2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Baked and blackened headlights

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Baked and blackened headlights

I just wanted to show the headlights I did last week. They turned out pretty ok. it definately made a bg difference in the profile as well as head on looks. I will post daytime pix as soon as I can get some. I was undecided on a few options of what to do but this was the outcome for now. I might do it again to change out a couple things. We'll see. Comments welcome. The part I was not sure of was to leave the outter edge chrome or paint black. As you see, I left it chrome. Hmmmmmm

Name:  DSCF2133.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  97.3 KB

Name:  DSCF2112.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  100.9 KB

Name:  DSCF2105.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  73.1 KB

Name:  DSCF2089.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  85.1 KB

Name:  DSCF2126.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  71.3 KB
Old 07-31-2009, 07:53 PM

That looks really sick. I've been toyin with the idea of doin something like this, but I'm afraid to screw up my lights. How can I do it and what would I need to watch out for? Also what kinda paint did you use? Or did you even use paint?
Old 08-02-2009, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thumbs up

Nothing really to watch out for. Just have some patience with you at the time. Bake in oven at 250 degrees for about 20 minutes or untill golden brown. LOL (Just kidding on the golden brown part) Take out of oven and start with the lower corner and pull the tabs gently to "unlock" them. You will most likely have to do this part one at a time as you go. Start to pull the lens corner away from the housing firmly but gently watching for pressure on the next tab or two. It wont just fly apart. It will take a moment to start seperating. The glue will kinda stretch out as you pull. Just keep going and in about 30 seconds you will have it apart. Be careful that the stringy glue doesn't get all over the place. But do not remove it. You WILL be needing some hand protection from the heat. Gloves or a towel or something. I also used a towel on my lap to place headlamp on for best leverage. Once apart, I masked the areas I wanted to leave chrome and then scuffed the remaining areas to be painted. For this I used a purple Scotch Brite pad. It gets into the crevices good. For paint I used an automotive black "trim paint" used for the other parts of your car like wiper arms and such. This can be had at an automotive paint supply company. Once everything was the way I wanted, back into the oven for about another 15 minutes. Then reversed the process putting the rear corner together first then slowly pressing it back into place and then when it was all together, really pressed it hard to make the clips snap back into place. When it is apart you wll see why you put the rear corner together first. It has to kinda slip into place which you could not do if you started with the other end. Hope this helps. Just be cinfident and if not, take it to someone like myself to have it done professionally. I own a custom paint n body shop so it was not a fear factor for me. You will see that you have a couple options on how to paint the housing so use your individuality for this part. Make it your own, and good luck. It really isn't hard, just gut wrentching and time consuming.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:38 PM

Thanks a lot, this is seriously going to come in handy. but I remember hearing that the chrome plating in the light housing is really delicate. How did you mask the sections off?
Old 08-03-2009, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used regular automotive masking tape. the chrome plating was standard and it doesnot peel. But don't rub it to hard or you will rub through the thin coating.maybe that's what they meant by delicate. Just after you mask it, be sure you scuff every area you wanna paint. paint will NOT stick to unprepared surfaces. Scuff right up to the edge of yor masking. Or you will have serious problems.

Last edited by STEELBREEZE; 08-03-2009 at 12:11 AM.