Notices
Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

Removing floor mat retention clips?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 09:29 PM

Default Removing floor mat retention clips?

So I just got the WeatherTech floor liner for my TC2, but am having difficulty getting the stock retention clips off (WeatherTech mats don't fit the stock clips, they come with their own). Is there a specific procedure for taking these off and replacing with new ones? I've tried brute strengthening it, but it seems as if the carpet is going to rip off with it.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Without seeing the car it is hard to tell. But if it is like the tC1 clips, the flat part with the hook should have a post that goes into a grommet in the carpet. That post is usually split, which should allow you to use a panel removal tool or something like that to squeeze the sides of it which should allow it to come out of the hole.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

squeeze it from the base and pull up
Old 01-31-2012, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You probably have the positive style retention clips. These are the ones that require you to turn the upper part of the clip to secure the mats in place.

If this is the style then it's a pain to get off. It helps to have a small flat head screw driver. There is a cover on the top that can pop out. Once it's up then it's a game of trial and error of playing with the clip to get it off.

I couldn't figure it out at first and got a service guy at Toyota to take mine off. But he too took a few mins to get it off lol.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by dm1336
You probably have the positive style retention clips. These are the ones that require you to turn the upper part of the clip to secure the mats in place.

If this is the style then it's a pain to get off. It helps to have a small flat head screw driver. There is a cover on the top that can pop out. Once it's up then it's a game of trial and error of playing with the clip to get it off.

I couldn't figure it out at first and got a service guy at Toyota to take mine off. But he too took a few mins to get it off lol.
Yeah, its this type. I'll give it another try in a few hours.

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Post pics up please! never seen the weather tech floor mats look like and I'm interested in getting
Old 02-07-2012, 09:48 PM

Previous poster was right, you have to take off the top part with a sharp flat object and then the rest of the retention clip just comes off with a little force.

I don't have any pics right now but the WeatherTech floor liner is really worth it! It's an amazing upgrade from the stock floor mats because it really covers everywhere that dirt can go, including some of the side by the door. And of course, it doesn't move around with the included retention clips installed.

Highly recommended