Notices
Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

Here Comes the Ketchup Club. Release Series 8.0 Build Thread (Spec D Tails)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 10:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool Here Comes the Ketchup Club. Release Series 8.0 Build Thread (Spec D Tails)

#184/2000

Hey Guys... Biglilsteve planted the bug in me so I had to start a build thread. I'm pretty sure I'm the first Release Series 8.0 Build so here goes nothing!

A little back story for you guys. The original owner was a 18 year old kid who had the car bought for him as a graduation present. He took his graduation money and bought a fancy set of Enkei Imola wheels and took his new toy off to college. Being a total NOOB he decided to flunk all of his classes and his parents chose to remove the sporty "bad influence" from his life. They took the car to Pohanka Honda of Frederickburg, VA and traded it in for a 2013 BASE model Civic. I could almost smell his tears when I got in the car.

I bought it on July 7th after taking a 250 mile drive to get the car. the 1500 highway miles that the previous owner put on the car dropped the price significantly. It had to be mine.

Yes it is the auto with Paddle Shifters. No I do not have smaller manhood because I drive the auto. I couldn't justify the fun factor of a manual especially when I'll be paying for the car for the next 5 years.

Name:  image_zpsc3c29fe6.jpeg
Views: 475
Size:  89.1 KB

Mods:

Exterior:

-Spyder Amber Fog Lights (Completely independent of headlights)
-Debadged Trunk
-Spec D Black / Clear Tails
-100 to 150hp in stickers

Interior:

-Memphis C3 15" 2ohm DVC Subwoofer
-Ported Enclosure
-Kenwood KAC-9105D Amplifier 975 watts RMS @ 1 ohm
-4 Gauge Wiring

Suspension:

-TRD Lowering Springs (Factory)

Wheels/Tires:

-Enkei Imola 18x8 +35 Hyper Silver
-OEM Toyo 225/45/18

Performance:

-TRD Axelback RS Exhaust (Factory)
-Takeda Cold Air Intake (No CEL and No Trac lights) Thanks Biglilsteve!
-Agency Power Lightweight Crank Pulley

Future Mods (In order of importance):

-Dezod Green Header
-Remove A Pillar Vinyl
-Eibach Sway Bars

-Dezod Boost when the time comes!

Name:  image1_zpse6acb99b.jpeg
Views: 218
Size:  129.6 KB

Name:  image2_zps5419d2a2.jpeg
Views: 144
Size:  95.3 KB

I was the cover of the RS8 Facebook Group for a wee bit.
Name:  image3_zps68a37e3f.jpeg
Views: 134
Size:  112.0 KB

I will update with more current pics of mods and how the car stands once I leave work.

Enjoy!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-05-2017 at 03:54 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice...but your stickers are weak. Mine are getting at least 200hp. I suggest you check the installation of said stickers....something must not be installed correctly.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dalton_Chaotic
Nice...but your stickers are weak. Mine are getting at least 200hp. I suggest you check the installation of said stickers....something must not be installed correctly.
Probably a vacuum leak between some of them. It's gotta be
Old 12-29-2013, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There he is!! I am glad the intake worked out well for ya! I began to worry when I didn't hear back from you about the rubber isolator thing. So the install went smoothly? Good to see a thread from you man.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

very nice looking car!
Old 12-29-2013, 10:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Awesome. I am glad u are the new owner. Also i am number 25. Enjoy your new ride bro.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by biglilsteve
There he is!! I am glad the intake worked out well for ya! I began to worry when I didn't hear back from you about the rubber isolator thing. So the install went smoothly? Good to see a thread from you man.
Built my own iso mount out of a properly threaded bolt, 2 washers and some vinyl spacers. Rubber caps on either end so there is no vibration. Just glad my dad has some Macgyver blood in him.

First install was a loose one without the iso mount. No codes. All was well.
When I went to visit my parents I used their fancy garage to install my fogs. My dad and I pulled the intake back out. Cleaned up all the coupler connections and made our iso mount. Immediate CEL. I was mad. Then after a 2 hour drive home and being stuck in traffic on 95 for 2 hours the next night, the CEL miraculously disappeared.

Did I mention when I got home there was a brand new K&N Typhoon under the tree for me? Talk about poor timing.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Raining like the dickens outside so mods have to wait. In the meantime I do have this fancy front plate on the way.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wowwwwww that was nice timing lol sorry man. I am glad you got it working well for you though!
Old 12-30-2013, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Update...Spyder Fogs

When I was ordering these fog lights from fastscions.com, I couldn't find anything on these boards telling me if the kit was quality or not. Everyone just says blah blah blah OEM blah so I decided to bite the bullet and give it a shot. Went for the Amber kit because the yellow light cuts through inclement weather better... at least in my experience. Kit was $129.95 shipped and came with fogs, trim pieces, front harness, interior harness, relay and switch.

