Notices

New Tire Options...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 04:06 PM

Default New Tire Options...

I opted for the Toyo Proxes A20 on my TC (made the dealer swap them for the Yok's that originally came on my car) because the tread pattern looked better for winter driving and I must say they’ve performed well.

But now, with spring around the corner, it was time for some performance all-season tires. I put on a set of Sailun Atrezzo Z4+AS’s in the stock 225/45R18 size. I thought about going with 245/40R18’s but I’ll wait for new 20” rims before going with wider tires.

At first glance you could clearly see that the Sailun’s have a wider tread face and a squarer shoulder. The rim guard was the indent in the sidewall rather than an outer band on the sidewall which helped the look/stance. For kick’s (and being a performance nut) I decided to weigh the two tires for comparison. The Toyo’s weighed in at 24lbs on the nose and the Sailun’s weighed in at 22.6lbs. I would be interested in knowing the weight of the stock Yok Avid tires…

After driving the car there is a definite improvement in road feel and the ride is just as quiet. You can really feel the difference when cornering at speed as the car feels much more stable. With 2-3 more weeks of “winter” weather we’ll have to see how they perform in the snow/slush!

Pic’s and update to follow…
Old 03-09-2011, 04:33 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

My TC2 came with the Toyo Proxes...

but anyways, it'll be nice to see and read how it goes with other tire options as I probably wont get the same Toyo's when I need to change them out
Old 03-09-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by KidJustin
My TC2 came with the Toyo Proxes...

but anyways, it'll be nice to see and read how it goes with other tire options as I probably wont get the same Toyo's when I need to change them out
Yeah, I noticed different cars had different tires on them and they couldn't explain to me why. I got the ones I wanted for winter driving and now it's play time...mind you it's snowing outside right now!
Old 03-09-2011, 05:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kamikaze5G
I opted for the Toyo Proxes A20 on my TC (made the dealer swap them for the Yok's that originally came on my car) because the tread pattern looked better for winter driving and I must say they’ve performed well.

But now, with spring around the corner, it was time for some performance all-season tires. I put on a set of Sailun Atrezzo Z4+AS’s in the stock 225/45R18 size. I thought about going with 245/40R18’s but I’ll wait for new 20” rims before going with wider tires.

At first glance you could clearly see that the Sailun’s have a wider tread face and a squarer shoulder. The rim guard was the indent in the sidewall rather than an outer band on the sidewall which helped the look/stance. For kick’s (and being a performance nut) I decided to weigh the two tires for comparison. The Toyo’s weighed in at 24lbs on the nose and the Sailun’s weighed in at 22.6lbs. I would be interested in knowing the weight of the stock Yok Avid tires…

After driving the car there is a definite improvement in road feel and the ride is just as quiet. You can really feel the difference when cornering at speed as the car feels much more stable. With 2-3 more weeks of “winter” weather we’ll have to see how they perform in the snow/slush!

Pic’s and update to follow…
I've highlighted a few things above that seem out of place based on your post...

All-season tires always "look" better for winter, but in reality its really the compound and sipe count that count it as being a true winter performer. Considering all-season tires lack both of those components, I would say that they are completely useless in actual winter weather.

Performance All-Season....seems like a contradicting statment. Its like saying Healthy Grease. Unfortunately tire companies label tires this way too, but there is no such thing as a performance all-season. You have to sacrific performance for all weather and vise versa.

That's all.

Oh, and the tires...I think the Toyo's come on automatics and the Yoko's on the manuals.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

^^^ no, I have Toyo's on my manual tranny
Old 03-09-2011, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WellesleyScion
^^^ no, I have Toyo's on my manual tranny
Well there goes my theory. Haha.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by 1stOne
I've highlighted a few things above that seem out of place based on your post...

All-season tires always "look" better for winter, but in reality its really the compound and sipe count that count it as being a true winter performer...

Oh, and the tires...I think the Toyo's come on automatics and the Yoko's on the manuals.
I was given the auto vs. manual tire option as well but when my dealer called Scion Canada to find out if there was some rationale for tires they confirmed it was completely random...go figure!

As for the tires, I work for a tire company and I agree with you 100% on compounding which is why some tires are considerably better than others in the same "category" (as gray as they are). However, tread pattern/sipe count makes a big difference to and it was noticeably better on the Toyo's.

I got my car in February so that was a concern for me but I do plan on full snows for next winter.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:50 PM

So I've put about 70 miles on the new tires and as you can see from the pics we got some snow today!

New Tire Options...-img00029-20110309-1721.jpg

New Tire Options...-img00028-20110309-1720.jpg

New Tire Options...-img00027-20110309-1720.jpg

The wheel sinks into the side wall.

