Notices
Scion tC 2G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

TRD Springs plus noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default TRD Springs plus noise

So just got my TRD springs installed and the car looks sexy. I noticed 2 days after I got them installed that there's a rubbing noise coming from seems to be the rear. Checked the tires, which are the stock 18s, but they don't seem to be rubbing. Went to take it to get aligned today and the front seems to be good but I have a -2.8 camber in the rear. This might be causing my noise, what do you guys think?
Old 03-23-2011, 11:58 PM
Banned
SL Member

Take it back to the dealer...spec is from -1.5 to -2.5 degrees...
Old 03-24-2011, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Figured I would have to go to the dealership...my toyota dealership sucks! lol Thanks for the reply!
Old 03-25-2011, 02:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default No go from the dealer

Soooooo, I took it back to the dealer and they don't sell camber kits nor can they adjust it; they looked at me with the stupidest blank look every. You guys that work at the dealerships or any tech, do you have any idea what to do? Noise isn't bad, just very very annoying and eventually it'll take it's toll on the tire.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Banned
SL Member

My dealer also sucks…so I had to file a complaint with Scion Corporate Offices in Torrance California. Their number is (866) 707-2466. I filed a complaint and it did resolved…it took two months, but I did get most of what I asked for.

Tell them that TRD springs were installed and the car does not handle correctly and now it is making noise.

Good Luck!
Old 03-25-2011, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SCION CORP
SL Member

Originally Posted by Obie
So just got my TRD springs installed and the car looks sexy. I noticed 2 days after I got them installed that there's a rubbing noise coming from seems to be the rear. Checked the tires, which are the stock 18s, but they don't seem to be rubbing. Went to take it to get aligned today and the front seems to be good but I have a -2.8 camber in the rear. This might be causing my noise, what do you guys think?
Is the sound always there? or under certain conditions?
Old 03-25-2011, 05:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's always there.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2tCornot2tC
My dealer also sucks…so I had to file a complaint with Scion Corporate Offices in Torrance California. Their number is (866) 707-2466. I filed a complaint and it did resolved…it took two months, but I did get most of what I asked for.

Tell them that TRD springs were installed and the car does not handle correctly and now it is making noise.

Good Luck!
What things did you ask for?
Old 04-21-2011, 02:15 AM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by tyap
What things did you ask for?
It was not related to this thread…it was about the XM radio with traffic and weather reporting. I also asked them to give me the employee discount for parts because of all of my troubles…but they told me to go pound sand on the discount.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

my dealership sucks as well, took me over a month to get my car, and 2 weeks of that was after they had already gotten the money for the car... got a free premium radio out of it but they basically tell me to f' off now when i go in with any issues
Old 04-21-2011, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Turns out the noise was my tranny the whole time, it just coincidently started after I put my springs lol.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thread is kind of old. However, I still have a creaking noise coming from the front driver's side wheel well. I've taken it to the dealer 4 or 5 times now. They've replaced the front driver's side strut, and the sound went away. Of course, not too long after, the sound came back whenever I turned the wheel to the left at a low speed (parking lot speeds). I've asked them several times if they clocked the TRD Springs correctly and if the front support sub-assembly was put on exactly the way it was before it was taken off and they claim everything is fine.

I've also asked them to adjust the rear camber as it is fairly negative for my tastes. They claim that everything is within spec, and they have not found anything wrong.

As of now, the car still makes the noise. It's random, but still makes it. I can reproduce the sound every so often when I'm driving 5-10 mph and making a left turn, or when I'm backing into spaces.

The service manager said that they've been emailing Toyota to see if there were any tickets on the car or the springs. They received a reply back, so they say, that the springs will take a good 3K in miles to fully settle. I called BS, but unfortunately, since I can't reproduce the noise at will, they cannot help me.

So, now I'm just waiting until I hit the 3k so I can b*tch at them. I know somewhere down the road I'm going to have suspension issues due to this (or an uncommon increase wear on the tires). Anyone else still having the issues after the TRD Springs were installed?
Old 05-09-2011, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

may i ask if the 2nd gen tc rear cambers are adjustable like the old the 1st gen tcs??
Old 05-09-2011, 04:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

nope
Old 05-09-2011, 05:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool

Hmm, this kinda worries me as I've just ordered the springs earlier today. I hope you're able to fix this sometime soon!
Old 05-09-2011, 05:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dang it lol
Old 05-09-2011, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I'm hoping to see some results after the 3k mark at the dealer. If they don't find anything, I'm putting the tein ssd-p's in instead. I figure the warranties will be void after the turbo is dropped in.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SCION CORP
SL Member

Originally Posted by ZeroEyeQueue
Thread is kind of old. However, I still have a creaking noise coming from the front driver's side wheel well. I've taken it to the dealer 4 or 5 times now. They've replaced the front driver's side strut, and the sound went away. Of course, not too long after, the sound came back whenever I turned the wheel to the left at a low speed (parking lot speeds). I've asked them several times if they clocked the TRD Springs correctly and if the front support sub-assembly was put on exactly the way it was before it was taken off and they claim everything is fine.
Not only do the springs need to be set correctly, but the strut mount bearing does as well. We had this issue on a car we tested the springs on... Might have even been 1stOne's.

Some things you can check yourself: I think there are markings on the strut mount bearing and the fender so you know it is properly aligned, and the TRD logo on the springs themselves should be right-side-up...

Hope this helps.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Threads like these really make me rethink buying the TRD springs. Haven't clicked "Buy" yet...and damn not sure if I want to at all...
Old 05-11-2011, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scratch
Threads like these really make me rethink buying the TRD springs. Haven't clicked "Buy" yet...and damn not sure if I want to at all...
Don't let this post discourage you. From 1stOne's track day video, it seems the springs do the job. The one thing you have to worry about it is who is installing it. My dealer installed mine, which is probably why I have all these problems (not that I can do any better).

I'm sure if you get them installed by someone who knows what they're doing rather than someone who is supposed to know what they're doing, but doesn't, you'll be okay.

Quick Reply: TRD Springs plus noise