Wiring was a breeze. The hardest part of the install is pulling back the wheel liner/ underbody liner. Smooth move on that one Scion. Zip tied the front harness to the body along the horn wires and grounded it to a small ground in front of the battery.

The interior section was a little bit trickier but went smoothly. The kit requires a 12V constant source which we wired directly to the battery. We also grounded this section of the wire to another engine bay ground when we ran it through the firewall. It has a fat fuse in line so I didn't see any need to wire into the fuse box. For the Ignition section of the wiring, we wired it to the Blue wire behind my head unit. This is the same wire i used to send signal to my amplifier. As soon as the key is moved to the ON position, the fogs have power. Mounted the relay behind the stereo so it can be heard turning on and off in the car. All that was left was the silly little switch and all was well! Lame green LED has to go.

Basically. This kit is for someone looking to venture outside OEM. Fitment is a 9.5/10 and wiring made it so that relays didn't have to be fooled with. I would highly recommend it to anyone!

Name:  image4_zpsa378b73b.jpeg
Views: 133
Size:  76.0 KB

Slanted ground. I promise they're even.

Name:  image5_zps561a6017.jpeg
Views: 144
Size:  78.5 KB

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-05-2017 at 03:53 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

looks good
Old 12-30-2013, 11:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's about time you made a build thread! Looks good man
Old 01-01-2014, 07:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

RS 8.0 #690

Booya! :D
Old 01-01-2014, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BrokenTusk
RS 8.0 #690

Booya! :D
Canada! Does that mean you have the infamous rear wiper?!
Old 01-01-2014, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Update..Takeda CAI, Agency Pulley, Goodies on the way

I've had these two parts installed for a wee bit now, but I'm just getting around to getting some good pictures of them.

First, the Agency Power Lightweight Crank Pulley. Holy Moly this is hands down the best thing you can do for the car. Any amount of sluggishness associated with the vehicle is stripped away when you have one of these bad boys installed. I got my Toyota Dealership to throw it on during my service so install was a breeze! Buy one. I promise it is the best 120$ you can spend.

Name:  image6_zps53d4eb71.jpeg
Views: 109
Size:  84.1 KB

Next, the Takeda CAI. Now this is one infamous intake. Quite frankly I don't think I've ever seen more debate over a piece of tubing. I'm curious why people were getting CEL's. Maybe the MAF wasn't seating properly? Regardless, I had a CEL for about 36 hours while the car learned how to function with all that new air. Performance is definitely noticeable. A little peppier on the low end and some extra zip at WOT. Sound is nothing at normal driving speeds. WOT it adds a nice rumble under the hood that compliments the TRD exhaust nicely. Did I mention it is just super pretty under there as well?

Name:  image7_zpsda4e986e.jpeg
Views: 97
Size:  118.2 KB

Instagram @RS8point0 Ooooooo Filtersss!

Name:  image8_zpse633e33c.jpeg
Views: 118
Size:  170.2 KB

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-05-2017 at 03:58 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

get a TRD quickshifter if you haven't already. another amazing mod. (I had a supertek before.)

How much did toyota ask for the pulley install?
Old 01-01-2014, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Newman
get a TRD quickshifter if you haven't already. another amazing mod. (I had a supertek before.)

How much did toyota ask for the pulley install?
I'm auto my man. I can only bang through gears in the imaginary fashion. (Paddles ) Pulley cost me an hour worth of Toyota labor. I think it was around $109 when it was all said and done? I know the install is simple as can be but I didn't have anywhere to take care of it in my apartment complex.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

doh, sorry man i keep forgetting. my bad.

that is decent for the install. i didn't even expect toyota to want to do that sort of aftermarket installation. they will not guarantee their work though right? on aftermarket parts. unless they are supplying their own parts i think. that's how most mechanics do it; would be interested in hearing what your dealer said though.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Newman
doh, sorry man i keep forgetting. my bad.

that is decent for the install. i didn't even expect toyota to want to do that sort of aftermarket installation. they will not guarantee their work though right? on aftermarket parts. unless they are supplying their own parts i think. that's how most mechanics do it; would be interested in hearing what your dealer said though.
They didn't want to mess with it. But they had some tech working who got all frisky when he saw I had a Release Series. "Aw man I know how to install that pulley in like 5 minutes." This was after the foreman did everything he could to not install it. But you're right about about the guarantee. The install was as is, no warranty. About the same as if I had installed it myself.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

you got very lucky there, i am glad you're enjoying it!

I was on the fence about the pulley for a while, but i have seen people who have had them for many many miles on their cars w/o any issues so i figured I'd give one a shot. I cannot afford one now but maybe after i am done with most of my mods, i'd get the pulley before the unichip.

Quick Reply: Here Comes the Ketchup Club. Release Series 8.0 Build Thread (Spec D Tails)