Notices

Snow tires...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 06:54 PM

Default Snow tires...

Anyone planning on getting snow tires? What size? rims?
Old 11-08-2010, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you live in an area that has an actual "winter" season, you should definitely consider snow tires. Your best option is to pick up a set of used or crappy wheels just for winter and keep your snows on them. Makes swapping between season MUCH easier... though since you have TPMS, you'll either need to get a second set of sensors and have the system reset when you swap - or just ignore it through the winter.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:53 PM

I've bought used 16 inches winter tire and wheels.
They fit just right on the breaks caliper.
They are Camry 16 inches wheels
Old 11-10-2010, 09:43 AM
Banned
SL Member

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...2/tire-details

Michelin X-Ice Xi2 on the stock rims...

and then get the 19" TRDs for the summer...
Old 11-10-2010, 11:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2tCornot2tC
http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...2/tire-details

Michelin X-Ice Xi2 on the stock rims...

and then get the 19" TRDs for the summer...
I did the Blizzak WS70 on stockers for winter. Much nicer tire then the X-Ice in my opinion for the same money.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:20 PM
Banned
SL Member

I have Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi on my Honda Fit...they are fabulous tires, but they are not made in tC 2G size.

I understand there is a big differeance between the Michelin X-Ice and the X-Ice Xi2.

The tests that I've read say that the X-Ice Xi2 are better than the Nokian Hakkapeliittas...Blizzaks didn't even rate...I'm going for the Xi2s. I'll let you know how they work out.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi on my Honda Fit...they are fabulous tires, but they are not made in tC 2G size.

I understand there is a big differeance between the Michelin X-Ice and the X-Ice Xi2.

The tests that I've read say that the X-Ice Xi2 are better than the Nokian Hakkapeliittas...Blizzaks didn't even rate...I'm going for the Xi2s. I'll let you know how they work out.
Look at them first. There are almost 2x the sipes in the Blizzaks vs the X-Ice Xi2.

I did all the comparative work before I bought. Wouldn't go back.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:16 PM

I just bought a set of the Michelin Xice Xi2 on steel wheels. I haven't installed them yet, but because they don't have sensors I suppose the tire pressure warning light will come on. Any way to disconnect it for a few months or do I have to live with the light? They wanted almost $300 for the sensors...not worth it IMO. (2007 TC)

Thanks
Old 11-13-2010, 02:00 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Does anyone know if the xB2 steelies will fit on our gen 2 tCs? Lug pattern is the same but do we have caliper clearance?
Old 11-15-2010, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think they will fit, but my only concern would be offset. But again, I don't think you'll have issues.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:54 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by grinderman
I just bought a set of the Michelin Xice Xi2 on steel wheels. I haven't installed them yet, but because they don't have sensors I suppose the tire pressure warning light will come on. Any way to disconnect it for a few months or do I have to live with the light? They wanted almost $300 for the sensors...not worth it IMO. (2007 TC)

Thanks
I know of people who have put on a piece of electrical tape (black) over the idiot light...problem solved!
Old 11-15-2010, 10:43 PM

Mounted the wheels today and put about 50mi on and no light?? Maybe the system isn't working, which is ok just kind of strange.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No offense guys, but I'm pretty sure these cars don't have TPMS. They don't in Canada anyways...
Old 11-16-2010, 04:21 AM

Asking a marginally stupid question here, so bear with me....

I am from New Orleans and recently moved to Boston. We do not have these mysterious "snow tires" where I come from, and my usual sources of car information are all NOLA-ites as well and can not help me at all. I have heard from some that snow tires are a must, and from some that all weather tires will see me through, especially since I only drive like twice a week, and it is all city driving, no highway.

I am sure both opinions are valid, but I am not planning on staying up here for more than a year. Should I really spend several hundred dollars on Snow tires?

I have a 2008 Scion xD

Thanks,

Brynn
Old 11-16-2010, 09:10 AM
Banned
SL Member

Let me answer your question with a question...

If it was your choice, would you buy insurance? It is a gamble. If that one year you are in Boston the snow season is light and you didn't shell out that $800 0r $900 for snow tires, you win!

