Notices
Scion tC 2G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

TRD Sway Bar

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 04:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I want some!!!!!!!
Old 08-06-2011, 05:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn nice. i'll have my own set in the next 6 months.. u take a caliper and measure it?
Old 08-06-2011, 10:35 PM
Banned
SL Member

Here are the front sway bars. The OEM bar is 0.950” DIA and the TRD bar is 1.000” DIA.

Here are the front bars on top of each other so you could see the length difference. The middle corresponds to the OEM length.

Here is the front bar installed from the front.

Here is the front sway bar installed from the rear.

Here is the whole suspension with the wheel at full lock to the left.

Here is the whole suspension with the wheel at full lock to the right.
Do NOT put jack stands on the OEM hard points like I did!!!! You have to take the two chassis bolts out and the whole car collapses down. So DO NOT support the car as shown here!

Since my car collapsed down, I could not get the front swing arm bolt out. The oil pan was in the way.

I had to lift the engine up! Here is the front engine mount. I had to remove the rear transaxle mount too. Oh, and the TRD front Tower brace was in the way of lifting the engine up…I had to remove that too!

Here are the rear bars. The OEM sway bar is 0.875” DIA and the TRD sway bar is 1.125” DIA.

Here it is installed from the rear looking forward, left side.

Here it is installed from the rear looking forward, right side.

The whole job took 4 hours…with the car collapse and lifting the engine. Plus an hour for cleanup.

Last edited by 2tCornot2tC; 08-07-2011 at 12:20 PM. Reason: added firs picture...was having issues.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice, now how do they feel ?where is the review? I can't take this teasing anymore! Hit some mountain roads and give the people what they want!

Last edited by Backinblacktc2; 08-07-2011 at 12:28 AM.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you lift up the front where it says in the owners manual at the spot in the middle, will you run into the issue of having to lift the engine?
Old 08-07-2011, 01:17 AM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by Backinblacktc2
Nice, now how do they feel ?where is the review? I can't take this teasing anymore! Hit some mountain roads and give the people what they want!

Give me a chance to drive it!

Wow...what a big improvement! Made the car much more stable in the transition phase – when changing directions.

The car still needs an alignment and camber adjustments...
Old 08-07-2011, 01:25 AM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by goose_119
if you lift up the front where it says in the owners manual at the spot in the middle, will you run into the issue of having to lift the engine?

That is how I lifted my car. But you still need to set the car on jack stands to do the job. If you follow the structure forward to the two bolts at the forward end of those jacking points (on each side of the car), I think you will be OK. You will need to remove the two bolts at the aft end of that structure.

The bottom line is...I don't know for sure. But be prepared to lift the engine.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not what i wanted to hear, lol. i may just see what my buddy at the dealership will do em for. already messed up clocking my springs, not sure if i wanna risk anything else to it
Old 08-07-2011, 05:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for pioneering the install for the rest of us. And the bars look great. I hope they improve handling as much as we're all hoping they do! Please keep us updated on how you like the feel over the next few weeks.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Banned
SL Member

Hey…don’t get me wrong. The bottom line is; I think you’d be stupid if you didn’t put sway bars on your car. They don’t have to be TRD’s…

Now for the long answer. I’m an engineer and I say things in a very dry, calculating way. After I put on these sway bars, my car felt more stable in a straight line too. That is not supposed to happen with sway bars alone. I was so overwhelmed by that straight line added stability that I was distracted from the main evaluation. And that is why my previous answer was so guarded.

So what happened? I’ve had the suspension off of this car several times already and I have yet to get an alignment! I don’t know where the alignment was before I started on any of these suspension upgrades, nor do I know now and I know what a big difference just an alignment does. So what is holding me back? Camber adjustment…there is none! In a couple of weeks I’ll start designing and building my own camber adjustments links for the rear and plates for the front…I'm tired of waiting for someone to start making them for us all. It just doesn't make sence to me to just adjust the toe when the camber is just as important...I'll live without castor adjustment. So why do it and them have to do it agian?

Last edited by 2tCornot2tC; 08-07-2011 at 12:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-07-2011, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2tCornot2tC
After I put on these sway bars, my car felt more stable in a straight line too. That is not supposed to happen with sway bars alone. I was so overwhelmed by that straight line added stability that I was distracted from the main evaluation. And that is why my previous answer was so guarded.
Are you installing a special front sway bar that connects the front chassis to the rear? I see no reason how you are getting any benefit in a straight line with a sway bar. It's intended to transfer lateral grip from one end of the car to the other only when making a sharp turn. I can understand if you changed out your sprints/struts to make things stiffer when accelerating in a straight line, but no way at all with a 'sway' bar.

Your evaluation just sounds more psychological to me than anything. Sorry

Last edited by oblivionlord; 08-07-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Banned
SL Member

Read my posts…when you don’t understand what was written, then ask…or better yet, just go back to your oblivion…

Last edited by 2tCornot2tC; 08-07-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice!
Old 08-12-2011, 01:47 AM

Was lifting the motor a must or was it a result of the collapse? Are those Trd springs I see as well?
Old 08-12-2011, 03:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default TRD sway bars - how about the strut brace?

I'm waiting to hear from someone if either or BOTH of these make a noticeable difference in routine handling. Please let us know. I'm very interested in seeing anyone who has installed either or both write a detailed review. Thanks!

Last edited by Patriot07; 08-12-2011 at 03:30 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 08-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nibiru
Was lifting the motor a must or was it a result of the collapse? Are those Trd springs I see as well?

The instructions didn’t say anything about lift motors, so, I have to deduce that it was a result of the car collapsing down about 2”. Yup…TRD lowering springs.

Originally Posted by Patriot07
I'm waiting to hear from someone if either or BOTH of these make a noticeable difference in routine handling. Please let us know. I'm very interested in seeing anyone who has installed either or both write a detailed review. Thanks!

I’ve already had the TRD front tower brace in for several months now. This sway bar completed the whole TRD suspension upgrade. As you can see from the photos, I did not go with the TRD brakes or the TRD wheels. I chose F-Sport wheels and brakes. I’ve installed the tower brace and the springs at the same time. These two kits require removal of common parts to install, so this turned out great. All TRD suspension upgrades made an incremental improvement on the handling. Now it’s a different car. I still think that this car would benefit from front and rear lower suspension bracing and fender bars too.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have them installed finally and wrote a quick review...

You can find it here: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...&postcount=274
Old 12-05-2011, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay so I really want to do my rear sway bar. Does anyone know where or if its possible just to order the rear trd sway bar?
Old 12-10-2011, 05:10 AM

Thats all I want too.. Just the rear ^^
Old 12-10-2011, 05:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

try calling trd sparks. otherwise eibach or hotchkis, whichever comes first will be the solution

Quick Reply: TRD Sway Bar