Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

Insurance...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 07:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Insurance...

I pay 1500 every 6 months for my 13 scion and my gf's 99 subaru.

Thats WITH a 900 dollar discount.. USAA and other competitors rate me at 2500 for 6 months with full coverage.

Whats crappy is, "This is before my wreck accident hits my next renewel when il see surcharges" Got into a 3 car wreck in april, was last car involved, got cited and yeah got full fault. blows, and i have no idea how much it will go up.

Can insurance DOUBLE your premiums? i cant afford 3k every 6 months. and then it would be like 4k with usaa etc. only 1 ticket ever "following too close" which was involved with the same wreck. lame. should of bought a mustang may of had better insurability. i am 22 years old, 1 following too close, 1 at fault that happened in april that hasnt even been added into equation. this sucks.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:19 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

insurance can charge you whatever they want. i would expect a serious increase.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member

While a different car might have a lower premium, I doubt that a Mustang would be that car. With insurance being the necessity it is the truth is you may very well not be able to afford the car you want, and might have to live with the car you need for several years before a more fun to drive and own car becomes affordable. Along with the tickets, neither of which any insurance company will look favorably upon, your age is working strongly against you.

Time to man-up and accept that The Stones were right. "You can't always get what you want, but if you try, sometimes, you get what you need."
Old 01-20-2013, 02:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, sorry, the tC is considered a high risk vehicle. We all pay high premiums for it. Also, your tC is brand new, which means it will cost more to repair or pay out if it is a total loss. Part of your premium is dependent on how much exposure the company is risking.

Second, in your 4 car pile up, just because you're the last vehicle doesn't mean you're automatically at fault for the whole accident. If the cars infront of you already crashed into eachother, and you come a long a few seconds afterwards and hit the last vehicle, you're only liable for the rear end damage of the last vehicle you hit since the other cars have already crashed into eachother. However, if you hit the car infront of you first, and hit him hard enough to push him into the car ahead of him, and them into the car ahead of them and so on, then yes, the entire accident would be deemed your fault.

Sorry, but you have to pay full time and attention to driving and watch where you're going and follow at an appropriate distance. You were involved in an accident where you clearly contributed. This is part of why you pay higher premiums.

All I can tell you is to regularly shop around. USAA isn't the best and only game in town.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The first vehicle drove off after being hit and they said if I weren't so close wouldn't of been involved.

Will be interesting, falls off record in 3 years right? I wonder if its 3 years from accident date or 3 years from date they raise my surcharge.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Think mustang is cheaper than tc to insure? Curious
Old 01-20-2013, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin
Think mustang is cheaper than tc to insure? Curious
Is this a serious question? Lol a mustang is a sports car with a much larger motor and it's RWD no brained higher insurance
Old 01-20-2013, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mustang will be much more expensive to insure.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

accidents are off the record after 5 years and tickets after 3 years. i Have two at fault accidents and 3 speeding tickets. 2 tickets will come off my record thiss year and same with one of my crashes. i pay 3800 per year. just search for high risk insurers. I use all risk, much much cheaper than anyone else
Old 01-20-2013, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So I called geico, they told me my wreck will be off my record july 2015 and that since my premiums havnt gone up and my accdent is still under investigation, my renewel is in july. if it doesnt surcharge then then thats only 2 years htey can surcharge etc. so they havnt surcharged me yet and the clock is ticking til july 2015.

i pay 250 a month 2 cars/ 2 drivers, old subaru i had with no wrecks was 150. so i guess isnt too bad. but if i didnt have discounts, i'd be at 2400-2500 which is bs. but fortunately i do have them, and if im super lucky 3 years happens and they dont surcharge me and they are out of time.

also, the accident/ticket was the same event and they wont double jeperdy me, straight from geico. however i will lose 150 dollar discount for good driver though for 6 months, which will net 25 more bucks a month automatically. i hope insurance doesnt go over 300 a mo

actually.. its not that bad, its 900 for 6 months for myself and 600 for my gf and her subaru. (all after discounts of course) so i guess well if she was off policy it would be much cheaper.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I changed my insurance to liability only. makes it cheaper. just have to drive more carefully. but yeah, when i researched it, the tC was one of the most expensive cars to insure.. even more than the frs/brz. When I calculated it with my insurance company's rates, I would have been even in price + insurance with a frs in less than 3 years...
Old 01-20-2013, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tc2 has a terrible aftermarket following and are not fast nor are they crazy sporty.. it's just a car that's easy to handle and looks looks.. that SHOULD mean it isn't expensive to insure.., BUT the tc is MOSTLY bought by kids (anyone under 25).. that right there is why our premiums are so high.. young drivers..., well they can't drive! i pay 3 grand a year for full coverage on my tc.. and i hate it! i have NO accidents, but plenty of speeding tickets.. screw insurance companies.. biggest money scam out there..
Old 01-21-2013, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I pay 110 a month for the tc as a pleasure and '06 xB daily driver. Both with full coverage. No accidents that were my fault ever and last ticket was 2001.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There are lots of factors that affect insurance rates. the tC is really not much different from a Civic coupe, but the civic is probably cheaper to insure because it has a less sporty disposition. I bet that the Subaru BRZ and Scion FRS are going to have different rates because of the opinion of how likely subaru owners are to take a risk versus Scion owners even though they're essentially the same car.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My insurances are around 2500$/yr for 3 cars ('12 tC, '02 Sunfire, '84 Trams Am). I never received a ticket (except parkings) and got into one small accident 3 years ago but I was not in fault.

The tC costs 1500$/yr (full coverage) and the two others 1000$/yr (half coverage).

I'm 24 and I live in Quebec, Canada.

Once I turn 25, my insurance will drop pretty good because of my good driving and because at 25 you're supposedly more mature.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One 2013 Black tC; $390 per Six Months; no discounts; Geico; Texas.

Last edited by StatuSCheckA; 01-21-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

$150 a month here for my '11 tC and the girl's '10 Corolla through Progressive.

Both with full coverage and $250 deductibles for collision and comprehensive. $100,000/$300,000 limits.

The tC is not an expensive car to insure.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

How old for you guys? I'm 22.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin
How old for you guys? I'm 22.
You can see the age under the avatar or profile name (if no avatar).

<--------------
Old 01-21-2013, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Notta, I use tapatalk on iPhone. All I see is name.. Even profile won't show age. :/ damn you apple.

Quick Reply: Insurance...