Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

Likes/Dislikes My new TC

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 03:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

4th to 5th is kinda crazy, they really are super close to each other!

Although I dream about the 4-5 shift next to my buddies Evo X at 115mph once I turbo the ____ outta my TC2

Hehe
Old 11-12-2010, 05:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pretty much got used to shifting.

Another thing, I don't think I like, is the "dead pedal". The floor sticks out on the left for your clutch foot while not on the clutch. My mustang had a, thankfully removable one, but this seems to be part of the car. I would rather have some extra leg room without rolling back the seat and getting further from the steering wheel.

p.s. I'm really liking the smooth shifter now that I got used to it, much smoother than my other cars.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2011crimson
Rims look great-no need to ever upgrade, IMO
yeah, Scion did a good job with their wheel designs, top five from an OEM company (BMW and Ferrari being the best).

The shift **** is great looking (I have the 6-speed).
I hated the 1G... first thing I replaced. Thankfully the 2G is much much better.

I always have the window down and my arm up there. This is hard plastic, not very comfortable. And the elbow rest is too low.

Would like more instruments. A temp and a voltmeter for starters.

Car leans in corners much more than my mustang-I will upgrade to fix this as parts and money become available.

MPG seems low so far. The best I think I have seen the thing read is 23.7. Most of my driving has been city, but drove this morning on the back roads around 60mph between stop signs and didn't see much of an improvement.
Hard plastics and instrumentation keeps the costs down. Voltmeter is pretty useless for 99% of the time. When it's actually needed, it's usually going to be one of two things... battery or alternator. I wish all cars came with: Water Temp, Oil Temp, and Oil Pressure... all in numerals.
About the leaning, it's a stock sub $20K car. Yes, other sub $20K cars may handle better, but the options you get are pretty incredible. plus, you can always toss on a sway bar

MPG isn't the greatest for these cars
Old 11-15-2010, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just curious, what tires are on it?
Old 11-17-2010, 03:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nycboy21
Just curious, what tires are on it?
The base Yokos
Old 11-20-2010, 04:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by shadowler
Nice intro review. Keep us posted when you put more miles in the car. Don't jump to conclusions yet since you barely even driven it. All in all, I want to hear more about the 6spd and where the rev's are at when you hit 65, 75, 85..
took mine on a road trip already... at 75 its around 2800. and at 80 its about 3200-3500. REALLY high in my opinion...

but my 6 speed celica gts was at around the same area...
Old 11-20-2010, 04:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no way.. 5 miles and THAT much of a difference? If you didnt know.. at 65, our TC1 is exactly 3k. so 2800 at 75 cruise is actually great.

Thats why I only cruise at 60 to save gas
Old 11-27-2010, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Got around 400 miles now. Starting to enjoy the car more as I start to drive it just a little harder. Trying to break it in nice, got the revs up to about 4500 shifting today, don't want to race it to much, at least until I got about 1,000 miles. It seems the engine starts to find power up there. My old v8 had all the power practically off idle. This car isn't what I would call powerful, but it does pull in a smooth way that is not too bad.

Learned a trick trying to clean the rims, wash them, then use a leaf blower to dry them, it's just too hard to get my fingers in there otherwise. The leafblower is good around the back license plate as well.

As far as dislikes, I don't like that there is no keyhole in the hatchback... I just picture myself with a dead battery some day, unable to get in the hatchback for whatever reason
Old 11-28-2010, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great thread! I just picked up my first tC this last week. I traded in my fully loaded, modified '07 Pathfinder Off-Road 4x4 for it. I'll miss the Pathy but at half the monthly payment, I can't complain.

With just over 100 miles on it so far, here's what I've seen:

Pros:
- Backseat: I know this seems odd since it's a coupe, but it fits my 18 month old's car seat better than the 4-door cars I looked at!
- Gas mileage: 28.5 mpg (vs the 17 mpg I used to get)
- Stereo: Alpine stereo sounds decent, and I like the iPod control. Considering getting an amp/sub...
- Gauges: I know some of you wanted more gauges, but I love the clean appearance.
- Handling: It rides well while holding a turn, considering it's a sub-$20K car and FWD.
- Seats are very comfortable
- Smooth clutch and shifter

Cons:
- Where's the sunglasses holder? (okay, minor, I realize, but I miss it!)
- Where's the coin holder? (again, minor, but the rubber thing that goes in the cup holder is silly, and I have change to hold! )
- Seems sluggish. I was hoping for better 0-60 times on this. The 7.5 sec 0-60 time seems slow for a sporty car, but also seems accurate (based on the feel) compared to my Pathfinder which did 0-60 in 7.2 sec.
- VERY limited mods available
- FWD (though in all fairness, it does very well for a FWD car)
Old 11-28-2010, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bah, I almost forgot!

