Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

Ziebaets rust undercoating ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Ziebaets rust undercoating ?

Everyone around here talks about it because of the salt and chemicals here in ohio. Can get lifetime undercover for 450 from dealer that includes the touch ups and maitanance every year forever til car dies.
Or buy from the ziebart place, 300 and 40 a year maitanance. It's a given first option will pay itself in few years.

Concerns, I called scion directly and talked to them, will not void my corrosion warranty on frame. People online said it voids some gm etc warranties, won't effect me. Since it's also from my scion dealer, kind of better too.

Here's the question, does it work? My cars paid off and intending to keep it til it's Totalled or wheels fall off. Who knows maybe il keep it like you guys kept your original camaros. Good cheap reliable.

I guess the ohio salt is more corrosive than ever, read they are using stronger chemicals this year on to keep snow off roads, I have no rust yet due to alaska was good to cars since no salt is used.

Pros cons etc. I'm leaning towards doing the lifetime deal since free touch ups for life of car and I'm not planning on leaving Midwest for a long while. I mean, I stayed in alaska almost 7 years.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Krown rust protection IMO. Not a fan of rubber/wax rust proofing (had this on previous car).
Old 02-09-2014, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

At 20 years you can really appreciate having the protection from day 1. But as most cars are traded in within 5-10 years, it's a toss up for the cost. Having it will not have much impact on the value of the car, except in the condition category over the long term. My Dad and Granddad sold cars at a dealership and they swore by it, but the last two cars they bought for themselves they declined the protection package for Ziebart.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by destruk
At 20 years you can really appreciate having the protection from day 1. But as most cars are traded in within 5-10 years, it's a toss up for the cost. Having it will not have much impact on the value of the car, except in the condition category over the long term. My Dad and Granddad sold cars at a dealership and they swore by it, but the last two cars they bought for themselves they declined the protection package for Ziebart.
Like freedom said. He intend to keep his TC for a long time.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sure, til the wheels fall off. But since Scion has been selling cars for 10 years, that is under the 20 year mark. Long is relative, and maybe the wheels fall off at 11 years? ;) We just don't know.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cars paid off, truly no desire to get rid of it.
1. Was cheap
2. Has all heated leather interior
3. Oem audio plus music
4. Completely sound deadened so there's barely any outside noise
5. Insurance is manageable in ohio and as car depreciates should continue to drop
6. Cheap maitanance and repairs on our car + I have 100k mile warranty as is. So that's 7 years there.

Comfort wise, it's there. Looks decent sounds decent and move to ohio dropped insurance to half of what it was and also I'm getting 28-32mpg every tank here.

Alaska it was against me but here I'm content

Scheduled appointment for zeibart from dealer so lifetime yearly applications will be free. I got under it today there's 0 rust anywhere so it will work great.

Also, they told me for 50 bucks more they will sound dampen my car more, I guess they layer it 4x thicker where sound resonates so car will be completely silent from road noise.

Woot.

In alaska the car barely got 20mpg and 1500 /6 month insurance. So I hated the car up there. But here, it's perfect lol.

Last edited by FreedomPenguin; 02-09-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is the second winter I've had with my tC in PA (also uses salt) and I have yet to notice any surface rust on the undercarriage. I am sure the coating will help even with factory coating.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

all cars come with factory undercoating, but if you live in a region with lots of road salting, it might be worth it, just take a look around and check out how well older cars are holding up to the road salt and use your judgement.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not ignoring the nay Sayers, but I got it. 425 for following
Rust proof everything
Rust proof sound deadening 4x thicker in areas
Diamond gloss
Interior coating- probably a scotch guard
Full detail interior and exterior every year wax polish and buff
Along with a reapplication of everything.

every year for life- no additional payments.
I'm very content with this.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

All cleaned up

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d9...pshkl0f3jl.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d9...psm6yvb8yp.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d9...ps3oi7v43g.jpg
Attached Thumbnails Ziebaets rust undercoating ?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1392061387.587357.jpg  
Old 02-10-2014, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Those are some mighty fine leather seats in that one. (checked the photobucket) - and it looks like it can double as a snow plow.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by destruk
Those are some mighty fine leather seats in that one. (checked the photobucket) - and it looks like it can double as a snow plow.

Thanks appreciate the comment And yeah, I like them. Heated leather seats (my toggles are on bottom plastic trim of seats) made driving nice for winter in alaska lol.

As much as I've rough housed her through snow and ice, my paint shows no wear but I do have solargard clear bra which probably helps.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have ziebarts rust protection and rust proofing, under body is sprayed, and engine bay, parts of the hatch, really mainly anywhere is protected that could be out and open to the elements that can easily rust.

i paid 380 for it, which also included paint protection film and interior stain protection.

there is a lifetime warranty on anything that rusts, 10yr warranty on paint protection film, and 10 year warranty on the interior.

free check-up and maintenance annually, underbody is resprayed every year... they pay for anything that rusts if under warranty
Old 02-10-2014, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BeAlLsTaR13
i have ziebarts rust protection and rust proofing, under body is sprayed, and engine bay, parts of the hatch, really mainly anywhere is protected that could be out and open to the elements that can easily rust.

i paid 380 for it, which also included paint protection film and interior stain protection.

there is a lifetime warranty on anything that rusts, 10yr warranty on paint protection film, and 10 year warranty on the interior.

free check-up and maintenance annually, underbody is resprayed every year... they pay for anything that rusts if under warranty

Yeah, they told me the yearly check up and application of everything and detail is free for life so still nice to know they will redo it annually for life of my vehicle. I paid a little more than you but I think it's fair. It was a nice detail too, wouldn't mind it every year.