Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

My gas mileage sucks..

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^
Damn I thought I drove a lot lol. I only have 61,000 miles on mine and I bought it last st. Patrick's day

Wow I'm dumb I thought there was another x at the end lol

Last edited by talt2008; 09-30-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Goodness! I thought my 24k miles was a lot!
Old 09-30-2012, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have 1600 miles.. 1 1/2 month. :/
Old 09-30-2012, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by talt2008
^
Damn I thought I drove a lot lol. I only have 61,000 miles on mine and I bought it last st. Patrick's day

Wow I'm dumb I thought there was another x at the end lol
Haha if I can drive 75k miles in 5 months, I really want to know where I drove to.
Originally Posted by ProjectTC2
Goodness! I thought my 24k miles was a lot!
Compared to you guys my car is a virgin then. I wish I didn't have tranny noises with my low mileage.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by russiankid
I broke my tC in in the first month. Had over 2k miles on it. I bought at the end of May and now have 75xx.
i think i broke mine in within the first month as well, well hit the 2000 mile mark and well i just hit 10000 miles today and my baby will be 4 months old on tuesday, i just wish i got it in manual though, i regret it each and everyday
Old 10-01-2012, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin
Could a bad break in of the engine cause horrible gas mileage? I was getting like 27-28 city now I get like 20-22.. I followed the instructions correct for most part. At 500 miles, I took a 300 mile trip, but I kept going form 4-5-6 so then 6-5-4 so it would change rpms for a few minutes at a time.

=\ wtf.

even when im in 6th gear going 65 on highway i reset the mpg button, it says i get like 26 max. and thats off of course, so im probably getting 24mpg highway.

granted I was getting 27-28 when it was 70* temperature, now its 30-50 degrees typically, will that have a huge impact?..
Chances are you got your first tanks of winter blend gas which has less BTUs and thus you get lower mileage. Also the colder temperatures make you burn a lot more gas warming up the engine and your tire pressure a little lower where they used to get hot in the summer increasing their pressure. Try a few extra psi like 5 more and see how it goes up! Don't be shifting out of 6th at highway speed because that will really drop your mileage, just back off the throttle once in a while.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah.. We already had snow. Cold fricken days My gas mileage sucks..-imageuploadedbytapatalk1349059860.062975.jpg
Old 10-01-2012, 02:50 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Delorean2006
i think i broke mine in within the first month as well, well hit the 2000 mile mark and well i just hit 10000 miles today and my baby will be 4 months old on tuesday, i just wish i got it in manual though, i regret it each and everyday
I changed my oil at 800 miles, then another change at 5k. I don't believe in Toyota's oil change service on brand new cars. I found metal shavings at 800 miles in the filter, so the filter did its job.

And I've never drove an auto tC2 but I imagine it would be boring. I honestly hate how Toyota designed this transmission, it is way to noisey and notchy. However, it is fun to drive once you fix all the small nick nacks such as sloppy shifter(still on my list), boat rowing shifting (fixed), and sloppy front engine mount (also fixed).
Old 10-25-2012, 04:25 PM

mine has 2500 miles on it ( 200 when i bought it, It was the only Tc driver the dealership had, I'm sure those were hard miles as well). I get 26 mpg with mostly highway driving at 80 ( 2500 rpm, auto) computer only says 22-23 . I may try the battery trick. I like the auto actually. The Tc is a good Touring Coupe, great passing power on the highway ( 4-6k rpm) and docil (2-4k rpm) driving around town. When I want to get on it I shift manually ( I do wish the shifts were firm though). I do a lot of highway and cruise very nicely at 80 all day. The handling at speed is great too, Had to do a few hard swerves to avoid junk in the road and the car handled perfectly. I wanted the stick, but am happy I got the auto actually, first time ever for that! lol
Old 11-09-2012, 07:03 PM

5000 miles with two months I had my '13 tC...

Anyways, few tips I think useful in regard fo gas milage...I do 60/40 (high/local) and I get about 30+ mph (that's from Milage app on my android).

1. I try to have less weight as possible on the car. No need to carry all the stuff with you in the trunk-space if you don't need it. I go to the extend of having only half a tank of gas max at, but that's just me. I make frequent stops at the gas stations but that's okay with me.

2. I turn off the radio and AC each time before I turn off the car. This helps your battery as well.

3. I bypass gear when I shift and shift at around between 2k-3k rpm. I go from 1>2>4>6 (6th gear is the key, that's override gear). The key here is to keep low rev as possible.

4. I don't race to a stop light. Period.

5. I close the windows if I go 45+ mph.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

How does turning off the radio help the battery, and even so how does the battery tie into gas mileage? Your radio hardly draws any current, I understand turning off the blower motor as they can draw a lot of current but that will only make a difference in the draw on the battery as the starter draws a lot.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:32 AM

All that extra juice to crank the motor, radio, AC, etc at the same time....nothing significant to tell the different but will shows over long period of time. So each time the engine starts, so much juice needed...wouldn't That put more stress on the alternator? And what power the alternator to recharge that battery? That uses gas...do you feel the high rev when you start the car?

Excuse my sarcasm, but again this does not show or you can feel in a few starts....all in theory. I, like everyone here, love to keep their car running well besides all the mods, and these are simple task to do. The question is that do you remember to do it?
Old 11-10-2012, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by russiankid
I changed my oil at 800 miles, then another change at 5k. I don't believe in Toyota's oil change service on brand new cars. I found metal shavings at 800 miles in the filter, so the filter did its job.

And I've never drove an auto tC2 but I imagine it would be boring. I honestly hate how Toyota designed this transmission, it is way to noisey and notchy. However, it is fun to drive once you fix all the small nick nacks such as sloppy shifter(still on my list), boat rowing shifting (fixed), and sloppy front engine mount (also fixed).
The gearbox and shifter suck *****...switching from a base model VW golf to this tc2, I can appreciate more of the German engineering...

Don't get me wrong, the tc is a good car for the money but it is just not well made despite coming from japan.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

As much as I hate tire pressure monitoring systems, the one on my TC works, twice it's come on and both time the tires were down to 25. First time was a few days after picking it up at the dealership, and 2nd was about a week ago when the early morning temps dropped... Didn't notice much of a difference less than 1 mpg drop on the mpg gauge. I average 27.8 to 28.4 going to work and back combined city highway at 75mph. On long highway trips I see 30-31. I don't pay attention to how I drive and frequently go above 3k giving it the gas. Just normal driving. I'm happy with the mpg considering I'm coming from 15-16 mpg Nissan Titan with a 28 gallon tank!

Here are some real world numbers... seems the average is 26-27 mpg... http://www.fuelly.com/car/scion/tc

Last edited by Rob2012TC; 11-10-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionducati
All that extra juice to crank the motor, radio, AC, etc at the same time....nothing significant to tell the different but will shows over long period of time. So each time the engine starts, so much juice needed...wouldn't That put more stress on the alternator? And what power the alternator to recharge that battery? That uses gas...do you feel the high rev when you start the car?

Excuse my sarcasm, but again this does not show or you can feel in a few starts....all in theory. I, like everyone here, love to keep their car running well besides all the mods, and these are simple task to do. The question is that do you remember to do it?
That wouldn't put more stress on the alternator(regulator possibly, but doubtful), not to mention a lot of electronics turn shut off when in the start position anyway.

High rev when starting the car is a cold start up, which is cold idle.

There are a lot of little things that are already accounted for by the engineers at Toyota.

Last edited by russiankid; 11-10-2012 at 09:01 PM.