Notices
Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

Likes/Dislikes My new TC

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 01:34 AM
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

If you want a flatter handling car, I'd start with sway bars. If that doesn't cut it, I'd upgrade the struts. TRD has already said they have both due out soon. If that's not enough, and you don't mind a lowered car, then I'd move on to lowering springs. But hey, it's a preference thing.

As for the 6 speed, both 5th and 6th gears are overdrive gears. It'd be interesting to see a drive gear comparison of the 1g vs 2g... maybe if I have some spare time I'll bust out the math skills and see how the final gear ratios at the wheels compare. My butt-o-meter says that the gearing kicks butt. I have a close-ratio TRD box in one of my race cars, and I have to say it makes a huge difference on-track and in the twisties.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

~2500 rpm @ 80mph with the 6AT.

Just figured I'd chip in for the auto drivers.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn...must be nice haha
Old 12-05-2010, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow that's awesome
Old 12-06-2010, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

sounds sketchy... 2500? sure it wasn't in the ballpark of 3500? I just wouldn't think that the manual vs. auto would be that far apart...
Old 12-06-2010, 10:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Superpickel
Come on people... Thats the beauty of these cars. You take whatever you don't like, rip it out, and replace it with something you do.

The French meaning of the word "scion" is a twig or bud that is cut from a plant used to form another plant.

That is exactly what we do to these cars. We cut away from the norm and form a entirely new scene.

And what is so beautiful about it all is there is a ginormous online community there to support this type of thing. Constantly improving and sharing the ideas.

So what they left a reverse light out... put one in there. Order that extra gauge that the money hungry corporation left off... we'll show them. Cheap fabric means "I always wanted microsuede seats; they tickle my tushy."

The point I am making is that we are purchasing the car and we have the power to change and make the car into something that we like (do not try if leasing). Thats the fun in dedicating time and pride into your ride and saying "Hey, my ride stands out."
Well said. I can and will change what I don't like. That said, I started this thread to try to help those deciding whether or not they want to buy a TC. It's the kinda info I would want if I were shopping for a car, and wasn't available when I bought mine (I got it before many people had chimed in). Not everyone is like you and I, some people just want to change the oil and drive. So, although I agree with you, I do think this thread has value
Old 12-06-2010, 01:16 PM
Banned
SL Member

First of all, the base car has got to have potential…if the base car (the platform) you are changing/modifying does not have the potential, or not worth changing, then that is a completely different story…take a look at a Smart car. You’ll never get anything worth while out of that! The Smart car will never handle great or carry anything. This platform has got lots of potential at a reasonable starting price. Even if you do nothing to this car, you’ve still got a hell of a car for the money! All car manufacturers cut corners and make cost compromises. I think this is a very good compromise. I got one for that reason. All engineering is, is a bunch of compromises. He who makes the best compromises wins! I’m a gear head…I like to change things…but that is not for everyone. My guess is if you’re on this site, you’re one of us. Change it…share your ideas…we’ll all pitch in…and copy your ideas if they’re great…we’ll give you ideas to make your ideas better. We’ve gotten way off topic…I’ll shut up!
Old 12-07-2010, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice review. i also don't like the fact that the windows aren't automatic. you know, where you press it all the way down, let go, and the windows will continue rolling down. yeah...i don't get why that was taken out of the 2011 models
Old 12-10-2010, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Has anyone noticed that the clock is hard to read during the day? With the sunroof open and the light shining in, it is virtually invisable.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did, and being color blind red is a horrible color for that type of display
Old 12-12-2010, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow, so much you don't like. get rid of it then. better yet, don;t like it's handling? drive the tC1 hard on a twisty road and not use the brakes. then do it in your tC2 and tell me again it's rolls too much. they said the same thing about the EVO X and it out handles the flatter roll STi. Bodyroll is not a bad thing all the time
Old 12-13-2010, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by greenbean24
I did, and being color blind red is a horrible color for that type of display
I will be changing mine to green soon.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Superpickel
I will be changing mine to green soon.
I would like to know how it works out and will do the same if you get a big improvement.

@JDMJim I guess it does sound that way, doesn't it? I traded in a v8 mustang that I loved, and unfairly (but inevitably) I compare the two.

There are many little things I don't like, as listed above. I could even add a few: I really miss the v8 sound, etc.