The Z4's have a fairly "sporty" tread pattern which is similar to Kuhmo SPT (see tracks in snow) but were not too bad. The Toyo's were good in light snow but neither are substitutes for winter tires!
Old 03-10-2011, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was given the auto vs. manual tire option as well but when my dealer called Scion Canada to find out if there was some rationale for tires they confirmed it was completely random...go figure!

As for the tires, I work for a tire company and I agree with you 100% on compounding which is why some tires are considerably better than others in the same "category" (as gray as they are). However, tread pattern/sipe count makes a big difference to and it was noticeably better on the Toyo's.

I got my car in February so that was a concern for me but I do plan on full snows for next winter.
Good stuff! I find despite the weather in Canada, there is still a lot of education needed on tires. Good to know you are already up on it!

You are from Canada? Where abouts?
Old 03-10-2011, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by 1stOne
Good stuff! I find despite the weather in Canada, there is still a lot of education needed on tires. Good to know you are already up on it!

You are from Canada? Where abouts?
I'm in Hamilton and work in Brampton and am loving the drive now.

What are your coordinates?
Old 03-25-2011, 03:50 PM

So I've put about 70 miles on the new tires and as you can see from the pics we got some snow today!

Attachment 4550

Attachment 4551

Attachment 4552

The wheel sinks into the side wall.

The Z4's have a fairly "sporty" tread pattern which is similar to Kuhmo SPT (see tracks in snow) but were not too bad. The Toyo's were good in light snow but neither are substitutes for winter tires!
For those in SW Ontario and the US NE you can relate to the warm temps we had last week vs. the snow/cold temps that have returned this week. I've put about 1,100 miles on the Sailun Atrezzo Z4+AS and they're great in the dry/wet but have performed surprisingly well in the snow... but I'm hoping that's the last time we'll see snow this winter!
Old 03-25-2011, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm in Hamilton and work in Brampton and am loving the drive now.

What are your coordinates?
I'm in Vaughan.

Hoping the snow buggers off asap so I can mount my summers and go for a rip!
Old 04-14-2011, 03:54 PM

Default Sailun Tires at UFC 129!

I'm really impressed with the Sailun Atrezzo Z4+AS tires on my tC. I've put over 3000 miles on them now including a track day!

I'm also a big UFC fan I'm really looking forward to UFC 129 in Toronto.

Sailun Tires is going to be a part of UFC 129 by sponsoring fighters and is also giving away two pairs of free tickets.

Check out Sailun Tires and enter their UFC 129 contest at:

Facebook Tab link http://www.facebook.com/sailuntires?sk=app_197602066931325

or

Sailun Tires Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/sailuntires
Old 05-04-2011, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

...in the stock 225/45R18 size. I thought about going with 245/40R18’s
Additional question on there... what different tire size options do we have with the stock 18's?
Old 05-04-2011, 08:57 PM

On 18's you have these options:

245/40 - slightly smaller diameter

or

255/40 - slightly larger diameter...and more grip!
Old 05-04-2011, 09:01 PM
Banned
SL Member

None…that is kind of like saying, I’ve got this foundation designed for a 1 story house; can I build a 3 story house on it? Anything other than the 225/45ZR18 will not perform as well.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:16 PM

On 18's you have these options:

245/40 - slightly smaller diameter

or

255/40 - slightly larger diameter...and more grip!

Sorry, I should have mentioned these 18" options will work but on a wider wheel than the stock 18X7.5.

The 245/40 and 255/40 should be mounted on an 8.5" or 9" wide wheel.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was wondering, after I saw your post I just kept going out and looking at my wheels, wondering what/how/huh/how... ok NOW that makes sense, if you buy some other wider 18s...
Old 05-06-2011, 08:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

wouldnt a 255/40 work ok on a 8" ?
Old 05-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Banned
SL Member

Go to the tire manufacturer’s website…the wheel size depends on how the tire was designed. It makes a difference even on the model of tire chosen and not only the size of tire. The manufacturer will list the ideal wheel size for that model of tire and the acceptable size range. Since you will be buying new wheels, get the ideal wheel size for the tire you have chosen.

As a rule of thumb, the first number is the tread width in mm…so if you are looking to put on a 255/40ZR18 tire, you divide 255 by 25.4 to get 10.0…you will be looking for about a 10-inch wheel. I’ve put on Michelin Pilot Sport 3s in 255/35ZR19s on my car. Michelin says I need a 8.5” to 10” wheel and the section width was measured with the tire mounted on a 9” wheel. That is why I chose a 19X9 wheel.

Quick Reply: New Tire Options...