Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

Still got Toyota on the mind

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

He is definitely right about cheap American 5 speeds though. My old Jeep had a gearbox that made the tC2's look like a supercar.

__

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-24-2021 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 07-25-2012, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by speterson82
he is definitely right about cheap American 5 speeds though. My old Jeep had a gearbox that made the tc2's look like a supercar.
That very well may be true, but don't deceive yourself into thinking that just because one turd outshines another, it is no longer a turd. It's simply a polished turd instead.

Last edited by VVTinme; 07-25-2012 at 02:11 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol

but for the money what are you going to get?

for the same money?

civic coupe:
140-hp, 1.8-litre, 16 valve, SOHC-i-VTEC® 4-cylinder engine
<LI id=BodyContent_ContentArea_ContentArea_repModelTrims_repTrimFeatures_3_li_1>4-wheel Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist<LI id=BodyContent_ContentArea_ContentArea_repModelTrims_repTrimFeatures_3_li_2>160-watt AM/FM/CD audio system with MP3/Windows Media® Audio playback capability and 4 speakers<LI id=BodyContent_ContentArea_ContentArea_repModelTrims_repTrimFeatures_3_li_3>Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA®) with Traction Control<LI id=BodyContent_ContentArea_ContentArea_repModelTrims_repTrimFeatures_3_li_4>Ecological Drive Assist System™ (Eco Assist™)
Nothing extra and a lot less power!

Mazda 3 Gs:

Less power, awful to look at and 5speeds.

Toyota Corrolla: S

Uglier, less power, less gears and everyone in the world has one

Ford Focus: HAtch
just slightly cheaper..way less powerfull...has the worst infotainment system ever. we complain about the gearbox but ford has stuck mytouch in everything. the slowest responding system ever

honestly for the money we got it great. for less money find something nicer looking, with more than 180hp, that has as much space, 6 gears and a decent sound system.

Why all hate? i throughly enjoy the car that being said i dont have rattles, only when the bass is up. but i understand that its a cheap car, why is evryone expecting bmw quality. i traded in my bmw and im more than happy at this stage, if your looking for a race car get a genesis, mustang, frs or brz but stop comparing them. the tc is fwd hatchback with enough power but its never been designed to take those cars on!
Old 07-25-2012, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That very well may be true, but don't deceive yourself into thinking that just because one turd outshines another, it is no longer a turd. It's simply a polished turd instead.
I agree. But back to the point I made earlier, the gears are drastically more precise by just throwing on some cable and base bushings from twm or torque solutions for 40-50 bucks and about 15 minutes of your time. Add a $120 Trd short shifter and it's even better. I get where others are coming from, cause when you put on the new parts the first reaction is that the shifter should've come like that. A car for a couple grand more probably does, but these are things that you should expect shopping for a scion as opposed to cars in the 22k-25k range. Even then though, if you selected to have the dealer add the short shifter on delivery, you wouldn't even be aware how sloppy the gears are.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by speterson82
I agree. But back to the point I made earlier, the gears are drastically more precise by just throwing on some cable and base bushings from twm or torque solutions for 40-50 bucks and about 15 minutes of your time. Add a $120 Trd short shifter and it's even better. I get where others are coming from, cause when you put on the new parts the first reaction is that the shifter should've come like that. A car for a couple grand more probably does, but these are things that you should expect shopping for a scion as opposed to cars in the 22k-25k range. Even then though, if you selected to have the dealer add the short shifter on delivery, you wouldn't even be aware how sloppy the gears are.
I'm picking my 13 6spd next week
Trd quick shifter, but do you have link for those bushings?. I'd like to do that to my car

Thanks.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:58 PM
SL Member

This thread is very much alive. I think there are more negative views toward the tc2 than expected because it was a downgrade of how well the tc1 was put together/looked. (interior wise) I think the tc2 body looks nicer, in most aspects but not all....
Old 07-25-2012, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is there anyway we can rename the interior pieces of the car? Any aftermarket fixes to the hard plastic pieces people complain bout?

Example. People complain of the rattle in door when bass is up. I read somewhere pulled the moveable parts and taped up/ felted inside of the rattling spot. Forget where specifically, assuming the window control spots and it stopped the rattling.

Afew small touches like that. Would be good ya know? Or would think

Sorry on iPhone sorry bad grammar.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, you can get leather door inserts, shift boot, e-brake from Redline goods in a ton of color and pattern options. You can get clazzio leather seat covers, all kinds of stuff to fix up the interior. There are plenty of fixes on the forums for the various rattles. Oh and a link to the cable and base bushings....

http://www.twmperformance.com/bushin...ushing-kit.php
Old 07-25-2012, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 09csM
This thread is very much alive. I think there are more negative views toward the tC2 than expected because it was a downgrade of how well the tC1 was put together/looked. (interior wise) I think the tC2 body looks nicer, in most aspects but not all....
Now you're onto something...on the tC2 the interior is worse but the engine better, its a trade off but where would you rather them focus?

__

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-24-2021 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 07-26-2012, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Just my opinion. for the guy that goes by VVTinme, if you supposedly have a 2013 Subaru BRZ, why in the world you keep coming back hating and talking BS about the damn tC2. aren't you happy with your car that you keep picking on the tC2. why don't you just mention a better deal for a brand new car the same price of the tC2? i know its your opinion, but damn.....quit hating i bought the tC2 cuz i liked it so I went and bought it. can the car be better?... yeah but I can live with the little stuff that i don't like about it and for the price you cant ask for more. overall i like my car and don't regret buying it. my buddy has a 06 tC and i had it for like month b4 i bought my tC2, and i really like my car better.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-24-2021 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 07-26-2012, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by eddystc
just my opinion. for the guy that goes by vvtinme, if you supposedly have a 2013 subaru brz, why in the world you keep coming back hating and talking bs about the damn tc2. arent you happy with your car that you keep picking on the tc2. why dont you just mention a better deal for a brand new car the same price of the tc2? i know its your opinion, but damn.....quit hating i bought the tc2 cuz i liked it so i went and bought it. can the car be better?... yeah but i can live with the little stuff that i dont like about it and for the price you cant ask for more. overall i like my car and dont regret buying it. my buddy has a 06 tc and i had it for like month b4 i bought my tc2, and i really like my car better.
I got an email subscribed thread notification for another thread and saw this one; I've got to remember to turn those off.

