Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

Foot Patrol SuperWhite Build..UPDATE! Pretty Turbo, Underglow

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 09:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Install at a shop usually costs 8 to 10 hours at $90 or so an hour. The tune can be as cheap as $200 or as much as the shop wants. I was quoted 8 hours at shops labor charge. It gets pretty expensive especially with how much these kits are to begin with.
With the gauges I would recommend boost, afr, and oil temperature. With the afr gauge I would look in to a wideband aem uego guage. It may be a tad more expensive that the autometer counter part but it got the best reviews and support for it is tremendous.
I'd answer your questions about the transmission, but I have a manual and don't know enough to answer them. All I did was change my clutch.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Congrats on the boost. You'll love it in the auto. I did not swap tranny fluid as its not as easy as it sounds. Tranny cooler would give you peace of mind that the trans will run a little cooler with it. I myself haven't put one on yet and have not had any problems. Although, i do plan on it. I've driven 2,300 miles with the Dezod turbo kit and have not had an issue with trans or anything else for that matter. As far as gauges, i have boost and wideband. If you want one more, oil temp gauge would be your next best investment. I'd also invest in a turbo timer which basically keeps your car on an extra amount of time to give the turbo to cool down instead of just abruptly shutting off your car and walking away. With the turbo timer, you can pull out key and the unit will keep your car on in case you forget to let the turbo "cool down" a bit. It'll help the turbo last longer.
I'm no pro, but the following is what i've learned with a little research, a ton of questions and actually owning an auto tC2. Best of luck!
Old 07-05-2012, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionchicop
Congrats on the boost. You'll love it in the auto. I did not swap tranny fluid as its not as easy as it sounds. Tranny cooler would give you peace of mind that the trans will run a little cooler with it. I myself haven't put one on yet and have not had any problems. Although, i do plan on it. I've driven 2,300 miles with the Dezod turbo kit and have not had an issue with trans or anything else for that matter. As far as gauges, i have boost and wideband. If you want one more, oil temp gauge would be your next best investment. I'd also invest in a turbo timer which basically keeps your car on an extra amount of time to give the turbo to cool down instead of just abruptly shutting off your car and walking away. With the turbo timer, you can pull out key and the unit will keep your car on in case you forget to let the turbo "cool down" a bit. It'll help the turbo last longer.
I'm no pro, but the following is what i've learned with a little research, a ton of questions and actually owning an auto tC2. Best of luck!
You just copied and pasted lol. But it was the same question twice so I don't blame you
Old 07-06-2012, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^ Exactly why I did it Kyle.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I just realized it was the same person on both threads. haha perfectly understood.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks man. how long should i wait when turning my car on till i go and how long before i can shut if off?

and yea i posted in 2 different threads of mine, because some may see the one on the main page and not see the one in forced induction. and im just trying to get advise from pretty much anyone who knows what there talking about so i can learn about this stuff too. and not just go by what one person said.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Generally from what I've read elsewhere you should let it run for the amount of time it takes you to to get ready to go after starting the car. There is no strict requirement here. This assuming of course that you let the car idle for 30 seconds to a minute before you shut it off. The idea here is getting fresh oil into the turbo before you shut off the car. If there is fresh oil in there before you shut it off then you should be fine taking your normal amount of time to get going. Scion does recommend not letting your car warm up while idling, so thats the rule I follow.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok cool. and another question. do i need to upgrade the gas i put in the car also?
i just put in regular right now..
Old 07-06-2012, 11:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jtk2
ok cool. and another question. do i need to upgrade the gas i put in the car also?
i just put in regular right now..
That's dependant on what you were tuned on. I was tuned on 93 octane so that's what i put and never let her get under half a tank. You can still use regular, but car will run like poop and i wouldn't go into boost on it.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I was just thinking going up to 91. But I don't mind doin 93. So I'm going to have to run that in my car for awhile before I throw turbo on and tune?
Old 07-06-2012, 12:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Depending how soon you get the turbo. I'd at least go through a tank of 93 before getting it tuned.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My car is tuned on 93 so that's what I put in there. I will say though that the increase in gas mileage is awesome so I don't mind paying for the more expensive gas. I've filled it up once in the past two weeks when I used to have to fill it up weekly.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool thanks for your help guys! I think I got everything I needed to know. For now.. Ha
Old 07-07-2012, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wait gotta another question. Why is it so dangerous to have the gauges in the a pillar?
Old 07-07-2012, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Airbags
Old 07-08-2012, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't the 1st gen have them there too? Ive seen lots of 1st gen with the pillars in the gauges.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea they do, you still can just would suck if you got in an accident and they blew out and ruined all you gauges and possibly injure you more
Old 07-08-2012, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ook. Well I'm not saying they would or wouldn't injure you more in an accident. But I've looked at some crash test videos on our car. And it doesn't show that piece coming off. Just popped out enough to get the airbag out. Maybe I'm wrong and if I ever do get into a wrec there will be a review of how the a pillar with gauges held up. But I'll be puttin my gauges in the pillar. IMO I think that's the best place. As far as looks in concerned.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea def agree with you that they look the best there, if or when I ever get boosted I'll be putting them there haha
Old 07-08-2012, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Or you could do this...
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=208075

Quick Reply: Foot Patrol SuperWhite Build..UPDATE! Pretty Turbo, Underglow