2011-____ [ANT20]

Likes/Dislikes My new TC

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 11:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Likes/Dislikes My new TC

Thought I would list some of the things I like and don't like. Just got the car a few days ago, only have 40 miles on it. My other vehicles are a v8 mustang (199 and an old v8 Jeep (1975), so maybe some of the dislikes are just differences in the types of vehicles that I have to get used to. I will add to this as other things come up, and would like your opinions and likes/dislikes.

Love the color Crimson Mica. Looks black at night, Burgundy in low light, and a deep sparkling red in bright light. Awesome!

Rims look great-no need to ever upgrade, IMO

The shift **** is great looking (I have the 6-speed).

Stereo sounds real good- another thing I will probably leave alone (base).

Love the Scion emblem. I've seen another thread about taking it off- why?

Seats very comfortable-also like the pattern. They say each car is different.

Leather steering wheel feels great.

Dislikes:

I always have the window down and my arm up there. This is hard plastic, not very comfortable. And the elbow rest is too low.

Would like more instruments. A temp and a voltmeter for starters.

Why does the passenger airbag light need to be on? I trust it to work. The light is irritating. Will consider covering it or removing the bulb.

I think it's turning too many revs in 6th gear. This gear should be more like an over drive than it is. If memory serves, it was over 2k at 60mph. Then again, I'm used to american v8's, maybe the higher revs are not that big a deal?

The shifter seems to be further away than I would prefer. 1-2 seem to be about where 3-4 should be. I keep thinking that I need to move the shifter more towards myself for 1st gear. I'm sure I will get used to this.

The revs seem to hang when you let off the gas much more than my other cars, I would like it to be drop sooner. Just sounds like unnecessary revving when I let off the gas to shift or slow down- another import thing maybe.

Car leans in corners much more than my mustang-I will upgrade to fix this as parts and money become available.

I don't like the multi selecter for the stereo (base) feels like something that may well break. Also, can't get it to go into the mode that will allow me to adjust balance, fade, etc. Very irritating.

MPG seems low so far. The best I think I have seen the thing read is 23.7. Most of my driving has been city, but drove this morning on the back roads around 60mph between stop signs and didn't see much of an improvement.

Ok, sounds like I hate the car, but really, I think I'm just getting used to an import after driving nothing but American v8's all my life. So far I'm happy, and glad I got the car.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice intro review. Keep us posted when you put more miles in the car. Don't jump to conclusions yet since you barely even driven it. All in all, I want to hear more about the 6spd and where the rev's are at when you hit 65, 75, 85..
Old 11-07-2010, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by 2011crimson
Dislikes:

I always have the window down and my arm up there. This is hard plastic, not very comfortable. And the elbow rest is too low.

Would like more instruments. A temp and a voltmeter for starters.

Why does the passenger airbag light need to be on? I trust it to work. The light is irritating. Will consider covering it or removing the bulb.

I think it's turning too many revs in 6th gear. This gear should be more like an over drive than it is. If memory serves, it was over 2k at 60mph. Then again, I'm used to american v8's, maybe the higher revs are not that big a deal?

The shifter seems to be further away than I would prefer. 1-2 seem to be about where 3-4 should be. I keep thinking that I need to move the shifter more towards myself for 1st gear. I'm sure I will get used to this.

The revs seem to hang when you let off the gas much more than my other cars, I would like it to be drop sooner. Just sounds like unnecessary revving when I let off the gas to shift or slow down- another import thing maybe.

Car leans in corners much more than my mustang-I will upgrade to fix this as parts and money become available.

I don't like the multi selecter for the stereo (base) feels like something that may well break. Also, can't get it to go into the mode that will allow me to adjust balance, fade, etc. Very irritating.

MPG seems low so far. The best I think I have seen the thing read is 23.7. Most of my driving has been city, but drove this morning on the back roads around 60mph between stop signs and didn't see much of an improvement.

Ok, sounds like I hate the car, but really, I think I'm just getting used to an import after driving nothing but American v8's all my life. So far I'm happy, and glad I got the car.
I will give suggestions in order that you posted the dislikes.

1. Use the up down function of the seat to adjust your riding height so that it is comfortable to place your arm in its destination.

2. No comment about the meters. Most people tack on aftermarket gauges.

3. Passenger airbag light should only be one when the weight limit is exceeded showing a passenger is in the car.

4. The revs are relatively low. Ask previous owners about the earlier models in fifth gear. In my 07 tC, it was turning about 3500 rpms at 65mph. In the new tC, I think I am turning 2700rpms at 65 and I want to say in the ball park of 3200rpms at 75. I don't speed often, so I'm not sure about 85. (super speeders law limit)

5.The shifter is set up that way because reverse is on the driver side. I have the fear of placing my car in the wrong gear all the time. As a habit, I usually place the shifter in the center and move it left and right to make sure its in nuetral, then go hard left and up for 1st. I do however catch myself pulling the safety switch for reverse up and down often when I am driving. Have to be careful not to throw it in reverse....

6. Getting used to where the clutch lets out can be difficult when transitioning into a new car. I have drove cars with several different style clutches and it gets hard to adjust. I used to drive two cars during a week when I was still living with my parents. One was a hydraulic clutch and one was a spring action clutch. Lets just say the difference was insane. I would often sound like I was trying to race people at red lights in a hunk of junk. The 11' clutch lets out around the middle. Also, the clutch is real smooth compared to other clutches that I experienced before.