I haven't looked at other cars for the exact same price as the tC, but for a little more money the Civic Si is a much better car. I just think the OP is better off either keeping his CR-Z or buying something else as if he does run into problems like I did, he'll have very little luck getting anything resolved. It's good that yours has been trouble-free and that you've set the bar low as far as what you want from a car, but cars like the Civic don't have the problems the tC does and offer a better package overall for around the same money.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I find the civic to be hideous IMHO. get a warranty with the difference in cost to ensure your issues will be resolved. I just don't find civic attractive
Old 07-26-2012, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by eddystc
just my opinion. for the guy that goes by vvtinme, if you supposedly have a 2013 subaru brz, why in the world you keep coming back hating and talking bs about the damn tc2. arent you happy with your car that you keep picking on the tc2. why dont you just mention a better deal for a brand new car the same price of the tc2? i know its your opinion, but damn.....quit hating i bought the tc2 cuz i liked it so i went and bought it. can the car be better?... yeah but i can live with the little stuff that i dont like about it and for the price you cant ask for more. overall i like my car and dont regret buying it. my buddy has a 06 tc and i had it for like month b4 i bought my tc2, and i really like my car better.
I get why VVTinme replys to the thread. Hating or not that is what the OP asked for an honest opinion. As for my .02 I think I am done with Scion after I sell my car. Great little car had alot of fun but in the end for what I spent in mods I really should have gone with something else with 0 hassle. It's been a long learning curve with this.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Frost
I get why VVTinme replys to the thread. Hating or not that is what the OP asked for an honest opinion. As for my .02 I think I am done with Scion after I sell my car. Great little car had alot of fun but in the end for what I spent in mods I really should have gone with something else with 0 hassle. It's been a long learning curve with this.
/thread

Great little DD cars, but you really are defeating the purpose by dumping $10k into them.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Frost
This is true. If you want the full package, spend more and get something else. I would never get a scion if I wasn't planning on doing anything to the car.

It's good that yours has been trouble-free and that you've set the bar low as far as what you want from a car, but cars like the Civic don't have the problems the tC does and offer a better package overall for around the same money.
....oh, and don't even try to say that civics don't have as many problems as the tc
Old 07-26-2012, 04:00 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

while most complain about rattle issues...i have personally not experienced any of those myself and yea...the interior might be crappy plastic...but at the same time i makes it easy to rip apart to do other mods. i am more willing to do interior work myself (dash, radio, etc) because all i have to do is pull this pull that...if i had to unbolt a lot of things, i might get lazy. so "lego" interior is less sturdy, but helpful if ur a DIYer

all cars have issues...all cars have things people like and people dont...so its really comes down to is the money worth the (positive) values that the car does have?

i dont think anyone has pointed out that the stock tC2 has a "sports tuned" muffler...not exactly sure what Toyota means by that...but its clearly louder/deeper than most other stock economy car exhausts...tC1 included. I believe the stock dB is like 82 or something, and the legal limit (in CA) is like 95? so its pretty up there

another thing overlooked is that the tC2 no longer has the problem of the "breaking hatch handle" that tC1 and xB1 (xB2 also? i forgot) are notorious for.

IMO, the only real "problem" with the tC2 is the major blind spots it has
Old 07-26-2012, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

People keep forgetting that the tc2 is a starter car. Its inexpensive and you can make it better as you go. Costs are kept down by making things imperfect and compromising. The way I see it, everything on the car can be improved, but theres a fix to everything. It rattles, add some foam. Not enough power, invest in some forced induction. Plastic interior? get it done in CF mold. People are too afraid to work on their own cars, so they buy something thats already made. I got the tc2 because I didn't want a used car and budget was limiting. When the money rolls in, I'll get something that takes less work.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:19 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by NitOxYs
LOL? So the majority that have driven many manual cars and say that transmission is cheap.. Are all wrong? So you're an expert. You must be God's gift to driving manual cars!

When I say sloppy, I mean... You have to reclutch sometimes to engage it into gear. The play on the clutch is huge. They had to replace my synchro's already on my tc2's transmission already. Not even my fault, the shift fork bushing spun off into my 3rd gear. During the cold months, the transmission hates its life. It's not about "missing" gears, it's about how it reacts and how uncooperative it is sometimes.
So, let me get this straight. You're under the impression it's a sloppy transmission because yours had mechanical issues, the clutch is soft, and it's hard to shift in the winter? I may not be God's gift to driving stick, but you're definitely God's gift to car knowledge.

If you don't like the amount of clutch play, I'm not sure why you bought the car. It was aimed at being easy to drive for a younger audience buying their first new car. Sorry to tell you, but nearly every manual trans has issues in cold weather due to the thickness of trans fluid. You can improve this with better synthetic fluid (Mobil, Red Line).

Sweet Wonka meme, by the way. What a great post. Good job.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The trans issue, I bought trd quick shift kit + buying TWM bushings. Will this ideally make it a better feel/engage?
Old 07-30-2012, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yep