Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

"Opulence" (Black 'n Gold Build)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lookin' good jay! Your tC is super clean and the black and gold is smexy.

I think you'll enjoy this site. I haven't seen anyone flame people for builds or small mods or even simple questions. This is a great scene here. You'll find a ton of informative threads from MightyP, WellesleyScion, 1stOne, Superpickel and many others. I've learned a lot from all of their posts and everyone here is extremely helpful. Not to mention, a lot of aftermarket dealers are active on these forums, as well.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:19 PM

The front emblem looks great!!! Nice touch!!!
Old 05-17-2011, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks everyone!

Originally Posted by jtk2
that emblem looks sick!!! wanted to do mine similar (except with different colors) but wasnt sure how it was going to look. post up more pics!!
Yeah, it wasn't difficult... except I first tried to tape off/cut out the letters... that did not work. So I ended up spraying the gold paint into a cup and using a fine brush to paint the letters. Worked a lot better and looks just like i sprayed them.

Originally Posted by GagoKENNA
looks sick man! how you liking the injen sri? im thinking about gettin one of those, i live in ohio so i dont wanna risk flooding my engine with a cai...
I haven't put my car on the track so I don't know if it improved times or anything like that... I was more interested in the sound... and it sounds great. I'm more for show than go. ;p
Also, I didn't get the cai as well because it rains a lot here.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SCION CORP
SL Member

The detail on the emblem looks awesome! What's next?
Old 05-17-2011, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scion Canada
The detail on the emblem looks awesome! What's next?
I am working on interior detail at the moment. Got a few pieces of trim painted and debating a few other things within as well.
I ordered some vinyl tint to do my light housings. Also, hope to be getting my windows tinted at the end of the month.
So, thats whats up for this month!
Old 05-17-2011, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SCION CORP
SL Member

Originally Posted by jayjayk89
I am working on interior detail at the moment. Got a few pieces of trim painted and debating a few other things within as well.
I ordered some vinyl tint to do my light housings. Also, hope to be getting my windows tinted at the end of the month.
That's it??

Old 05-18-2011, 04:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

always good to see another build thread started,,,,, need some ideas now that Im running dry. like the front emblem on your car...
Old 05-19-2011, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by jayjayk89
Good luck with the vinyl. I just finished my second attempt at vinyl on this car and have come to the conclusion that I need to seek professional help. No matter what I do, it never turns out right and it ends looking semi-ok... Gonna post some updated pics in my thread of a double layer which looks really good, but not up close...
Old 05-20-2011, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im starting to like this build already cant wait for more updates also loving the front emblem looks sexxay!
Old 05-21-2011, 06:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WellesleyScion
LOL, I should just make enough to cover all of the people who took delivery of thier tC2 back in 2010.

SORRY FOR THE OFFTOPIC JAYJAY
^^^Sounds like a good idea to me LOL. Nice emblem though!
Old 05-25-2011, 12:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Superpickel
Good luck with the vinyl. I just finished my second attempt at vinyl on this car and have come to the conclusion that I need to seek professional help. No matter what I do, it never turns out right and it ends looking semi-ok... Gonna post some updated pics in my thread of a double layer which looks really good, but not up close...
So I gave the vinyl tint a shot the other day with one of my taillights...
Having never done them before I mainly just wanted to see what I had in store for me and to practice.... Looks as if I will be going through quite a bit of the stuff
Old 05-27-2011, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Yeah, the process is quite taxing. I tried it with the lights still on the car and with them off. Had best results (still not perfect) with the lights off the car. With as many turns as there are, it's hard to eliminate all wrinkles and then with stretching, you have to take into account that the stetched areas might eventually try to unstretch... Thats what mine did at the top. Had success on one light after leaving enough to tuck in the little recession all the way around the outsides of the light...
Old 05-27-2011, 12:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, the process is quite taxing. I tried it with the lights still on the car and with them off. Had best results (still not perfect) with the lights off the car. With as many turns as there are, it's hard to eliminate all wrinkles and then with stretching, you have to take into account that the stetched areas might eventually try to unstretch... Thats what mine did at the top. Had success on one light after leaving enough to tuck in the little recession all the way around the outsides of the light...
Ahh. Thanks for the tucking tip.
Any suggestions for the little lip that rounds off the side of the turn signal/reverse light section? I can't seem to squeegee the water out from there and thus can't get it to stretch and stick down into it. I was just thinking I could probably leave a gap there under the vinyl until the water all dries up underneath and then try stretching it down afterwards. :\
Old 05-28-2011, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

It wont do any good to leave the water. The best thing to do it to take a needle, poke a hole, and squeege the water out.

The second light that I did (second time), I didn't even use water. Just positioned it before I started to stick it and used a hair dryer. Turned out better than with water IMO, but what do I know, I'm just an ametuer...
Old 05-28-2011, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good luck with the vinyl. And if you figure out a good technique, please let us know.

I gave up on doing the vinyl myself. I did some asking around town and no one would install vinyl for me, so after quite a bit of asking around, I found a guy who does custom paint to spray tint my lenses for $100 if I remove them from the car (so he doesn't have to waste a whole paint booth on my car).

Dropping them off tomorrow morning and should get them back tomorrow night! So excited!
Old 05-28-2011, 06:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MightyP
Good luck with the vinyl. And if you figure out a good technique, please let us know.

I gave up on doing the vinyl myself. I did some asking around town and no one would install vinyl for me, so after quite a bit of asking around, I found a guy who does custom paint to spray tint my lenses for $100 if I remove them from the car (so he doesn't have to waste a whole paint booth on my car).

Dropping them off tomorrow morning and should get them back tomorrow night! So excited!
I checked around and there's nothing within 1hr of me that will do anything tint besides kids who think they know what they are doing... and personally.. I'd rather learn and what-not myself before letting them do it.
I will be giving the vinyl another shot within the next week or so... 'its been raining here nonstop lately... So *fingers crossed.*
Old 05-28-2011, 06:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It wont do any good to leave the water. The best thing to do it to take a needle, poke a hole, and squeege the water out.

The second light that I did (second time), I didn't even use water. Just positioned it before I started to stick it and used a hair dryer. Turned out better than with water IMO, but what do I know, I'm just an ametuer...
Yeah,
I tried with and without water...
I also got better results without using water. Nearly no bubbles... but lots of stretch marks.
I got a few feet left, so I will fill you in on my next few attempts.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I gave the vinyl tint another shot. It was 100x better this time around. About 90% of it was perfect but one little spot had mad wrinkles and I couldn't live with that so I ripped it off and will go again in the coming days.

I put yellow vinyl over my fogs... that was much easier... and holy crazy bright yellow now ;p

I did a bit on the interior and it is coming out great. Pictures do not do it justice.
I plan to paint the trim in the vents as well as the steering wheel but they are harder to get at. Reupholster the doors is on the list as well.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tht looks really good!
Old 05-29-2011, 05:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

where'd you get the vinyl??? dang that's what i want to do on my interior.

Quick Reply: "Opulence" (Black 'n Gold Build)