2011-____ [ANT20]

Steering noise/feel

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Steering noise/feel

I had to start a new thread because according to my local Coggin Toyota @ the Avenues dealer service center seems to think this pop/click sound/feel in the steering action is normal.. and so Scion Corporate will go with their opinion unless I go get another opinion from a different dealer.

Why is it I talk to one guy from Corporate, he says what I describe sounds like an issue the xB had with its EPS; and then talk to another girl there and she just takes the dealerships word for it?
Why do I have to chase good quality service?
Back in the day a "Warranty" was clean cut Quality gauranteed..
Now it's we'll fix it if you can prove its broken.. I'm disgusted with this process.

Does anyone out there have this going on with their TC2??
Any pop or click during steering, [mainly during abrupt turns or when I move the wheel after it has sit idle for a while(for me)]...
I know I'm not crazy and this mess isn't normal.
Maybe I should phrase the question like this....
Is everyone's TC2 steering as smooth as a babies bottom always?
Old 12-21-2011, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

My tC2 steering is smooth as a babies bottom always.

But I had an issue on the xD a while back that is verbatem to what you are describing. The steering rack bolts had loosened up, once tightened, all noise went away and the problem has never resurfaced...
Old 12-21-2011, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My tC2 steering is smooth as a babies bottom always too.
I can't believe they said "it's normal".
That's their favorite line...
Steering making pop/click sound is normal for Toyota... So sad.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WellesleyScion
My tC2 steering is smooth as a babies bottom always.

But I had an issue on the xD a while back that is verbatem to what you are describing. The steering rack bolts had loosened up, once tightened, all noise went away and the problem has never resurfaced...
See now that's exactly what I've thought.. I even told them it feels like a bolt or bolts have loosened or maybe a bad bushing...
@ the dealer service center I emphasized that they need to check for loose bolts.. when I got the car back. He (Ron Pabloacion) said "Oh, yea yea yea.. they looked at it and nothing looked wrong."

REALLY? Looked wrong? The bolt would have to be nearly out or missing for something to LOOK wrong..
Old 12-21-2011, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not sure if my problem is the same as yours or is even a problem at all but from time to time I notice, while stationary, a grinding/moaning sound when I turn my wheel; I've noticed it before it on stock springs and on TRD springs.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

my steering wheel is perfectly fine (2012 TC 1900 miles).

The only thing I notice that I haven't seen in other cars is when you turn the wheel ALL the way to one side and it hits the barrier, it kinda sounds like a clunk. Also when its cold out its a little harder to loosen it up (below 30 degrees)
Old 12-21-2011, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I get this a tiny tiny bit, but only when the car is sitting still, and only when I turn the wheel to the left. To the right, it does not do it.

Basiclly, mine sounds exactly like what keeev just said, except no moaning, just grind and its not the tires, its coming from the steering collom/colum/collum (sp? lol)
Old 12-21-2011, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by keeev
I'm not sure if my problem is the same as yours or is even a problem at all but from time to time I notice, while stationary, a grinding/moaning sound when I turn my wheel; I've noticed it before it on stock springs and on TRD springs.
hmm.. groan/moan, mine did not do that on stock springs, but on the TRDs it sounded like that.. until the dealer replaced the upper bearing plate and rubber fittings for the strut assemblies.

Originally Posted by clickclickw00t
my steering wheel is perfectly fine (2012 TC 1900 miles).

The only thing I notice that I haven't seen in other cars is when you turn the wheel ALL the way to one side and it hits the barrier, it kinda sounds like a clunk. Also when its cold out its a little harder to loosen it up (below 30 degrees)
Yeah I gather the steering lock clunk is normal, and I expect that noise(something has to collide to stop me from turning the wheel).

Originally Posted by Druidiron
I get this a tiny tiny bit, but only when the car is sitting still, and only when I turn the wheel to the left. To the right, it does not do it.

Basiclly, mine sounds exactly like what keeev just said, except no moaning, just grind and its not the tires, its coming from the steering collom/colum/collum (sp? lol)
Interesting, as I have noticed from a stand still after starting the car that it happens more frequent to the left than the right.. but occurs both ways eventually.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just noticed mine clicking/popping under low speed sharp turns. Guess my strut bearings are going..
Old 12-22-2011, 05:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

@TC-Maverick: Hey man, I bought my 2008 xB from that exact same dealership. Watch out for them. They seem to do a lot of dodging when it comes to warranty work.

Every now and then I run into a good mechanic there. But overall, they've given me a lot of b.s. about not being able to replicate the problem that I described thoroughly in detail.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Can I be in your car when it happens i may know what it is...but its one of those things that i would have to feel in person...just sayin..

btw almost all dealerships are like that now, damn this economy
Old 12-22-2011, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pyroman131
@TC-Maverick: Hey man, I bought my 2008 xB from that exact same dealership. Watch out for them. They seem to do a lot of dodging when it comes to warranty work.

Every now and then I run into a good mechanic there. But overall, they've given me a lot of b.s. about not being able to replicate the problem that I described thoroughly in detail.
Yeah, my B.S. meter hit the roof a couple times there... gotta take the car to someone though right?

Originally Posted by Dam262a
Can I be in your car when it happens i may know what it is...but its one of those things that i would have to feel in person...just sayin..

btw almost all dealerships are like that now, damn this economy
sure ya can. I notice your location says miami and jville.. I'm not going down there tho FYI... PM me to let me know when ur in town
Old 12-22-2011, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by TC-Maverick
Yeah, my B.S. meter hit the roof a couple times there... gotta take the car to someone though right?

sure ya can. I notice your location says miami and jville.. I'm not going down there tho FYI... PM me to let me know when ur in town
ummm you dont remember, i've been talking to you about making a meet in the area im in jacksonville near the airport
Old 12-22-2011, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ummm you dont remember, i've been talking to you about making a meet in the area im in jacksonville near the airport
Slipped my mind sorry.. ur ID woulda been easier to recognize if it were something less like a serial number lol
Old 12-23-2011, 12:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by TC-Maverick
Slipped my mind sorry.. ur ID woulda been easier to recognize if it were something less like a serial number lol
that's exactly why u should remember it lol... tell me who else has a id like that..no one..btw i pmed my # earlier..

oh and you'll get to know it more sooner than later lol
Old 12-23-2011, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that's exactly why u should remember it lol... tell me who else has a id like that..no one..btw i pmed my # earlier..

oh and you'll get to know it more sooner than later lol
lol

I usually forget things unless I made an association with something... serial numbers don't really remind me of anything. Got it! R2D2!
Is your car White with blue?
Old 12-23-2011, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

black

how about yours is it green?