Notices
Scion xA Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Remove the TINT

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 06:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow these tips are so good I think it should be stickied.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by windowtint

and NO STATE allows a front windshield to have a layer of film applied over the entire surface. Visor strips at most and that's it.

Looks as if Ohio and North Dakota allow 70 on the front windshield...
but then again, that is like pratically clear
Old 01-07-2006, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"70" is a federally mandated minimum light transmission level, they are simply repeating what the fedgov has told them.

Under FMVSS205 ( - if it's that important to read it... google), the feds set limits on glass darkness a manufacter may provide on vehicles, if they (car makers) do not abide by those rules, they will not be permitted to sell the car in the USA. -- this explains why some vehicle types have factory dark glass (xB) and others do not (xA). Different classification of cars.

re: a windshield, it is not possible to add a layer of film to automotive glass and still not be darker than 70%VLT unless you used a clear UV-filter film. Any film with even the slightest, most minimal degree of darkness would make the net VLT of the glass lower than 70. Not to mention that a windshield has no need for an extra layer of film to filter UV light - it already does that at 99% becuase of the clear layer of plastic inside of it. Tinting a windshield is purely for vanity. "I have sensitive eyes" - the normal excuse people give us for wanting a tinted windshield... buy RayBans.

I'm not saying I agree with all the tint laws (some are incredible stupid and narrow minded - while others are to liberal) - we need the laws, some people can't control themselves without them. There should be one uniform and reasonable law - and then it should be enforced with draconian measures. Illegal tint = car towed and impounded 30 days. 2nd time - lose your license, car and jail. 3rd time - $10,000 and no license until paid. (or something like that.... just making a point is all). If people don't quit breaking the tint laws, the gov. will finally say "ya know what? we gave you the chance, you abused it - so fine. NO MORE TINT. PERIOD." This is why it is already illegal for the most part to use any real darkness in some states (PA, NY etc) - to many abused the tint laws - so they got fed up and punished everyone for the actions of the few LD's that can't learn. Keep tinting darker than legal and there wont be tinting much longer.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You've made a great point. Well said. Here's also a link to allowable tint amounts. I found it through the tech section.

http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Law_Chart/S...aw%20Chart.htm
Old 01-29-2006, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by windowtint
"70" is a federally mandated minimum light transmission level, they are simply repeating what the fedgov has told them.

Under FMVSS205 ( - if it's that important to read it... google), the feds set limits on glass darkness a manufacter may provide on vehicles, if they (car makers) do not abide by those rules, they will not be permitted to sell the car in the USA. -- this explains why some vehicle types have factory dark glass (xB) and others do not (xA). Different classification of cars.

re: a windshield, it is not possible to add a layer of film to automotive glass and still not be darker than 70%VLT unless you used a clear UV-filter film. Any film with even the slightest, most minimal degree of darkness would make the net VLT of the glass lower than 70. Not to mention that a windshield has no need for an extra layer of film to filter UV light - it already does that at 99% becuase of the clear layer of plastic inside of it. Tinting a windshield is purely for vanity. "I have sensitive eyes" - the normal excuse people give us for wanting a tinted windshield... buy RayBans.

I'm not saying I agree with all the tint laws (some are incredible stupid and narrow minded - while others are to liberal) - we need the laws, some people can't control themselves without them. There should be one uniform and reasonable law - and then it should be enforced with draconian measures. Illegal tint = car towed and impounded 30 days. 2nd time - lose your license, car and jail. 3rd time - $10,000 and no license until paid. (or something like that.... just making a point is all). If people don't quit breaking the tint laws, the gov. will finally say "ya know what? we gave you the chance, you abused it - so fine. NO MORE TINT. PERIOD." This is why it is already illegal for the most part to use any real darkness in some states (PA, NY etc) - to many abused the tint laws - so they got fed up and punished everyone for the actions of the few LD's that can't learn. Keep tinting darker than legal and there wont be tinting much longer.
I see where you are coming from but there's one all important thing that people seem to keep forgetting, we live in a democracy. The people make the laws, if they'll just stand up and be heard. The government can outlaw tint but we the people have the power to make it legal again.