Con:
- Reverse Light! Yes, I said "light" as in singular! WTF?!?! Any time I back up it looks like my shiny new ride has a light out. Drives me nuts. I actually took it in to the dealer the next day thinking a bulb was just burned out. Guess I should have looked for myself because the mechanic brought me back and showed me the blanked out spot. Guess I'll be spending some time tapping a reverse line and running wire during my Christmas vacation.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

My old v8 had all the power practically off idle. This car isn't what I would call powerful, but it does pull in a smooth way that is not too bad.
Key word here is V8.

Originally Posted by MightyP
VERY limited mods available
Give them some time. The car is still practically a baby. I think that there are quite a large number of aftermarket items out considering the car is around 3 months old. Patience you must learn young padawon...
Old 11-29-2010, 12:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just took the car on it's first extended drive yesterday, a couple of hours. During the straight and level portion, about 45min, I set the MPG to see what I was getting at 60mph, 35.4. If correct, this is nice. First fill up was 23.6 mix of city and back roads. Actually I'm beginning to doubt the gauge. Next tank, I'm going to leave it for the whole tank and compare it to my figures, I bet it will be off.

Loved the seats and the steering wheel for the drive. Everything was great except one thing: THE STUPID DEAD PEDAL. That thing has become far and away my biggest issue with the car, and really irritated me yesterday. If I move the seat back enough to stretch out my left leg, it is awkward to press in the clutch, and the steering wheel is too far away to be comfortable. Move up to fix this, and my left leg is bent enough to irritate me as the miles go by. I'm seriously considering pulling back the carpet to see if there is something I can do, but I'm guessing nothing short of a blow torch will fix the issue. FAIL TOYOTA. For the record, I'm 6 feet tall.

On a smaller note, I found that I missed the somewhere to put change as well. This is the first time I had change in my pocket while driving. My last car had an ashtray, I see nothing here. Will look for an alternative.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:35 PM
SL Member

I don't know what all you guys are freaking out about the revs on the highway for... I have an 08 altima with a V6 more TQ and HP and its at about 2800rpms around 75mph, I also have a 2000 Civic Si and at 75mph its at almost 4800rpms that seems high to me not 3-3500rpms on a 4cyl you still have to be able to accel in 6th....

I drove the new tc and loooved the improvement over the 1g which i have had 2 of 05 and 09.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Agreed^

When I first drove my tC2 that was the first thing I liked
Old 12-03-2010, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good news for me: The dead pedal is styrofoam! I removed it and have some more room, however the carpet is molded for it to be there, and is now awkward. I think I will just shave it some and put it back.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good news for me: The dead pedal is styrofoam! I removed it and have some more room, however the carpet is molded for it to be there, and is now awkward. I think I will just shave it some and put it back.
Niiiice...being 6'7" that's good to know.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by cement
took mine on a road trip already... at 75 its around 2800. and at 80 its about 3200-3500. REALLY high in my opinion...

but my 6 speed celica gts was at around the same area...
2800rpm @ 75 isn't that high
all other l4 i drove is higher with similar fuel consumption/lower whp
Old 12-04-2010, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

i don't like the material the headliner is made out of. to me it feels like they got a some wal-mart sweats ripped them apart and made a headliner.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think 3,000 rpm at 80mph is that bad at all, my 07 was literally like it didn't have 6th. Way higher revs on the interstate. I really like this new tranny
Old 12-05-2010, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Sketch575
i don't like the material the headliner is made out of. to me it feels like they got a some wal-mart sweats ripped them apart and made a headliner.
Come on people... Thats the beauty of these cars. You take whatever you don't like, rip it out, and replace it with something you do.

The French meaning of the word "scion" is a twig or bud that is cut from a plant used to form another plant.

That is exactly what we do to these cars. We cut away from the norm and form a entirely new scene.

And what is so beautiful about it all is there is a ginormous online community there to support this type of thing. Constantly improving and sharing the ideas.

So what they left a reverse light out... put one in there. Order that extra gauge that the money hungry corporation left off... we'll show them. Cheap fabric means "I always wanted microsuede seats; they tickle my tushy."

The point I am making is that we are purchasing the car and we have the power to change and make the car into something that we like (do not try if leasing). Thats the fun in dedicating time and pride into your ride and saying "Hey, my ride stands out."

Quick Reply: Likes/Dislikes My new TC