Just between us girls (we're talking now), there is a big differance between all season tires and snow tires.

Now, if you can predict the weather, can I be your friend?
Old 11-16-2010, 10:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only thing that connects you to the road is your tire. All season tires lose the ability to control snow, slush, ice and pretty much everything else below 7*C. Sorry, I don't know what that is in Fahrenheit, but you can probably convert that.

All season tires are great in warmer areas, but they really should be called 3-seasons.

Remember, traction acts in 2 ways: Accelerating and decelerating. Its decelerating that snow tires (winter tires) make the most difference, as thats the make or break between you losing control and having it.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:02 AM

My 07 has the TPMS as the light did come on once when a tire was low, but no light now with the snows on. This will be my first season with snows. The stock tires really suck in any kind of snow IMO. I got mine from tire rack for about $560. Thats four Michelin X-Ice, four steel wheels, lug nuts, mounted, balanced and shipped. I ordered them on a monday and had them by thursday. The Michelin's they say have comparable traction to the other popular snows but not quite as noisy on dry roads.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:59 PM

Default Did I get the right tires?

So I got new snow tires installed today:
X-ice 2 215/55/17 94T
on Steelies 17x6.4 +45 (multifit)

Two questions:
1 - I hear a weird low pitch noise above 60km/h that goes away eventually at higher speeds (or maybe the roadnoise drowns it out) The store person said its normal and the sound can get higher at higher speeds. I never had this issue with my previous tires on my accord, just want to make sure if this is normal?
2 - I noticed that through the front wheels there's a bit of the tire hub that sticks out, on the rears though it's flat. Are there covers to cover these areas up?
3 - Just wanted to know whether the tire and rim combo is proper.

Thanks
Old 12-06-2010, 04:14 PM
Banned
SL Member

1-The offset of the stock wheel is 39-mm. You got 45-mm. That means that the centline of the wheel will be 6-mm (1/4-in) inboard. That will give you 12-mm less of wheel track - the width from centerline to centerline of tire. All things being equal, that gives you more stability at higher speeds...on snow, you want exactly the opposite. As a general rule, snow tires will give you quite a bit of road noise...so that is normal...that comes from the tread pattern.

2-I do not understand your statement/question...

3-The tire and wheel combination may be right, but the wheel to car is not...weight rating is OK. You got 94s and all you needed was 91.

You are asking the questions too late...you've already bought the tires and wheels.

Last edited by 2tCornot2tC; 12-06-2010 at 04:28 PM. Reason: weight rating correction
Old 12-06-2010, 04:32 PM

1-The offset of the stock wheel is 39-mm. You got 45-mm. That means that the centline of the wheel will be 6-mm (1/4-in) inboard. That will give you 12-mm less of wheel track - the width from centerline to centerline of tire. All things being equal, that gives you more stability at higher speeds...on snow, you want exactly the opposite. As a general rule, snow tires will give you quite a bit of road noise...so that is normal...that comes from the tread pattern.

2-I do not understand your statement/question...

3-The tire and wheel combination may be right, but the wheel to car is not...what is the weight rating of the tires...that may not be right either. You don't mention that.

You are asking the questions too late...you've already bought the tires and wheels.
Sorry, i thought it may have been confusing, I don't know all the right terms. Through the centre of wheel, part of the hub (is that correct) sticks out, is there any way to cover it up with some sort of hub cover etc? That's all I was asking.

This is all the info I could get off Michelin's website, I think the weight rating is 94, is that right?
Tire Size 215/55R17
Item # 04745
Load Index / Load Range 94
Speed Rating T
Sidewall BSW
Tread Depth (in 32nds) 10.5
Revolutions per mile 791
Max Load, Single (@PSI) 1477@51
Overall Diameter 26.3
Rim 6''-7.5''
Width Range 8.9'' on 7''

Now when you said that the wheel to car may not be a right fit, does that mean it's not ideal or it will cause problems? I realize I should've asked this earlier, but if the tires/rims installed are incorrect for the car, I can still go back.

Thanks again

Quick Reply: Snow tires...