Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

tC 8.0 or FR-S?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member

Default tC 8.0 or FR-S?

Hi
New member here, but not a scion owner yet. I’m torn between the tC 8.0 and the FR-S. I plan on purchasing this month and cant decide. I like the look of the FR-S but I think the tC is more practical for a commuter.
I rack up 25,000 miles a year so I need something reliable and I keep my cars till they will go no more. My current daily driver is an 04 Colorado and have racked 210,000 mile with 0 problems I want the same out of my next purchase.
I’m not looking for speed or better handling, just a nice riding car that looks great and will last me a good 8 years. I plan on keeping my truck and have another hot rod in the garage. I just want something nicer then another truck for my 120 mile commute to work.

What do you guys think of the 8.0? Is the package worth the extra money vs the regular TC with a sports package? Im not a fan of red but it is a beautiful car IMHO. From some of the comments on the net their seems to be a lot of bashers of this release, I don’t see anything wrong with it.

Anything I should stay away from as far as options and which are your must have options?

Anything you wish you had done different like purchase extended warranty or was it a waste of money.

Sorry for all the questions. Would appreciate any input positive or negative about either car.

On a personal note, I’m a 49 year die hard Chevy owner/hot rodder that is turning to the dark side of tuners LOL

thanks

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-24-2021 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 08-04-2012, 03:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I love my tC2, but after hitting the autocross course at the Scion FR-S first drive event, the FR-S is an incredible car to drive. The only argument for the tC would be more space and a few
thousand cheaper, but the FR-S is a far superior car. I for one was immediately angry that I didn't wait for that car, but I will trade up eventually. Both cars are going to last as most Japanese cars do.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-24-2021 at 05:37 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 08-04-2012, 03:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wouldnt buy the FRS the first year or so..till they get the bugs out...Theres already a huge list of things owners of the FRS/BRZ have found already.

Maybe wait a couple years for the FRS.

So basically I would go for the FRS.

tC2 is Fugly.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member

I was in your position not long ago about the tC2 and FR-S. Just got a new job and needed a car that is reliable, I ended up jumping the gun and got a tC2 2012.

I went and test drove the FR-S several times at different dealerships and it is a awesome car.

What it boiled down to for me was that the tC2 is a much more practical car for my situation for only having one car.

I can go grocery shopping in it easily.
Take my family places since it fits 5 easily
Give rides to my friends
On my days off I would have 3+ people in my car

I don't plan on modding right off the bat since i need to save money and I don't race or autocross.

Oh, and I also want to mention that I would love to have a Chevy Camaro one day but
I was able to get my tC2 for under 20k, so that was a big selling force for me too.

The tC2 is exactly what I wanted, fun and stylish, yet practical for family use. Perfect commuter for me.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-24-2021 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 08-04-2012, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

0 problems with my FRS. All these bugs people talk about are just quirks of the car. If you have a truck and plan on keeping it get the FRS. Its a ton of fun, reliable, great on gas, and looks awesome. Live a little!
Old 08-04-2012, 03:53 PM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

The dip in the power curve is something I'm waiting on them to fix for the 2014 MY. Plus by next year, the rumors of a turbo variant should be either confirmed or squashed.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I Love my tC2, but I'm pretty sure if I am on the same boat as you are now, I would definitely get an FR-S.

BTW I don't mean to confuse you more but have you looked at Mazdaspeed3 it's on the same price range and its fun to drive too.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-24-2021 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 08-05-2012, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I think the MS3 is a great car too btw. I would take a FR-S over tC2 any day though as a toy car. If you have a truck for work/misc stuff. Storage in a car
doesn't matter. Get the sports car over the commuter car. That being said, I'm waiting until a RS series FR-S comes around, or we get more power, Turbo ect.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-24-2021 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 08-05-2012, 04:21 AM
5 Year Member

I just purchased the tC RS 8.0 yesterday and I really like it. I test drove the FRS and it is really fun to drive, but for me RWD is not practical in the winter, I don't want to have to give up room in the back, and I really love having a sun roof. The tC is a nice mix of sportiness and practicality for me, which is why I got it. It's still an awesome car to drive.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

By reading your post, I think you're better off getting a tC2 than a FR-S.

I had tC2 for a little bit over a year.
I have FR-S for 2 months.

I had no problem driving tC2 for hours.
With FR-S, my neck start to get sore after 3 hours.

I rather have a small space like FR-S so that I can avoid being the driver when I go out with friends.

I liked the tC2 stereo better.

FR-S manual shifter feels better.

I get 30 mpg in both tC2 and FR-S. Same driver, same driving style, same commute route, and etc.

FR-S has some little things taken out to save weight. Exmaples:
- Seat belt height adjustment.
- Driver seat memory (when having someone in and out of rear seat).

Last edited by tyap; 08-06-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TeeCizzle

So basically I would go for the FRS.

tC2 is Fugly.
Such a lovely thing to say in the 2nd Gen forums.

OP: You say you drive 25,000 miles a year, that is alot of road time. The tC may be larger and more comfortable for constant driving. Upon first glance the FRS appears smaller, you may not find it as comfortable for such a great amount of driving.
Of course I know you will test drive both and you will see for yourself.
That FRS will be 25K plus tax and fees.
For 25K you can get a tC with Fees, tax and some accessories or in-car entertainment.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:54 AM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by Flippi411
...but for me RWD is not practical in the winter...

Then you’ve made the wrong decision! RWD and snow lies were started by Detroit marketing people…and you bought it. That came about from RWD pickup trucks back in the 60s and 70s. Detroit had not figured out to add body mass to the back of a pickup truck to make up for the lack of mass in the rear and tire technology was not there yet. This next winter, go back to the dealer and test drive the cars again…you’ll kick yourself for being so gullible.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Flippi411
...I test drove the FRS and it is really fun to drive, but for me RWD is not practical in the winter,....
RWD not practical in the winter? So FWD is lol. You have to learn to drive it in the winter weather.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Fwd is much better in snow.: coming from Alaska resident. Granted I've driven 2,4: 4x4 fwd rwd etc.. Awd and fwd are money here.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^I think more would prefer 4WD over 2WD any(winter weather) day though.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:14 AM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin
Fwd is much better in snow.: coming from Alaska resident. Granted I've driven 2,4: 4x4 fwd rwd etc.. Awd and fwd are money here.

You only have trucks in Alaska…cars are NOT trucks and trucks are not cars. By buying a truck, you’ve sacrificed every other automobile feature to own that truck…now live with it!
Originally Posted by dropzone
^I think more would prefer 4WD over 2WD any(winter weather) day though.

Detroit marketing did a great job! Stupidity was never cheap…some people even learn from other’s mistakes…

To both of you…go test drive a RWD in the winter…but not a pickup truck…then come to your own conclusions.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^No need to, have an '82 Corolla available if I wanted to test that out, doesn't mean winter weather was THE factor in my car choice of a tC1. lol, also for this Detroit marketing you post of, lol.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:05 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by TeeCizzle
tC2 is Fugly.
It's cool, because I'll take my "fugly" tC2 over your chick car, poser, ricer tC1.

Anyway, the FR-S is a toy car, the tC an everyday car. The tC is a FUN everyday car, though. Test drive them both, but if you want something practical, the FR-S is not that.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FR-S and its practical
Old 08-07-2012, 04:59 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Domo
FR-S and its practical
Yeah, practical if you are single, drive 1K miles a year, and don't need to bother with buying big items.

Quick Reply: tC 8.0 or FR-S?