Notices
Scion tC 2G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

TRD Springs plus noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One would think a dealership would know how to install a dealer supplied option on a car, but alas...

I just keep looking at my odo and seeing 1200 miles. Yeah it's to young to start putting springs on this thing.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scion Canada
Not only do the springs need to be set correctly, but the strut mount bearing does as well. We had this issue on a car we tested the springs on... Might have even been 1stOne's.

Some things you can check yourself: I think there are markings on the strut mount bearing and the fender so you know it is properly aligned, and the TRD logo on the springs themselves should be right-side-up...

Hope this helps.
Yep, it was mine. If the bearing isn't seated perfectly, it will bind and become damaged, therefore requiring replacement. Its a little different top hat than you'd find on your usual suspension systems.

Most dealers are probably not reading the instructions like they should be.

Originally Posted by Scratch
Threads like these really make me rethink buying the TRD springs. Haven't clicked "Buy" yet...and damn not sure if I want to at all...
You should be clicking "buy". Any lowering spring will have this issue if not properly installed. Its not the springs, its the installer.

Originally Posted by Scratch
One would think a dealership would know how to install a dealer supplied option on a car, but alas...

I just keep looking at my odo and seeing 1200 miles. Yeah it's to young to start putting springs on this thing.
Never to young! Mine had 7km's on it when it got its first new mod!
Old 05-12-2011, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

too young to mod?!?! crazy talk! I had most my mods in the first 3000 miles haha
Old 05-12-2011, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Obie brought an interestin point, something else could be making the noise, 'cause you should not have any unusual/new noises from lowering springs that are installed to specs.

Also suspect to noises- ball joints, end links, axles, CV joints/boots, etc.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:27 AM

Im getting the same creaking sound. Installed S techs about 3 weeks ago. Ive been reading the forum. I have checked several new TC's, auto and manual.

The blue dot on the top hat seems to be in different positions on most of the ones I look at. How do I know what is right? Im sure by now i will have to replace the bearings but, how do I ensure they are aligned properly this time around?

I followed the install instructions just like the trd pdf i came across. I may not have been exact on my bolt torquing though. springs sit where they should, bump stops cut, etc.

I am very happy with the ride quality and drop of the S-tech's and just wish to not have this sound anymore, get this thing aligned, and throw some spacers on the factory wheels since new ones aren't in the budget till next year.

Need some help with that also. what would be an ideal spacer front and rear, factory wheels, s-tech drop? Also, Where could I get them?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 05-12-2011, 05:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That creaking is because your top hat is not sitting on it properly. There have been people on the forum with that issue and on my install video I make sure to note that the whole assembly should be marked donut is clocked correctly. Ball joints an other suspension components can cause problems but I'm almost positive that the top hat is not on correctly. I'd be willing to bet on it. But it's not a big deal now but your going to need that bearing which is the whole top assembly. If you have any more questions feel free to message me. As some other guys will tell you I'm pretty knowledgeable