Bottom line, however; I feel that the tC is a good deal for the price, and most of the things I don't like can be tweaked. And it’s not all bad; I'm really enjoying the better MPG, great stereo, rear legroom, and sunroof!
Old 03-30-2011, 02:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlckdOutTC
yeah bad idea...at that point you would prolly have to push on the throttle so much more to get the car going in 5th gear that your using a lot more gas then going through the gears...
I don't think this is true. Most gasoline engines are most efficient when pumping losses are at a minimum, i.e. wide open throttle. Not the best for the engine, but good on gas.

As for the comments about engine speed - my Element MT (and also the '06 xB MT and '09 Fit MT I test drove) had much shorter gearing... 3000 RPM at 60, 4000 RPM at 80.

My ol' Ninja 250R was at 10,000 RPM at 80. My 650R is around 6500 at 70 if I remember correctly. The 250 sounded like a hairdryer with handlebars.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default tC2 Likes and dislikes

Well I have to say as for my likes
1) SUNROOF!!!!!!! (I love Sunroofs)
2) Roomy Interior
3) Sporty Exerior
4) Nice Rims (18 inches nice)
5) Sporty Interior Leather wrapped steering wheel

Dislikes
1) 1 FREEKEN REVERSE LIGHT!!!!! Whos stupid idea was this? (I dont mind it on the XB cause there was only one lens but on the tC there looks like there should be two.
2) Sloppy gears (they dont sit very tight. Have thought it was in neutral but was actually in a gear. Will probably add the TRD Shift Kit)
3) Cold Coolant Temp light (think this was kinda goofy, I thought there was something wrong with the car first few times I drove it till i read the manual.)

Other than that no real complaints so far with about 1000 miles on the car.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The reverse light thing is weird, but I really don't care. I don't spend a lot of time standing behind my car while I back out. If I ever take it to England, I'll have a great place to mount the mandatory rear foglight.

If I had to list my few complaints, the would be:

1. More buffetting from the sunroof than I expect in a modern car. A great deal of that is likely the shape of the roof, with the sharpish angle between the windshield and the roof. It looks good, but is bad for airflow. I wonder if one of those stick-on visors would help... That said, this is the first car I've owned with a sunroof, unless you count the Element (it was over the cargo area).

2. The hard center armrest. Seriously, WTF. I'd rather them have just cut corners and left the armrest out, and offered a nice padded one as a dealer installed option, than to stick that hard one in there.

3. (minor) Auto open/auto close on both windows/sunroof would be nice.

4. (minor) Road noise is a bit on the high side. This has to be taken in balance with weight reductions - make it quiet, and you add a lot of weight. Add weight, and you need a larger engine, larger fuel expenses, and a larger price tag. Plus I'm traditionally a Honda guy, so I'm used to road noise.

5. (extremely minor, bordering on petty)The dimpled pattern on the plastic strips on the doors, and along the dash between the dashboard topper and the radio/glovebox is cheap looking. Again, I'd have gladly paid if Toyota offered a brushed aluminum (faux is fine) kit to replace that and brighten it up a bit.

That said - it's easy to get Nitpicky; the thing to remember is that this is a pretty dirt-cheap car. The interior materials are a frequent source of criticism, but they are hands down better than the inside of my Fit, Element, and GMC Sonoma (previous vehicles). Also, nicer than the Wrangler, but a John Deere has a good shot at that. The carpet is much higher quality. The equipment included, as well as the interior capacity and most measurements are roughly comparable to an LX-S or EX Accord Coupe 4-cyl. The trim may not be as swanky, but it also costs about $4,000 less (the Accord was high on my list of probable-next-cars).

The fact that this car feels like it's tailored to my frame (6'1 with long legs) is spectacular. So often, Japanese cars feel like they are desiged for 9/10 scale human beings (a.k.a. Japanese people ) This car has proportions that fit me like a GM car... knock them on their design elements and engineering, but they usually get the interior measurements right. Until I got this car, nothing I'd owned felt quite so well tailored as the Sonoma ext-cab. My knee doesn't rub an intrusive console, my seat doesn't feel like it needs to go back another 2", the armrests are the right height (seat all the way back and all the way down). That is more impressive than anything else about it!
Old 03-31-2011, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Occam

1. More buffetting from the sunroof than I expect in a modern car. A great deal of that is likely the shape of the roof, with the sharpish angle between the windshield and the roof. It looks good, but is bad for airflow. I wonder if one of those stick-on visors would help... That said, this is the first car I've owned with a sunroof, unless you count the Element (it was over the cargo area)
i'm sorry i dont understand what you mean by buffetting.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's a loud pressure change, sounds sorta like "wa wa wa" lol it's a lot worse on the tC2 than the tC1 :/