Did u unhook the negative on your battery when u put in the intake so that the ecu could relearn the fuel trim ?
Yup! Battery was disconnected, then once I finished the install, put the. Restive terminal back on, then let the car idle for about 10 minutes and went for a drive...no hard acceleration
Old 07-02-2014, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Reset it again now that you've cleaned the maf sensor. Don't know why you'd bother letting it idle for 10 minutes tho. Just drive it.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HOODedDutchman
Reset it again now that you've cleaned the maf sensor. Don't know why you'd bother letting it idle for 10 minutes tho. Just drive it.
you have to let it idle again so the ECU can relearn the A/F ratio, you gotta unplug the battery which every single time resets the ECU unfortunately, but for now so far so good, but it now sounds like i have an exhaust leak where the mid-pipe connects to the cat
Old 07-03-2014, 01:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I reset mine when put my intake in and started it up and drove it right away normally around town. Not stomping on the pedal. Runs perfectly with no idle drops or anything. I've never heard of having to let it idle for 10 minutes.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

high rev? well was that during a cold start? and also have you noticed that the intake is loose like it shakes quite a bit.. cause it could be causing the MAF sensor to be shaking a lot. im not sure what those Codes are for but i know the exhaust wont have anything to do with it since your not even touching a sensor, thats basically all just sound.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by G5_TC
high rev? well was that during a cold start? and also have you noticed that the intake is loose like it shakes quite a bit.. cause it could be causing the MAF sensor to be shaking a lot. im not sure what those Codes are for but i know the exhaust wont have anything to do with it since your not even touching a sensor, thats basically all just sound.
the high rev and drop in revs was when the car was already warm, it started about 5-7 minutes after driving, the intake, I took out and re-installed it, i noticed on my K&N the coupling was put on too high so the coupling was barely on the throttle body, maybe that was causing a "vacuum" leak causing the MAF sensor into thinking that the there was a leak somewhere, its been around 200 miles since i took the intake apart, cleaned the throttle body, the MAF and the air filter, I know i have a slight exhaust leak from my tsudo exhaust but i think its because when my friend and I installed it, we didn't tighten a bolt all the way, which shouldn't throw a light because its after the Cat and O2 sensor anyway, i just want my car to start running right again and not have to worry about a light coming on, its really driving me crazy, i baby the car and take great care of it, I'm just tired of it always having a problem
Old 07-05-2014, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh i see, yea that couldve been the problem with the leak in near the coupling, is your MAF sensor on super tight? and has it been throwing the CEL since you took it apart? yea i dont think exhaust would have much to do with the CEL after the 2 O2 sensors. did you figure out what those codes were though?
Old 07-05-2014, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh i see, yea that couldve been the problem with the leak in near the coupling, is your MAF sensor on super tight? and has it been throwing the CEL since you took it apart? yea i dont think exhaust would have much to do with the CEL after the 2 O2 sensors. did you figure out what those codes were though?
The codes were p0101 and p0172 which were all intake codes, the coupling idk how I did it, it on way too high on the intake and was about to come off the throttle body so the MAF sensor might have thought there was a leak the entire time and the MAF is on the intake extremely tight, I tightened it with the Allen wrench until it didn't move anymore, it's on there good and nope not a single light *knock on wood* and yup I figured out the exhaust leak is definitely after the cat and the o2 sensor I don't here a single noise when the car is running with the hood open, and it is definitely around the mid pipe, I heard a loud ratting the other day which sounded like the mid pipe hitting something, it lasted for 30 seconds and hasn't come back again, it was so strange
Old 07-05-2014, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well thats good that the CEL hasnt come back since you fixed it. and its a little normal to hear the tsudo exhaust hit something unless you get stronger hangers. hope that there arent any more issues with the car
Old 07-09-2014, 03:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well thats good that the CEL hasnt come back since you fixed it. and its a little normal to hear the tsudo exhaust hit something unless you get stronger hangers. hope that there arent any more issues with the car
450 miles driven now, still no CEL *knock on wood* so I'm very happy about that and i found the exhaust leak, there is a small crack on one of the welds on the second resonator on the mid pipe on my tsudo cat back, debating on whether to have it welded up or not yet
Old 07-10-2014, 01:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats good man, hopefully thats fixed, yea ive been hearing thats happening to the tsudo exhausts.. thats why i went with a better built one, plus it came with a S pipe..