Notices
Scion xA Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

bBist Carbon Fiber Spoiler for the xA!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, the prototype rear spoiler looks great, and after waiting so many months, it's good to finally see the progress, however- there may be some serious issues to consider.

HAS ANYONE EVER SEEN A REAR WING, OR ANY BODY PART MOUNTED WITH TAPE?

I'm pretty sure the spoiler won't come off, even at speed, and I should be able to see the wing becoming loose before it would just fly off, so it's probably okay. Still, I'm concerned that over time the tape will loose it's adhesion due to heat exposure from the sun.

Theoretically, I think it's a horrible idea. If the rear spoiler were to come off and cause an accident, I doubt that any insurance company would cover it- making way for a big personal lawsuit. I'm guessing that the company that is manufacturing the spoilers could also be held liable, for producing and retailing the stick-on spoiler.

I'm also not sure how to remove the spoiler, if I need to.

I posted some threads on other websites to get info and advice on this situation. I'll let you know what responses I get....

-Pete
Old 08-30-2005, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

when applied correctly, double sided tape will never let go. i'm more worried about what it will do to the paint.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by randomsuper
hopefully, more will be made for those of us that missed out. awesome job.
hopefully not.
thats what is so rad about this in the first place.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

couldnt someone just yank these off and run? thats my only "real" concern.

am curious to more info on tape and how it can hold such a item getting bumped around so much.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member

what is the idea on price for this thing? This would be the next logical mod for my baby.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Yeti_xA05
what is the idea on price for this thing? This would be the next logical mod for my baby.
well right now it is only available to the group of 10 that bought into this project.
if and when it is released tp the general public down the road i would assume it is 250 plus dollars.

but that always will reflect on unforseen costs they discovered while building us the 10 wings, and since bbist said it was a costly prototype and so on i expect a higher doller.

just my .02
Old 08-30-2005, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I'm feeling slightly better about taping the spoiler onto the car. I still have some questions, though.

If you want to see some of the advice I'm getting, here's a link:

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php...&#entry6128155

There's no doubt that the spoiler looks good!

-Pete
Old 08-30-2005, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

AWSOME!!
Old 08-30-2005, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We are a company that prides ourselves on making quality products that last. We would not sell a product just to make a quick buck. This has been our reputation for years and we intend on keeping it that way. If you are not sure about our quality, then you really don't know about us.

There is no way that a properly installed spoiler using "exterior" Scotch or 3M double sided tape would come off the car (once it has been mounted on the vehicle for a few days). Once the spoiler adhere's to the vehicle it becomes very difficult to remove, let alone steal (especially just by yanking on it and running off with it)

Pete - "Still, I'm concerned that over time the tape will loose it's adhesion due to heat exposure from the sun. Theoretically, I think it's a horrible idea."

Once the tape has adhered the wing to the vehicle, it's on. Heat exposure from the sun will not cause the tape to loose it's adhesion to the point of the spoiler coming off. Keep in mind that the spoiler is a very light item, it's not a 10 lb. block hanging off the back of your car. The wing is prob. only 2-3 lbs.

Theoretically, it's a perfectly sound idea to use double sided tape. People seem to underestimate the strength of double sided tape. Once you have the spoiler on the car, you will realize just how strong it is.

-Steve
Old 08-30-2005, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member

yeah, I too am very interested in the price for I want dibbs on one to!!!!
Old 08-30-2005, 11:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by bBist
We are a company that prides ourselves on making quality products that last. We would not sell a product just to make a quick buck. This has been our reputation for years and we intend on keeping it that way. If you are not sure about our quality, then you really don't know about us.

There is no way that a properly installed spoiler using "exterior" Scotch or 3M double sided tape would come off the car (once it has been mounted on the vehicle for a few days). Once the spoiler adhere's to the vehicle it becomes very difficult to remove, let alone steal (especially just by yanking on it and running off with it)

Pete - "Still, I'm concerned that over time the tape will loose it's adhesion due to heat exposure from the sun. Theoretically, I think it's a horrible idea."

Once the tape has adhered the wing to the vehicle, it's on. Heat exposure from the sun will not cause the tape to loose it's adhesion to the point of the spoiler coming off. Keep in mind that the spoiler is a very light item, it's not a 10 lb. block hanging off the back of your car. The wing is prob. only 2-3 lbs.

Theoretically, it's a perfectly sound idea to use double sided tape. People seem to underestimate the strength of double sided tape. Once you have the spoiler on the car, you will realize just how strong it is.

-Steve
veeery true. a buddy of mine mounted a cf wing on his matrix with double-sided tape. after having it on for only a couple minutes he wanted to adjust it but couldnt pull it off. all 3 of us took turns and even pulled on it at the same time and it didnt budge so double-sided tape aint no joke. just make sure you put it on right the first time
Old 08-31-2005, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="bBist"]We are a company that prides ourselves on making quality products that last. We would not sell a product just to make a quick buck. This has been our reputation for years and we intend on keeping it that way. If you are not sure about our quality, then you really don't know about us.

I have seen BBist work in person on some of the scion evelution cars and fell in love with the quality.

I am/was just ignorant to the use of tape, and I am glad to be reassured the strength is there.

cause when all is said and done this is a great idea and i hate drilling.

I'm so excited
Old 08-31-2005, 09:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

-Steve
Okay, I have faith that it will stay on.

How about removing it?

-Pete
Old 08-31-2005, 10:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

looks great.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

How about snow. Does CF hold up well to freezing and snow on a constant basis? I will probably remove my hood this winter, but If i cannot take the spoiler off....will it stay intack with the snow??
Old 09-01-2005, 08:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jorez
How about snow. Does CF hold up well to freezing and snow on a constant basis? I will probably remove my hood this winter, but If i cannot take the spoiler off....will it stay intack with the snow??
All of our carbon fiber products should not have too much of an influence from freezing water and snow. The only thing I would worry about is the Salt! Just take care of the wing like you would your paint. Wash it, wax it, etc.

If it's just snow you're concerned about, don't be...

-Steve
Old 09-01-2005, 08:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kodokan_4

-Steve
Okay, I have faith that it will stay on.

How about removing it?

-Pete
I thought you were worried about it staying on...?

(answer ---> don't... )

-Steve
Old 09-01-2005, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought you were worried about it staying on...?

-Steve
Yeah, sorry about that- my job is giving anesthesia, so I'm always worried about everything!

The issue for me is that I had a tree branch fall on the roof of my xA, and it hasn't been fixed yet.

So there's no way I can install the rear spoiler, until the roof is repaired and repainted. I'm also concerned about putting the double-sided tape onto new paint.

There should be some way to remove the spoiler for repair/repaint situations.

-Pete
Old 09-01-2005, 06:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If the place thats doing the paint know about Double sided tape then they would know how to take it off carefully and putting it back on. Remember this is there job not to ____ anything up... So i wouldnt worry too much on taking it off and on because they should know and if they dont know take it somewhere that does know...
Old 09-02-2005, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

HALLALUJAH!

It was a long wait, but damn after looking at those pics I have to say it's looking pretty damn hot!

How will you be contacting us when the product is ready? It's been a long time since I sent you my contact info that some of my information has already changed like my cell # and email! XD

Quick Reply: bBist Carbon Fiber Spoiler for the xA!