7. Tein has springs, and I think they are developing coilovers. TRD will have springs late next month.

8. Push down on the volume **** til you some across the grid that allows for fade and balance.

9. Last the mpgs. I would not even look at that average gauge. I changes on how you are driving at the moment. Instead, keep a small memo pad and write down your miles and gallons of gas purchased each time you fill up. Then average your numbers over a given time. Since you drive city, your numbers will be on the lower end of the spectrum.

Hope some of this has helped to clarify or assist.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanx for your input superpickel. I shall experiment with the seat. I realized yesterday evening that the mpg meter was an average from when it was last reset. I reset it and the mpg was much better, got up to 30.2 on the back roads, so it makes sense now.

Still think the 6 speed is poorly set up. Like you, I'm never sure what gear i'm in, that has never happend in my Jeep or my Mustang GT. I'm sure I will get used to it. The revs are so close between 4-6 that you need to pay attention. I don't have problems with 1st, but rather going from 5th to 4th instead of 6th.

As far as the stereo, do you have the base unit? If so, have you held it in and got to the setting mode? I held it in for a good 10 seconds, and nothing.

I checked this morning, and at 50mph and 60mpg, there is only about 1100 RPM difference between 4th and 6th. In my Mustang, for example, 3rd-5th is about 600rpm each, much better, I think.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:25 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

For the MPG gauge. dont reset it after each fill up. It will eventually balance out! Plus hand calculating may show it being way off. But 23.7 city isnt bad. That is around what the tC1 gets city and mpg is pretty much the same. I think they rated mpg slightly better but in all honesty its very similar. And mpg will increase as the engine breaks in by the way!
Old 11-09-2010, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Still think the 6 speed is poorly set up. Like you, I'm never sure what gear i'm in
You should test drive an 05-10 model, and you'll really have a laugh. I'm in 5th gear at any speed above 30mph (which is like.. ~1800rpm). The car has enough torque where it doesn't matter. It's basically start in second (1st is way too short), shift to 5th--done. It feels like an auto most of the time.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:37 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by serith
You should test drive an 05-10 model, and you'll really have a laugh. I'm in 5th gear at any speed above 30mph (which is like.. ~1800rpm). The car has enough torque where it doesn't matter. It's basically start in second (1st is way too short), shift to 5th--done. It feels like an auto most of the time.
You really drive like that? Poor engine! I never sit in a gear where the rpms are below 2k. Excelerating at an rpm below that bogs the engine too much!
Old 11-09-2010, 01:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hold the SSP button untill it comes up with audio settings.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by highvoltage1
You really drive like that? Poor engine! I never sit in a gear where the rpms are below 2k. Excelerating at an rpm below that bogs the engine too much!

yeah bad idea...at that point you would prolly have to push on the throttle so much more to get the car going in 5th gear that your using a lot more gas then going through the gears...
Old 11-09-2010, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This thread has gone wayy off topic? Come on guys, more tc2 owners to chip in.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Your right shadowler! No more talk that isnt on topic. Its gotten way off!
Old 11-09-2010, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by shadowler
This thread has gone wayy off topic? Come on guys, more tc2 owners to chip in.
You read my mind

Back on topic, I have about 150 miles on it now. getting used to the shifter, knew I would. I find myself going straight from 4th to 6th, because 5th is really just so close to 4th. Of course this is leisure driving, if I were in a hurry I would not do this.

Thanx for the SSP advice greenbean, the manual was wrong, that did it!
Old 11-09-2010, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

150 miles is still very little. When I got my first manual tC a year ago, I honestly needed to drive until my first oil change to really get a feel for the car.

Would you mind doing some aggressive shifting when you break the car in more? Im curious to see what gears you think might feel hard to get into. For me, going to third is a pain sometimes.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

IMO. None of the them are hard to get into. It's a pretty good setup, I've gotten compliments from a 07 STI driver, a e46 M3 guy and a 09 Hyundai genesis 2.0 track pack driver.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Sorry crimson. I didn't pay attention when you said you have the base stereo system. I have put about 600 miles on mine, and I think that it is a definite improvement over it's predecessor.

Originally Posted by greenbean24
IMO. None of the them are hard to get into. It's a pretty good setup, I've gotten compliments from a 07 STI driver, a e46 M3 guy and a 09 Hyundai genesis 2.0 track pack driver.
I have received nothing but compliments from several drivers of various vehicles. Even a guy driving an Audi R8 that stopped at a McDonalds in a town I was working in...
Old 11-10-2010, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

and this is for the haters that say, "there is no way you saw an Audi R8 at McDonald's."

Name:  IMG00098-20101015-1140.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  492.2 KB
Old 11-10-2010, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Id believe you! I have seen a Murcielago at taco bell in Seattle!
Old 11-10-2010, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tC2's are nice look good rolling down the road
Old 11-11-2010, 01:50 AM

...The revs seem to hang when you let off the gas much more than my other cars, I would like it to be drop sooner. Just sounds like unnecessary revving when I let off the gas to shift or slow down- another import thing maybe...
gz again =)

definitely not import thing. It's just the electronic throttle that everyone's been talking about.

My current 2002 civic and my previous 2002 sentra does not rev hang. at all. =)
Old 11-11-2010, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by shadowler
150 miles is still very little. When I got my first manual tC a year ago, I honestly needed to drive until my first oil change to really get a feel for the car.

Would you mind doing some aggressive shifting when you break the car in more? Im curious to see what gears you think might feel hard to get into. For me, going to third is a pain sometimes.

Once I get some miles on it, I will see how it feels, after my v8 mustang, it won't be that exciting None of the gears are hard to get into, it's just that I have to get used to it verses my mustang and Jeep shifters. TC very smooth, but the gearing is too close for me.

Quick Reply: Likes/Dislikes My new TC