Notices

Winter Tires with Multi Fit Steelies

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 11:58 PM

Default Winter Tires with Multi Fit Steelies

Hi Guys,

I am really confused right now, I got my winters installed by a mechanic over the weekend, they are 215/60/16 with Multi Fit Steelies. I had them on my previous 2007 Nissan Altima, and the whole set was bought from Costco. So when the mechanic put them on, he told me I did not have the correct steelies for the tC, as there is a little bit of a gap in the center on the steelie after installation, he said the correct steelies would not have any gap at all and advised me to buy new steelies as he doesnt recommend having that gap there (where if i go over rough road conditions, the gap might start moving up and down, and cause the nugs to loosen).

So I went to Costco just now after work thinking it was because my bolt pattern was off which caused the little gap to appear. However, the person at Costco said that the little gap was due to the steelies being Multi Fit instead of Hub Centric, if they were Hub Centric than there would be no gap at all. He also said Costco only sell Multi Fit steelies and not Hub Centric ones, and it shouldnt be a problem for my tC. He also looked up the bolt pattern for both my old Altima and the tC and they are the same size (4 1/2 inch) so there is no need to replace my current steelies.

My question is, does anyone have Multi Fit steelies on their tC? and whether you guys have the same little gap in the middle of the steelie?

One thing to note is that the stock lug nugs doesn't fit my steelies, they were too short to actually tighten the steelies so I had to purchase new lug nugs that the mechanic said were built for steelies that were longer and can tighten up my steelies.

I figured if thats why Costco sells, then I can't really go wrong with Multi Fit steelies as I had them on my Altima for 3 seasons. However, I would like to get others' opinion on here.

Thanks a lot, much appreciated, sorry for the long post.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Idk what to tell you really. i bought 16" steel rims for my snows off tire rack and the only difference ive noticed between the steelies are how the lugs center the wheel withe the rounded bottom of the lug instead of the washers in the middle of the lug. as for my stock lugs, they are too long and ive been considering getting new ones that dont have the washers or stick out as far. can you post a pick of what you have on your car because i've never heard of a multi fit steel rim. doesnt mean they dont exist but im just curious since im no mechanic lol
Old 12-09-2011, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by talt2008
Idk what to tell you really. i bought 16" steel rims for my snows off tire rack and the only difference ive noticed between the steelies are how the lugs center the wheel withe the rounded bottom of the lug instead of the washers in the middle of the lug. as for my stock lugs, they are too long and ive been considering getting new ones that dont have the washers or stick out as far. can you post a pick of what you have on your car because i've never heard of a multi fit steel rim. doesnt mean they dont exist but im just curious since im no mechanic lol
here is a pic of it, but the phone quality is pretty bad, not too sure what you guys can make out of it lol

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/267/img04071c.jpg/

it has the new lug nugs i bought from the mechanic as well

yours were too long so that it actually sticks out?
Old 12-11-2011, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wouldn't ride on wheels that are not hub centric.

Don't buy new wheels though. Just get hub centric rings. Find out the hub bore of the steelies and then get rings that go from that size down to the 60mm hub that our cars have.