Notices
Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

tC Scion 2010 window not rolling up smoothly

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 07:54 PM

Unhappy tC Scion 2010 window not rolling up smoothly

About a month ago I got all my windows tinted on my car except for windshield. After 2 weeks I realize I started having trouble rolling up my driver side window. Rolling down is smooth and easy when it I roll it up it seems like theres not enough power to roll the window up. It rolls up slowly up to 80% of the way then it stops and rolls back down half way. I am force to use my palm to help it go up.

I took it to Toyota and they said they couldn't fix my issue and charged me for labor because it was not a manufacture defect. They blamed it on the tinting company for opening my door panel while tinting my car.

I confronted the tint company and they said they NEVER open door panels just to tint windows (I believe them more then Toyota). So I am stuck with this issue on my car.

Toyota wants $700 for a new door panel but I'm not going to cough that up for them to fix that window issue. I can live with it since I don't roll my window down at all, only when I'm ordering fast food thru drive-thru.

You guys have any ideas or suggestion on getting it fixed?
Old 09-29-2011, 08:06 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

rule things out...

if u remove the tint, is the problem still there?

if yes, then its prob a manufacture issue and probably under warranty....i guess you can get the shop to put in writing that they didnt open up the door panel to help your case

if no, then something is up with the tint film they used
Old 09-29-2011, 08:06 PM
SL Member

um.. I don't know dude... I think it may be the tint film they used that may be too thick and is adding extra resistance... do you know what type of film they used?
Old 09-29-2011, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vaxc3
um.. I don't know dude... I think it may be the tint film they used that may be too thick and is adding extra resistance... do you know what type of film they used?
X2^^
However, I can add that they do NOT take the door panel off to tint. I am 100000% sure on that as I had a buddy who did tint for years.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:29 PM
SL Member

@Druidiron

I'm not so sure about that.. it really depends on who is working on the tint. The guy that did my tint did infact remove the panel... I asked him why, he said its easier to make sure that the film's adhesive is properly in place... but my previous Lexus IS350 I had, the guy who tinted it didnt remove the panel at all.. so it really depends...

Personally, I just don't see how removing the panel can damage the window motor... unless you don't know what you are doing...
Old 09-29-2011, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I know for sure his shop never took the doors off, they had the mad skillz I guess....
One thing that may be causing the problem is; to apply the tint, they use a water/dish soap solution on the rear of the tint to lube it while the smooth out all the air bubbles. Maybe more-than-should have, got in the rubber seal peice that touches the inside of the glass. Try cleaning that out really well by holding it back and dragging a wet cloth through it several times. If that doesent fix it, I would go back to the stealer and raise the dead.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

see if the window regulator/motor is ok. Slower it goes, maybe its going out?
Old 09-30-2011, 05:22 AM

spray wd40 on the gasket around the door glass. that will fix it i promise...(only on the sides where the sides not the top...